ADVERTISEMENT

TONIGHT.............to the naked eye, Jupiter and Venus collide

I was making plans to watch it until I remembered where I live. Would be nice if the sky were clear around these parts, ever.

You got that right. I don't know where you live but here in Balto. we've had 13+" of rain for the month of June. Spring and so far Summer have SUCKED.

Sunbury Ohio (NE of Columbus) the sky was cloudy due to rain storms passing through the area, but I still went outside about 10:30pm.
There were zero stars visible, and no moon, but Venus and Jupiter were visible. Unfortunately, through the cloud cover they were muted, but still reasonably bright, just not the full impact. I couldn't help wonder if anyone at all noticed. A few weeks ago I pointed out the two planets on a very clear night to a neighbor, who said "oh I wondered what was so bright" and then proceeded on their way. I guess the beauty and mystery of the universe doesn't really interest some; but, I am amazed. For example, this is the farthest confirmed galaxy:
opo1522a.jpg

Now, in a synergy between the Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes, and the giant W. M. Keck Observatory, astronomers have set a new distance record to the farthest redshift-confirmed galaxy. It is so far away the light we receive left the galaxy over 13 billion years ago, and it is just arriving now. Hubble found the galaxy in deep-sky surveys, and Keck's 10-meter-diameter segmented mirror is powerful enough to collect a spectrum from the unusually bright galaxy.

Rather boring unless you can get your mind around 13 billion years; BUT FOR SHEER BEAUTY I like this:
A Rose Made of Galaxies:
heic1107a.jpg

Or the dramatic Pillars of Creation:
heic1501a.jpg

Photos courtesy of: http://www.spacetelescope.org/

Reactions: T J
Sunbury Ohio (NE of Columbus) the sky was cloudy due to rain storms passing through the area, but I still went outside about 10:30pm.
There were zero stars visible, and no moon, but Venus and Jupiter were visible. Unfortunately, through the cloud cover they were muted, but still reasonably bright, just not the full impact. I couldn't help wonder if anyone at all noticed. A few weeks ago I pointed out the two planets on a very clear night to a neighbor, who said "oh I wondered what was so bright" and then proceeded on their way. I guess the beauty and mystery of the universe doesn't really interest some; but, I am amazed. For example, this is the farthest confirmed galaxy:
opo1522a.jpg

Now, in a synergy between the Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes, and the giant W. M. Keck Observatory, astronomers have set a new distance record to the farthest redshift-confirmed galaxy. It is so far away the light we receive left the galaxy over 13 billion years ago, and it is just arriving now. Hubble found the galaxy in deep-sky surveys, and Keck's 10-meter-diameter segmented mirror is powerful enough to collect a spectrum from the unusually bright galaxy.

Rather boring unless you can get your mind around 13 billion years; BUT FOR SHEER BEAUTY I like this:
A Rose Made of Galaxies:
heic1107a.jpg

heic1501a.jpg

Nice pix--and you don't live that far from me....

Reactions: nits74
opo1522a.jpg

A Rose Made of Galaxies:
heic1107a.jpg

heic1501a.jpg

Nice pics. And the sheer magnitude of the Universe and the, now, probability of multiple universes should be of interest to all. If nothing else it should put relatively trivial matters in their proper perspective.

Well the skies in W Pa finally cleared....but now the two planets are fairly far apart. Once again the disgusting Pa weather obscured another celestial event. Amazing how often we have terrible weather when such things occur. :mad:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT