ADVERTISEMENT

Updated: Where we stand with Recruits 2/9

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Update: 2017!! Star Power!! Let’s hope we can reel it in and keep it committed. For as bad as I did down the stretch with predicting in 2016 I did do pretty well on signing day and I’ve learned a few things for this year about sharing my thoughts with others vs previous years of just keeping my own board. But I love staying on top of this stuff and I hope others have liked me consolidating the information that is out there and all-in-all I didn't do that bad throughout the year picking up on where recruits were trending. This one is really long as our board is very deep at the moment. A little reminder that Commit Watch doesn’t really mean they are going to commit this weekend, but that we are a favorite who is likely to eventually get their commitment.

First up let’s talk about some of the IMG kids. Josh Kaindoh is from MD and has been to campus a number of times and back in August gave and interview “gushing” about Penn State. He is a 5 star though and playing at IMG has the SEC and Clemson & FSU drooling over him. It would be great to add him as soon as possible and make him a leader for this class. If he were to start recruiting for us, he could start in his own locker room. Cam Spence, a DT also from MD had OSU in the lead until this summer where he gave an interview stating that we were his clear leader. At a position of need adding him would be great. Jordan Anthony another former resident of the Old Line state, has Penn State family connections and camped here last summer. His recruitment has switched from OLB to RB and he has interest from the SEC and UMD. Adding all three of them ASAP would be very helpful to getting an early jump on 2017 and changing the negative momentum that the 2015 season and 2016 class finished with. Avery Roberts is a LB prospect from Delaware and the top Delaware recruit since Godwin. We lead and are really down to competing with Nebraska. I think he will be a commit before the season, possibly by Blue White. Mark Webb is a WR from Arch Bishop Wood, which hopefully is becoming a bit of a pipeline for us. He has had us in the lead since his recruitment began and we should see him join up before the BW game. Damani Neal is a MD prospect at safety and a really bright kid. Unfortunately it is very similar to Pryts though in that Stanford is our biggest competition. He has been to campus more than anyone else in the 2017 class and could commit soon, keeping him until he signs his LOI could be tough when he gets his acceptance letter to Stanford.

Robert Hainsey transferred from Gateway to IMG and we were definitely the leader last year and I thought for sure he’d be an early member of this class. Since then based on what I see, I think he is considering more options at the moment. He has tweeted a bunch of Michigan stuff and has even gotten swept up in some 412 Crew nonsense (but then so did Sanders and Hudson and how did that work out). We’ve got to stay on him and get him on campus so he can remember why we were the leader. Fred Hansard to me is one of the most important recruits of this cycle. We were in the lead there too (seeing a theme yet) but he was in Columbus in January and they are definitely the top competitors of ours as well as Ash trying to keep some NJ talent in NJ. Knowing that our commits get their marching orders for recruiting others from Franklin himself, he must deem Hansard a top priority too, as Clifford has been all over him. Hansard was even quoted as saying Clifford is the recruit he has become closest to in the process so far and that they text nearly every other day. David Adams is probably the next most important recruit and could easily follow in the western PA PSU LB tradition. ND and Pitt are the main competition there. C.J. Thorpe, whose father was a running back for Penn State from 85-89, like Adams goes to Central Catholic who we have taken a number of players from recently and Pitt took like 4 of their players last year. Thorpe and Adams have both been to campus many times. Their commitments would go a long way to “dominating the state”. Yetur Matos is a rising prospect out of VA that along with Kaindoh would be our top DE targets for this class. Clemson is the competition there, as they are throughout all of Virginia right now. Damion Barber goes to Harrisburg High and there is already been some talk (I do NOT know if credible) that he is a qualifying risk. Kasim Hill would be the 2nd QB Franklin wanted in this class. He recently got a 4th star from a few services and could continue to gain as camps start this spring.

OT Isaiah Wilson is a top ten national recruit from NYC, he visited for the UM game, but I think that was to see UM not PSU. D’Andre Swift is a 5* RB out of St. Joes Prep in Philly. We were in the lead there so much so at one point that a poster on another board claimed to have inside info from Prep that he was going to eventually commit to PSU. Since then FSU has moved in. I have my own sources around the catholic schools here who have confirmed to me that Franklin is in good with Prep, we’ll see how it shakes out, but without any momentum I don’t think we are, right now, the favorites. Wade is a fringe 5* CB from Clairton (that’s worked out so well for us in the past, eyeroll) and personally I wouldn’t get my hopes up. I think he is OSU bound. He’ll visit Pitt and PSU a number of times but Urban won’t lose this one. We were in early on Micah Clark OT from NJ, but never lead so to speak, but he went to Jr Day at OSU and came out with them as the leader. Jordan McNair OT from MD will be a race against OSU and UMD. Carter Lynch is an OT at Prep who doesn’t talk to the media and protects his tweets. I have to assume we have offered, but no one knows. DE Chase Young has gone gang busters this season and vaulted himself from around a 250 ranking up to top 80. He goes to Dematha and there is a hard Dematha to UMD push going, doubtful he follows Simmons to PSU. DT Donovan Jeter has tweeted many pro PSU things over the last year but is a Pitt legacy. Would be a great pull, but will be a battle. ATH Devon Hunter from VA has visited but is probably a VaTech/Clemson battle. Dalyn Wade-Perry is a smart guy who has visited but we would be battling Stanford for. I think he is likely to pick Stanford. I would like to see us offer OG Ben Petrula from NJ soon, as well as 3* OG Ryan Solt from Wilkes Barre, and 3* DT Kurt Hinish from Pittsburgh Central Catholic.

Overall there is a lot of talent we are after. There are 15 Schollies available for 2017 right now. We should end up with 18-19, BUT that means that early in the season Franklin should accept up to 21-22 because decommits are here to stay. Winning is a necessity to close on some of this top talent. Right now in our recruiting region Michigan and Clemson have all of the momentum and are in on freaking everyone. People shouldn’t sleep on Ash’s honeymoon status either, not that it will last long, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see an early commit to RU that makes you go hmm, but it unlikely to stick. Narduzzi is also walking high on his negative schtick as he continues to collect frequent flier miles that he will use the second he can to get out of Pittsburgh. We control our own destiny in that one though. The other day Judge posted in another thread that Jr Day would be the 27th at Penn State. Hopefully we can get as many of these guys as we can to come.

Commit Watch:
5* DE Kaindoh, 4* RB/LB Anthony, 4* ILB Roberts, 4* DT Spence, 4* S Neal, 4* WR Webb

Very Good Chance:
4* OT Hainsey, 4* DT Hansard, 4* ILB Adams, 4* G Thorpe, 4* DE Matos, 3* DE Barber, 3* QB Hill

In The Battle:
5* OT Wilson, 5* RB Swift, 4* CB Wade, 4* OT Clark, 4* OT McNair, 4* OT Lynch, 4* DE Young, 4* DT Jeter, 4* ATH Hunter, 4* OLB Proctor, 3* DT Wade-Perry

Work Left To Do:
5* RB McFarland Jr., 4* CB Thomas, 4* OLB Singleton, 4* DE Malone-Hatcher, 4* DE Vilain, 4* OG Petrula, 3* TE Dotson, 3* TE Pugh

Have To Get Really Lucky:
4* C Ruiz

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).

Last edited:
Gotta think Haskell Garrett to tOSU helps us with Cam Spence and Fred Hansard.

Garret already gone............

Hopefully it does. I wrote this up this morning, something always happens when I post these. I never thought we were gonna get a kid from Nevada. Worrisome is that Kaindoh jsut got a Crystal Ball to FSU.

Update: 2017!! Star Power!! Let’s hope we can reel it in and keep it committed. For as bad as I did down the stretch with predicting in 2016 I did do pretty well on signing day and I’ve learned a few things for this year about sharing my thoughts with others vs previous years of just keeping my own board. But I love staying on top of this stuff and I hope others have liked me consolidating the information that is out there and all-in-all I didn't do that bad throughout the year picking up on where recruits were trending. This one is really long as our board is very deep at the moment. A little reminder that Commit Watch doesn’t really mean they are going to commit this weekend, but that we are a favorite who is likely to eventually get their commitment.

First up let’s talk about some of the IMG kids. Josh Kaindoh is from MD and has been to campus a number of times and back in August gave and interview “gushing” about Penn State. He is a 5 star though and playing at IMG has the SEC and Clemson & FSU drooling over him. It would be great to add him as soon as possible and make him a leader for this class. If he were to start recruiting for us, he could start in his own locker room. Cam Spence, a DT also from MD had OSU in the lead until this summer where he gave an interview stating that we were his clear leader. At a position of need adding him would be great. Jordan Anthony another former resident of the Old Line state, has Penn State family connections and camped here last summer. His recruitment has switched from OLB to RB and he has interest from the SEC and UMD. Adding all three of them ASAP would be very helpful to getting an early jump on 2017 and changing the negative momentum that the 2015 season and 2016 class finished with. Avery Roberts is a LB prospect from Delaware and the top Delaware recruit since Godwin. We lead and are really down to competing with Nebraska. I think he will be a commit before the season, possibly by Blue White. Mark Webb is a WR from Arch Bishop Wood, which hopefully is becoming a bit of a pipeline for us. He has had us in the lead since his recruitment began and we should see him join up before the BW game. Damani Neal is a MD prospect at safety and a really bright kid. Unfortunately it is very similar to Pryts though in that Stanford is our biggest competition. He has been to campus more than anyone else in the 2017 class and could commit soon, keeping him until he signs his LOI could be tough when he gets his acceptance letter to Stanford.

Robert Hainsey transferred from Gateway to IMG and we were definitely the leader last year and I thought for sure he’d be an early member of this class. Since then based on what I see, I think he is considering more options at the moment. He has tweeted a bunch of Michigan stuff and has even gotten swept up in some 412 Crew nonsense (but then so did Sanders and Hudson and how did that work out). We’ve got to stay on him and get him on campus so he can remember why we were the leader. Fred Hansard to me is one of the most important recruits of this cycle. We were in the lead there too (seeing a theme yet) but he was in Columbus in January and they are definitely the top competitors of ours as well as Ash trying to keep some NJ talent in NJ. Knowing that our commits get their marching orders for recruiting others from Franklin himself, he must deem Hansard a top priority too, as Clifford has been all over him. Hansard was even quoted as saying Clifford is the recruit he has become closest to in the process so far and that they text nearly every other day. David Adams is probably the next most important recruit and could easily follow in the western PA PSU LB tradition. ND and Pitt are the main competition there. C.J. Thorpe, whose father was a running back for Penn State from 85-89, like Adams goes to Central Catholic who we have taken a number of players from recently and Pitt took like 4 of their players last year. Thorpe and Adams have both been to campus many times. Their commitments would go a long way to “dominating the state”. Yetur Matos is a rising prospect out of VA that along with Kaindoh would be our top DE targets for this class. Clemson is the competition there, as they are throughout all of Virginia right now. Damion Barber goes to Harrisburg High and there is already been some talk (I do NOT know if credible) that he is a qualifying risk. Kasim Hill would be the 2nd QB Franklin wanted in this class. He recently got a 4th star from a few services and could continue to gain as camps start this spring.

OT Isaiah Wilson is a top ten national recruit from NYC, he visited for the UM game, but I think that was to see UM not PSU. D’Andre Swift is a 5* RB out of St. Joes Prep in Philly. We were in the lead there so much so at one point that a poster on another board claimed to have inside info from Prep that he was going to eventually commit to PSU. Since then FSU has moved in. I have my own sources around the catholic schools here who have confirmed to me that Franklin is in good with Prep, we’ll see how it shakes out, but without any momentum I don’t think we are, right now, the favorites. Wade is a fringe 5* CB from Clairton (that’s worked out so well for us in the past, eyeroll) and personally I wouldn’t get my hopes up. I think he is OSU bound. He’ll visit Pitt and PSU a number of times but Urban won’t lose this one. We were in early on Micah Clark OT from NJ, but never lead so to speak, but he went to Jr Day at OSU and came out with them as the leader. Jordan McNair OT from MD will be a race against OSU and UMD. Carter Lynch is an OT at Prep who doesn’t talk to the media and protects his tweets. I have to assume we have offered, but no one knows. DE Chase Young has gone gang busters this season and vaulted himself from around a 250 ranking up to top 80. He goes to Dematha and there is a hard Dematha to UMD push going, doubtful he follows Simmons to PSU. DT Donovan Jeter has tweeted many pro PSU things over the last year but is a Pitt legacy. Would be a great pull, but will be a battle. ATH Devon Hunter from VA has visited but is probably a VaTech/Clemson battle. Dalyn Wade-Perry is a smart guy who has visited but we would be battling Stanford for. I think he is likely to pick Stanford. I would like to see us offer OG Ben Petrula from NJ soon, as well as 3* OG Ryan Solt from Wilkes Barre, and 3* DT Kurt Hinish from Pittsburgh Central Catholic.

Overall there is a lot of talent we are after. There are 14 Schollies available for 2017 right now. We should end up with 18-19, BUT that means that early in the season Franklin should accept up to 21-22 because decommits are here to stay. Winning is a necessity to close on some of this top talent. Right now in our recruiting region Michigan and Clemson have all of the momentum and are in on freaking everyone. People shouldn’t sleep on Ash’s honeymoon status either, not that it will last long, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see an early commit to RU that makes you go hmm, but it unlikely to stick. Narduzzi is also walking high on his negative schtick as he continues to collect frequent flier miles that he will use the second he can to get out of Pittsburgh. We control our own destiny in that one though. The other day Judge posted in another thread that Jr Day would be the 27th at Penn State. Hopefully we can get as many of these guys as we can to come.

Commit Watch:
5* DE Kaindoh, 4* RB/LB Anthony, 4* ILB Roberts, 4* DT Spence, 4* S Neal, 4* WR Webb

Very Good Chance:
4* OT Hainsey, 4* DT Hansard, 4* ILB Adams, 4* G Thorpe, 4* DE Matos, 3* DE Barber, 3* QB Hill

In The Battle:
5* OT Wilson, 5* RB Swift, 4* CB Wade, 4* OT Clark, 4* OT McNair, 4* OT Lynch, 4* DE Young, 4* DT Jeter, 4* ATH Hunter, 3* DT Wade-Perry

Work Left To Do:
5* RB McFarland Jr., 4* CB Thomas, 4* OLB Singleton, 4* DE Malone-Hatcher, 4* DE Vilain, 4* OG Petrula, 3* TE Dotson, 3* TE Pugh

4* C Ruiz

My opinion on where we stand with recruits based on rumors, where the coaching staff has made serious effort, offers, tweets (sometimes) and gut feeling. My categories(and their meanings) are Commit Watch (changed from Locks as to not offend recruiting gods), Very good chance(we sit very well with the recruit and are either the leader or perceived leader), In the Battle(We have a good shot and are equal to others or just slightly behind), Work left to do(there is another perceived leader or little information known on recruits intentions), Have to get really lucky(small chance to little to none), and Former Interest(players that Penn State was previously interested in that most likely no longer have committable offers).
Wow, great analysis. You started out apologizing but you didn't need to. We understand the recruiting game and how easy these 17 yr olds can be swayed by the snake oil salesmen. Please keep these reports coming. Job well done!

I have an odd feeling that this is going to be less-than-stellar recruiting class in 2017. By the early indications, It doesn't appear that we have any momentum with a majority of the top-level blue chips. I suspect that many recruits will obviously want to see how we perform on the field in 2016 before making any commitment. This is definitely a contrast against the prior two years when we realized many commitments in the spring and early summer. The only worry I have is the possibility of some our top targets committing to rival schools(with tremendous momentum) very early in the process without giving us the opportunity to display better play on the field this coming year. I hope I am wrong!!

Reactions: TheGLOV
I honestly don't know what to think about the 2017 cycle but I'm not feeling as positive as this time last year. OSU already has 11 verbals from mostly high end kids. A lot of the positive feedback we got from top players was last summer and early fall. We are clearly at a standstill from a momentum standpoint. We need Franklin to keep us in the conversation and then we really need a big win this fall to generate some positive buzz

Overall there is a lot of talent we are after. There are 14 Schollies available for 2017 right now. We should end up with 18-19, BUT that means that early in the season Franklin should accept up to 21-22 because decommits are here to stay. Winning is a necessity to close on some of this top talent. Right now in our recruiting region Michigan and Clemson have all of the momentum and are in on freaking everyone. People shouldn’t sleep on Ash’s honeymoon status either, not that it will last long, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see an early commit to RU that makes you go hmm, but it unlikely to stick. Narduzzi is also walking high on his negative schtick as he continues to collect frequent flier miles that he will use the second he can to get out of Pittsburgh. We control our own destiny in that one though. The other day Judge posted in another thread that Jr Day would be the 27th at Penn State. Hopefully we can get as many of these guys as we can to come.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:
5* OT Wilson, 5* RB Swift, 4* CB Wade, 4* OT Clark, 4* OT McNair, 4* OT Lynch, 4* DE Young, 4* DT Jeter, 4* ATH Hunter, 3* DT Wade-Perry

Work Left To Do:

4* C Ruiz

I just don't want Mich to kick our butts in NJ again, or for OSU to beat us out for any of the top PA kids.

I'm not sure why a 5* RB would want to pick PSU this year when we already have Barkley & Sanders.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

4* C Ruiz

Good opinions as always sir but I'm not getting my hopes up until ALL the faxes are rec'd next years signing day.

You understand I'm sure.

Reactions: bmw199
I just don't want Mich to kick our butts in NJ again, or for OSU to beat us out for any of the top PA kids.

I'm not sure why a 5* RB would want to pick PSU this year when we already have Barkley & Sanders.
Everyone else on Swift's list has 2 or 3 4* running backs on their roster too. Theirs may not be as good as Barkley and Sanders which means PT here might be open sooner than FSU/Clemson/wherever... I don't think that's a valid excuse for not getting Swift.

Everyone else on Swift's list has 2 or 3 4* running backs on their roster too. Theirs may not be as good as Barkley and Sanders which means PT here might be open sooner than FSU/Clemson/wherever... I don't think that's a valid excuse for not getting Swift.
It isn't as big a problem with many recruits as we might think. If Barkley only stays three years then Swift will be in the top two as a Soph.

I have an odd feeling that this is going to be less-than-stellar recruiting class in 2017. By the early indications, It doesn't appear that we have any momentum with a majority of the top-level blue chips. I suspect that many recruits will obviously want to see how we perform on the field in 2016 before making any commitment. This is definitely a contrast against the prior two years when we realized many commitments in the spring and early summer. The only worry I have is the possibility of some our top targets committing to rival schools(with tremendous momentum) very early in the process without giving us the opportunity to display better play on the field this coming year. I hope I am wrong!!

the-sky-is-falling-2-chicken-little.jpg

>How do you know there is no momentum? We didn't get commits last year until Junior Day, 3 weeks from now... so isn't a little early to be complaining about a lack of momentum?

>Did you hear any tweets coming from recruits that said they would not commit to PSU until they see games next Fall?

>"This is definitely a contrast against the prior two years when we realized many commitments in the spring and early summer. "
What is in contrast? Do you realize today is 2/9/16 and both the Spring and early Summer are in the F-U-T-U-R-E?

>Your "only worry" is actually a fact. Some/many will commit before next season, some to us and more to rival schools. We have about 90 offers out now, and may have as many as 150 by the summer, so many more will commit elsewhere but we will still fill a class now projected at 18-20. One would have to consider the 90 offers this early to be our "top targets" so to fill 12-15 spots initially and then fill more with the other players the staff identifies in the spring and summer evaluations as well as late bloomers identified during the 2016 H.S. season we would only need to get about 15% of the "top targets".....

>
"I hope I am wrong" - Hope is not a business strategy , so fortunately for PSU football (and the fans here) CJF is all business and is a proactive recruiter who will also learn from last year's experiences and work tirelessly to bring in a class of great football players.

I am not a doctor and can not prescribe medicines, but you might consider taking something that helps you chill for a few months....

Last edited:
Win 6 games = recruiting will take big hit
Win 7 games = recruiting will be slightly lower than this year
Win 8 games = recruiting will be top 15-20
Win 9+ games = recruiting will be top ten

18-20 scholarship's probably will be available

WIN, THEY WILL COME!!!

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

4* C Ruiz

Really appreciate the effort. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bmw199

I honestly don't know what to think about the 2017 cycle but I'm not feeling as positive as this time last year. OSU already has 11 verbals from mostly high end kids. A lot of the positive feedback we got from top players was last summer and early fall. We are clearly at a standstill from a momentum standpoint. We need Franklin to keep us in the conversation and then we really need a big win this fall to generate some positive buzz
There is no doubt when you are tracking momentum of the different teams that we are not on a good path, but that doesn't mean Franklin doesn't have anything to sell. I point out that the familiar theme is that a lot of these guys were high on us before and now there is competition. Just as quickly as our luck changed it could again with a couple of big commits. This is Penn State and a number of these guys will buy in, not all, but some. The difference between last year and this year is we are starting with way more 4*s on the board than last year. So if we nail the same percentage of 4*s on the board as last year it'll be a higher numeric value. Now there are also more 4*s in our region this year and we also will hopefully close better and have better on field results and less negative momentum.

I would really like to see our staff make two early pushes. One in NJ to restake our claim so to speak. I also think we should concentrate on CJ Thorpe. He is the most likely of the Central kids to commit. It may help turn the other kids heads?

Ohh man.. 2017 has soo much star power, its crazy! I hope we get our fair share of them. If we do well in 2016 (say 8-9 wins) then I think we can land most of them. Regarding swift.. By the time he comes here, barkley should be gone. So our depth chart would be much more favorable than those of FSU, Bama, OSU or others.

Win 6 games = recruiting will take big hit
Win 7 games = recruiting will be slightly lower than this year
Win 8 games = recruiting will be top 15-20
Win 9+ games = recruiting will be top ten

18-20 scholarship's probably will be available

WIN, THEY WILL COME!!!

With 18-20 scholarships given out, it will be very hard to break into the top 10 in recruiting regardless of how many wins the team has.

Ohh man.. 2017 has soo much star power, its crazy! I hope we get our fair share of them. If we do well in 2016 (say 8-9 wins) then I think we can land most of them. Regarding swift.. By the time he comes here, barkley should be gone. So our depth chart would be much more favorable than those of FSU, Bama, OSU or others.

Barkley can't leave until after the 2017 season, at the earliest, so Swift would be in a rotation with both Barkley and Sanders for at least 1 season, and with Sanders for at least 2 seasons, and with Robinson as well. But as someone already pointed out, any of the top programs he is considering already have 2 or more great RB's on their rosters as well....

And injuries are part of the game.

With 18-20 scholarships given out, it will be very hard to break into the top 10 in recruiting regardless of how many wins the team has.

Probably so, but 20 highly ranked kids can make it possible.
In 247's class calculator if you take all the recruits from my top two categories (minus Barber and Hill) plus Swift, Lynch, Solt, and our two recruits (that's only 16 recruits) you would have enough points to be 14th in the 2016 composite rankings

Last edited:
Love this thread! What about Proctor, the LBer? Aren't we in on him as well? Adams, Roberts, Proctor and the young man we have on board from VA would make a very nice quartet of LBers in one class! You can always dream, right?

It would be hard to get there with 18 without recruiting classes like USC traditionally pulls in, with enough 5* and high 4* kids to be top ten with 16-17 verbals. However, I think 20 makes it MUCH easier for PSU if, as I've been told, most of the recruiting sites only consider the top 20 kids per class. We still need to hit a bunch of home runs, but it's definitely doable.

Love this thread! What about Proctor, the LBer? Aren't we in on him as well? Adams, Roberts, Proctor and the young man we have on board from VA would make a very nice quartet of LBers in one class! You can always dream, right?
I did forget to add him. Another MD guy UMD is going to try hard to keep

Great work, potential is there for an amazing class

And as always, next years recruiting class will be bigger than currently expected

Great work, potential is there for an amazing class

And as always, next years recruiting class will be bigger than currently expected

What's "currently expected"? We've got 15 + 1 for each kid that leaves early. We only have 15 juniors and not many NFL prospects. Unless kids are going to have their scholarships yanked we are unlikely to have more than 20 to give. That seems like a reasonable number to me.

OSU already has 11 verbals from mostly high end kids.
Looking at OSU's class so far, they have a 5* OT, a 4* OT, and two 4* DT. so either that should help us with Clark, McNair, Spence, and Hansard or OSU is on there way to the best freaking class of lineman ever.

What's "currently expected"? We've got 15 + 1 for each kid that leaves early. We only have 15 juniors and not many NFL prospects. Unless kids are going to have their scholarships yanked we are unlikely to have more than 20 to give. That seems like a reasonable number to me.

Whatever you want to call what happened with Lynch and Lewis this year will happen again next year, a few will transfer, could see 2 going to the NFL, and we'll end up in the low to mid 20s

Overall there is a lot of talent we are after. There are 15 Schollies available for 2017 right now. We should end up with 18-19, BUT that means that early in the season Franklin should accept up to 21-22 because decommits are here to stay. Winning is a necessity to close on some of this top talent. Right now in our recruiting region Michigan and Clemson have all of the momentum and are in on freaking everyone. People shouldn’t sleep on Ash’s honeymoon status either, not that it will last long, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see an early commit to RU that makes you go hmm, but it unlikely to stick. Narduzzi is also walking high on his negative schtick as he continues to collect frequent flier miles that he will use the second he can to get out of Pittsburgh. We control our own destiny in that one though. The other day Judge posted in another thread that Jr Day would be the 27th at Penn State. Hopefully we can get as many of these guys as we can to come.

Commit Watch:

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:
5* OT Wilson, 5* RB Swift, 4* CB Wade, 4* OT Clark, 4* OT McNair, 4* OT Lynch, 4* DE Young, 4* DT Jeter, 4* ATH Hunter, 4* OLB Proctor, 3* DT Wade-Perry

Work Left To Do:

4* C Ruiz

Yeah I want SOLT and Hinnish offered asap. I understand the staff has there targets but I hope they learned there lesson from the 16 class.....

What the running backs need to realize and Franklin I am sure will sell, is how good our OL will be when they are red shirt freshmen. The depth will be top notch as well.

I think we can land Roberts, Thorpe, and Webb before June, I know we want to and are willing to wait on our top targets but if I'm the staff and there is a high 3 star guy who they think will commit, I give the offer. I like SOLT a lot even though he doesn't have a big head and isn't 6'5" lol

It would be hard to get there with 18 without recruiting classes like USC traditionally pulls in, with enough 5* and high 4* kids to be top ten with 16-17 verbals. However, I think 20 makes it MUCH easier for PSU if, as I've been told, most of the recruiting sites only consider the top 20 kids per class. We still need to hit a bunch of home runs, but it's definitely doable.

Who cares about the actual "ranking" of the class if we can't take as many recruits as other teams ranked higher. If the class has a consensus average "star" rating of 3.5 or above and CJF addresses the needs of the class by position (LB, DT, OL, DB, WR... for 2017) then the class will be great as far as I'm concerned, and it will complement the roster leading to WINS......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT