ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas odds

PSUSignore

May 29, 2001
So I'm heading to Vegas soon and thinking of dropping some money on PSU for fun. The initial options that caught my eye were OSU being a 19 point favorite over us, and the 15-1 odds for us to win the Big 10. I like the latter one better. Did any other lines/bets out there catch anyone's attention?

Rationale:
There's a chance going into the OSU game we'll be 6-0. We should be favored in our first 6 games, but of course we may not win them all (I suspect we'll lose 1 somewhere along the way). If we do manage a 6-0 start, I expect the line will not remain at +19. Given that historically we've had some close and low scoring games against the Buckeyes my gut reaction was that 19 points seemed generous. I'm not saying we'll win this game, but with 19 points I'm thinking of taking a gamble. Of course we haven't scored 24+ vs. OSU since 2001, and this OSU team will be loaded on both sides of the ball so that's unlikely to change this year. Even if it does, OSU is certainly capable of hanging 43+ on us anyway to cover.

Also, at 15-1 I like the B1G championship bet purely from an odds perspective. I doubt we'll win it, but this year has a recipe of things that could lead to unexpected success. We have a QB and defense good enough to keep us in every game. We may catch teams off guard given our offensive struggles last year, but entering a 2nd year with the same coaching staff. We have a relatively easy schedule in terms of OOC and cross division games. If the OL can drastically improve, a big if, but if it happens we have the potential to shock some teams and pull some upsets (OSU & MSU). I wouldn't count on any of this happening, but at 15 to 1 it might be worth taking the shot in the dark.

So I'm heading to Vegas soon and thinking of dropping some money on PSU for fun. The initial options that caught my eye were OSU being a 19 point favorite over us, and the 15-1 odds for us to win the Big 10. I like the latter one better. Did any other lines/bets out there catch anyone's attention?

Rationale:
There's a chance going into the OSU game we'll be 6-0. We should be favored in our first 6 games, but of course we may not win them all (I suspect we'll lose 1 somewhere along the way). If we do manage a 6-0 start, I expect the line will not remain at +19. Given that historically we've had some close and low scoring games against the Buckeyes my gut reaction was that 19 points seemed generous. I'm not saying we'll win this game, but with 19 points I'm thinking of taking a gamble. Of course we haven't scored 24+ vs. OSU since 2001, and this OSU team will be loaded on both sides of the ball so that's unlikely to change this year. Even if it does, OSU is certainly capable of hanging 43+ on us anyway to cover.

Also, at 15-1 I like the B1G championship bet purely from an odds perspective. I doubt we'll win it, but this year has a recipe of things that could lead to unexpected success. We have a QB and defense good enough to keep us in every game. We may catch teams off guard given our offensive struggles last year, but entering a 2nd year with the same coaching staff. We have a relatively easy schedule in terms of OOC and cross division games. If the OL can drastically improve, a big if, but if it happens we have the potential to shock some teams and pull some upsets (OSU & MSU). I wouldn't count on any of this happening, but at 15 to 1 it might be worth taking the shot in the dark.

I agree on the spread relative to the tOSU game. tOSU plays MD the week before, and Indy before that. In fact, they have a really easy schedule with only VT as anything close to a tough game before PSU. (they close out with MSU and UM). I'll bet tOSU comes in with several blow outs and is a little big headed. Now, they went to two OT's before winning last year (after being spotted 10 by the refs) so they shouldn't be. But I think they feel that that team was the "old" tOSU and not the one what won the MNC.

Rationale:

My buddy just parlayed Hack for Heisman and us as National Champs.

all I can say is at some point circa 1997 or 1998, I was in Vegas on a bender with some tech buddies and was down to my last $250. So I dropped it all on PSU to cover 13 points against Michigan State (though it could have been NW, did you catch the part where I said it was a bender in Vegas??)

anywho, Joe failed to cover, I wasn't able to get the human party favor I wanted, and started a long standing tradition of NEVER betting on my teams. ever.

Whether the 19 point line moves or not is irrelevant to me.
I would not bet that game PSU +19, as I do not think we are close to OSU.
But that is a much better bet than the 15:1 odds to win Big 10. That is just throwing your money away. We will not beat both MSU and OSU.

This is great thread -- headed out there the first week of August.. can't wait to put some money down so I got just a little extra incentive to cheer a little louder ;)

Rationale:

I think the best bet would be take the over 7.5 wins! We're winning 9 for sure....

Whether the 19 point line moves or not is irrelevant to me.
I would not bet that game PSU +19, as I do not think we are close to OSU.
But that is a much better bet than the 15:1 odds to win Big 10. That is just throwing your money away. We will not beat both MSU and OSU.

Might not have to beat both..

I like the over 7.5 wins and would take a flier on Hack to win the Heisman. I haven't been able to find those odds, so I'm curious about what they'd be.

Rationale:

Phil Steele claims that PSU is one of the best "value bets" in regards to a "total wins" bet (O/U on how many regular season wins any specific team will record - the O/U PSU supposedly opened at 7.5 wins. In other words, 5 or more losses you lose.). Again, for whatever it's worth, Phil Steele lists PSU as one of the best bets in FCS on this O/U bet albeit that is contingent upon the line not changing which it easily can depending on where placed wagers fall (e.g., the line you see when you're in Vegas could be different because it changed.).

Last edited:
If you are looking to go one way or the other, I'd bet the +19 spread. That is way too high. Probably inflated due to OSU's MNC.
I also like the over on the win total.

I don't expect to beat them both either. The whole idea is some fun money on a bet with great payoff odds if by some crazy chance it happens. Any money I gamble in Vegas comes from the "throwaway" fund, I never count on making money there it's just for entertainment purposes and to make things a little more interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT