ADVERTISEMENT

Travel Question: Nova Scotia (Cape Breton), PEI, New Brunswick

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
Heading out later today for a motorcycle vacation through the Canadian provinces. Have been looking through the various websites and travel guides, but am interested if anyone has any personal recommendations.

We will take a couple of days to get there, not expecting to arrive until Friday into Halifax. Should be in the area for about a week.

Any advice/tips/etc. is appreciated.

enjoyed Bay of Fundy at low tide walk out a mile...
also the Cape Breton Highlands Scotch/French heritage mix of folks....go 90 miles across N Atlantic by Ferry....to New Foundland...goofy Newfie jokes and set your watch ahead 1/2 hour ...Aug is the best month so enjoy

Heading out later today for a motorcycle vacation through the Canadian provinces. Have been looking through the various websites and travel guides, but am interested if anyone has any personal recommendations.

We will take a couple of days to get there, not expecting to arrive until Friday into Halifax. Should be in the area for about a week.

Been 25 years since I've been there but just remember the people being really pleasant, eh. Found myself singing songs with most of the passengers on the ferry to PEI. Had to take my Toyota in for a broken headlight while I was there and everyone at the dealership came out to look at how small my car battery was. They're probably still talking about it. Lots of great shorelines and 400 year old churches and stuff to see. Relax and enjoy!!

Ferry to PEI only on the Wood Islands side.
Cabot Trail, NS
As noted, go to somewhere like Truro, NS to see the Fundy tides come in --an amazing sight .
St. Andrews, NB--lovely town --Algonquin Hotel for a drink.
Lobster Supper @ New Glasgow, PEI
and don't know if going to Newfoundland --but the wonderful people

I fell in love with PEI 30 yrs ago.

Which border are you crossing?

If taking 95 (Houlton), make sure to stop in Fredericton.
1. If you like Art Galleries--Beaverbrook has some great works
2. Check out a play in officer square or take a tour with the Calithumpians
3. Take a walk along the river
4. Learn about the history by visiting Fredericton Region Museum in Officer Square
5. If there on Saturday, visit the farmer's market

If crossing at Calais

There are several interesting parks in Saint John (try Irving Nature Park) as well as Reversing Falls.

A must is Hopewell Rocks near Moncton, NB
If you want to camp, try Fundy National Park in Alma (close to Hopewell Rocks)

Alternatively, you can take the ferry from Saint John to Digby, NS

If you do that, you will want to check out the wineries in Annapolis Valley and the Lookoff
Camp at Blomindon Park

If you take the Ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth

You may want to stop in at Liverpool for the Hank Snow museum (if you are a country fan)
Then stop in at Lunnenberg, Mahone Bay, Chester (lots of beaches to visit in this area)

In Nova Scotia,

A must is the Cabot Trail and Ft. Louisbourg (both in Cape Breton)

Around Halifax,

1. Take in an outdoor play (Shakespeare by the Sea) at Point Pleasant Park (audio interpretive tour of park) (go in the evening to catch the sail boats)
2. Visit the Citadel in downtown and have a pint at one of the microbreweries and go for a walk and dinner/ice cream along the Harbourfront
3. If you are into music, see what is playing at the Carleton on Argyle
4. Take in a ghost/history walking tour (evening at Citadel)
5. If you are into the Titanic take in the Museum of the Atlantic or if you want to learn about Canadian Immigration (go to the Pier I Museum)
6. Eat at Chives (Halifax) and Seventy3 (in Dartmouth)
7. If camping, stay at Shubenacadie Park in Dartmouth
8. Take ferry to downtown Halifax from Dartmouth or vice versa
9. If on Saturday, take in the farmers market
10. Visit the famous Peggy's Cove lighthouse (stay away from black rocks). Keep going along south shore to Lunnenberg, Mahone Bay and have lunch or catch a show in Chester
11. Go to any sandy ocean beach (lots to choose from and watch the sunset or go surfing (Lawrencetown Beach)
12. If you like flowers, check out the public gardens.
13. It is the Natal Day long weekend, so check for events, including free concerts

PEI
If you still have time-- going from NS take the ferry
Visit Charlottetown and Cavendish Beach

Take bridge back to New Brunswick

That should keep you busy.

I would meet you for a beer in Halifax, but it is a long weekend, so will be out of town.

Last edited:
Newfoundland will add at least 2 days travel time via Ferry (there and back) and will leave you on either coast.

On west coast--you will want to go Gros Morne Park and then ride up to Lanse Aux Meadows & St. Peters for icebergs and Vikings

On east coast--there is St. John's

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Thanks all. Looking to make this trip next summer. Are Crowbush and Dundarve the 1 and 2 seeds for PEI golf? Any other must plays (Yes I have Cabot Links and Cliffs on the schedule)? Thanks

'Ro I like your idea of advance planning!!

'ro - travel safely and enjoy.....everyone here is looking forward to your posting pics of some hot Canadian babes!

Reactions: eidolon21
Since a couple of people mentioned the tidal bore. A better place is Shubenacadie. If you are really adventurous, try tidal bore rafting. You wait for the tidal bore, then jump into a raft and hit the waves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT