ADVERTISEMENT

Tire shopping/buying suggestions

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
At some point in the last year or two, someone posted a question about tire buying and I suggested tirerack.com, but others said that this was outdated, or at least not the best/only option out there. So, let me ask again, where is the best place on line to shop for tires?

At some point in the last year or two, someone posted a question about tire buying and I suggested tirerack.com, but others said that this was outdated, or at least not the best/only option out there. So, let me ask again, where is the best place on line to shop for tires?
Costco

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr

I think you have to have a membership to shop for tires at Costco.

Tirerack is still a great option. What I typically do is get a quote at Tirerack, then ask a couple local places if they'll match. If they will (including the shipping cost), then I go with the local folks. If they won't, then I find a place that will install Tirerack purchased tires for a small fee, purchase them from Tirerack, and have them shipped to the place that will install them.

Reactions: m3driver
I actually have a groupon for Sam's club... I know that they sell tires. Are they at the same level that Costco is?

I think you have to have a membership to shop for tires at Costco.

Tirerack is still a great option. What I typically do is get a quote at Tirerack, then ask a couple local places if they'll match. If they will (including the shipping cost), then I go with the local folks. If they won't, then I find a place that will install Tirerack purchased tires for a small fee, purchase them from Tirerack, and have them shipped to the play that will install them.

How much do you pay to get your tires rotated if you purchase your tires over the Internet? I purchase higher priced Michelin tires through a local dealership but at least I get lifetime free tire rotation.

I used tirebuyer.com for tires and rims. Prices were better than Tirerack. Had them shipped to local retailer for free, who balanced them and put them on rims for a small fee. Since they were winter tires and I bought in the fall, I didn't have them put on.

Lots of sound advice here. Always check the Internet with Google searches on terms like/similar to "fake Chinese tires" to check if your retailer of choice has gone to the dark side. I predict that fake auto part failures may become a problem for the Chinese and recommend vigilance on all purchases that don't come from your dealer.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I actually have a groupon for Sam's club... I know that they sell tires. Are they at the same level that Costco is?
Sam's Club installation and lifetime services (eg tire rotation, flat repairs etc) are similar to Costco, but I think that Costco's installers are a bit better trained. I found that Both Discount Tire's and Tirerack.com's prices were higher than Costco or Sam's club when compared on an All-in apples to apples basis. The price difference might actually be great enough to justify the annual $50 membership fee.

Last edited:
...Jack Williams Tires not only rotates but also rebalances tires every 5,000 miles at no cost ... they currently have a buy 3 - get 4th one free - sale ...

Jack William's prices are insane (reminiscent of this legend):
18mloubgah0pvjpg.jpg

Continental Cross Contacts are great high mileage tires that I usually am able to find reasonably priced. I have a full sized SUV with 20" rims and found a set of four on Tire Rack for $468. If you get them from the Tire Rack EBay store....you may be able to avoid paying sales tax as well. I did.

Tirebuyer is very good.... Discounttiredirect is very good.... Tirerack used to be great, now just another online tire retailer.... ive used all three and only tirerack disappointed me 1x and that's why i tried their newer competitors and found they were as good/if not better

I have had trouble with tirerack.com. TWICE I have purchased tires that my local mechanic, a guy I've used for years, has refused to mount because they were so far out of balance. His theory was that they sat in a warehouse for a long time. There's a manufacture date on them, likely in code. They were good about replacing them, but it was a hassle to manage.

Shockingly enough, a place where you can usually get GREAT deals on tires is.... hold your breath...... the dealership. I know this sounds like BS, but you'd be surprised. They sometimes have a buy 3 get 1 free which makes them VERY competitive with everyone else. It's worth a call.

Do you mean car dealership or tire dealership? I'm assuming car dealership, because there aren't many tire dealerships...
Yes, car dealerships. Sorry, I should've specified. Hence my saying how surprised you'd be because car dealerships usually rake you over the coals. But for tires, I've seen some great deals out there at the car dealerships. Good luck!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I use to buy my tires and Hawk brake pads form Tirerack, but over the last few years other places have become cheaper when you figure in shipping and taxes. I know get my tires from Discount Tires or Discount Tire Direct. Also, CJ's Tire matches some of those deals. About 5 years ago I started buying Goodyear tires. Other than the GY GT tires they have held up very well. I use to change tires every two years. I'm now going on year 3 on the Assurance tires and 2 years on the TripleTread tires. I think it's worth the extra $25 a tire compared to many of the popular brands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT