ADVERTISEMENT

This is business, not personal…

ShoreLion85

Oct 17, 2016
Changes to college football landscape, conference realignment, NIL, end of regional nature of the sport: none of these changes are good, imo. However, in the poignant words of various Godfather movies, “this is business, not personal”. Though I detest the Big Ten conference with every fiber of my being for how often and how many times they’ve screwed my beloved alma mater - it is better for PSU that we are in it than not.

it’s always better to have a chair when the music stops, and PSU not only has one, but it’s a rather lucrative one. Our non- revenue sports are better funded, we have the financial heft to actually conduct national searches for good coaches, rather than the fake searches of 20+ years ago (Ed DeChellis).

yes, I’ll still hope every Big Ten team other than PSU loses in every sport every game/match (unless a win benefits PSU), yes, I’m violating another of Michael Corleones axioms “never hate your enemies, it affects your judgment”, but I must face financial facts and ugly reality - we should be glad we’re in the BIG.

And now, I’m going to throw up 🤮

R,
SL85
PENN STATE Forever!

If anyone does not agree speak with a Pitt fan, a Syracuse fan even a UNC fan who know that the ACC will not exist and somehow they need to get into the Big 10 or SEC or become irrelevant in NCAA Football........

Totally agree with Shore Lion about how we have been treated......but we are in a strong position now.

Reactions: Obliviax
Changes to college football landscape, conference realignment, NIL, end of regional nature of the sport: none of these changes are good, imo. However, in the poignant words of various Godfather movies, “this is business, not personal”. Though I detest the Big Ten conference with every fiber of my being for how often and how many times they’ve screwed my beloved alma mater - it is better for PSU that we are in it than not.

it’s always better to have a chair when the music stops, and PSU not only has one, but it’s a rather lucrative one. Our non- revenue sports are better funded, we have the financial heft to actually conduct national searches for good coaches, rather than the fake searches of 20+ years ago (Ed DeChellis).

yes, I’ll still hope every Big Ten team other than PSU loses in every sport every game/match (unless a win benefits PSU), yes, I’m violating another of Michael Corleones axioms “never hate your enemies, it affects your judgment”, but I must face financial facts and ugly reality - we should be glad we’re in the BIG.

R,
SL85
PENN STATE Forever!
I feel the same way and perhaps with the expansion of the conference it will dilute the old school midwest power base of this conference. I sometimes wonder if the ACC would have been a better fit back in the day, but we would likely have similar concerns about the Carolina power base running that conference. An ACC with PSU and ND as members would be a power conference, but the depth would not be as strong as the B1G.

R,
SL85
PENN STATE Forever!

Glad to hear you are still a Penn State fan.

Changing and evolving are inevitable phases throughout life.

Standing still and holding on to outdated thinking from the past hinders progress.

Cheer up, Penn State Football is loaded with talent and is expected to have a very good season.

Glad to hear you are still a Penn State fan.

Changing and evolving are inevitable phases throughout life.

Standing still and holding on to outdated thinking from the past hinders progress.

Cheer up, Penn State Football is loaded with talent and is expected to have a very good season.
I am a PENN STATE Alumnus, Class of 1985. Not just a “fan”, but I do agree that we could have a special football season. Our 4-14 Head Coach in the only 2 games that really matter gives me pause, however.

You guys need to remember that all it takes is one idiot in business school to try and compete with the NCAA like LIV did with the PGA

You guys need to remember that all it takes is one idiot in business school to try and compete with the NCAA like LIV did with the PGA
Needs to be a very, very wealthy idiot...........

R,
SL85
PENN STATE Forever!

Thank you Joe Paterno.

R,
SL85
PENN STATE Forever!
I mostly agree but not completely. I agree that it's all about money and that it's better to have a seat at the table than not. But I don't think this is good for college sports and student athletes in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT