ADVERTISEMENT

This Board is not free.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
I've read a number of posts since yesterday that argue that the new format should be free from criticism because this Board is free. It is not. Each person that posts here invests their time and time is never free. In fact, it is the most valuable thing we have because it is limited. The worth of this Board comes from the collective wisdom of its members, not by how much they pay. If you invest your time, you should have the right to complain.

Well said, I think people are just tired of the same thing being said repeatedly. Most of us understand completely what those who used thread view are going through. It would suck having your "go to" way especially used so long stripped away but that way was stripped away from everyone a long time ago because the only person it is convenient for is person using it. It causes confusion because half the time nobody using thread view even seems to know who they are talking to.

And I don't even really consider the paying aspect, you are one of the best people here, Cosmos complains a lot.

I've read a number of posts since yesterday that argue that the new format should be free from criticism because this Board is free. It is not. Each person that posts here invests their time and time is never free. In fact, it is the most valuable thing we have because it is limited. The worth of this Board comes from the collective wisdom of its members, not by how much they pay. If you invest your time, you should have the right to complain.

Spot on, brother. And the collective knowledge and insight so many bring here makes this experience, well, invaluable (not necessarily incalculable). and the thread post style made it infinitely easier to spot those treasures. this is significantly harder. nice for some; not so much for others.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles

Definitely not free. I wish I could just be clueless and ignore reality. Instead the discussions and information sharing here over the past 3.5 years has taken years off my life in frustration. ;).

Certainly people have the right to complain, however, some of these posters seem to be drama queens about it. There are changes going on all the time, you adjust. Here's what's hard to understand, you give change a period of time to become comfortable with it and then make your decision.

Certainly people have the right to complain, however, some of these posters seem to be drama queens about it. There are changes going on all the time, you adjust. Here's what's hard to understand, you give change a period of time to become comfortable with it and then make your decision.
I agree that the best course is to give this new format at least a week or two before making a decision. I was very comfortable with the old style, but I am slowly learning how to navigate through the changes. I hope most of the long time posters will stay the course and stick around.

How long are people going to complain about something that isn't going to change? How many threads are people going to start all complaining about the same thing? Enough already.

Point of clarity. It is free of charge.

you're right about that. but this one is ez for me. i've tried working in topic view in the past and found it cold and lacking in usefulness. this current format is not well suited for those of us who use a pc and since i have no plan of spending my time using a phone to play here, it affords little value. for me. you like it, that's cool. but quite a few do not, and that is not cool... and it's a shame it's gone this way.

So your theory is because you show up, your invested, and that gives you the right to complain? Interesting.

I agree that the best course is to give this new format at least a week or two before making a decision. I was very comfortable with the old style, but I am slowly learning how to navigate through the changes. I hope most of the long time posters will stay the course and stick around.
Will give the new format a couple months before making a final decision, but if the decision were made today it would be to end the subscription.

Reactions: BudatPSU
So your theory is because you show up, your invested, and that gives you the right to complain? Interesting.
Absolutely. Now, I am not suggesting that someone should voice the same complaint over and over, day after day, but it's only been a couple of days. I think most people who bitch will vent their frustrations and slowly adjust.

Absolutely. Now, I am not suggesting that someone should voice the same complaint over and over, day after day, but it's only been a couple of days. I think most people who bitch will vent their frustrations and slowly adjust.
I guess I am more of the school of thought "you get what you pay for." That said, people complaining about the new format don't bother me. It sort of makes me laugh.

How long are people going to complain about something that isn't going to change? How many threads are people going to start all complaining about the same thing? Enough already.

people complained about the old board being antiquated, not setup well for mobile devices and look what happened.

For those who were paying for premium and are unhappy, call Rivals. If you are month-to-month, they'll likely give you 3 months free if you tell them you want to leave

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Well said. I mean, I simply can't believe that a corporation wouldn't have called up each and every one of the complaining faction on the BWI board to get their personal input on the hardships that not having thread view would result in. Just take it day by day everyone - you'll get by.... you'll get by.

Neither is the cost to develop software. The cost to develop a board in thread view out weighs the revenue that would be gained from still having a board with thread view.

Rivals made a simple business decision. Did the movie companies lose customers by stopping production of movies for VCRs? Of course they did but it would cost far more to produce movies for the VCR then they would make from those customers still using it.

That may be the biggest stretch of logic I've ever heard. This board is for entertainment purposes. It is absolutely free. Any "collective wisdom" is a benefit to you, the user.

I've read a number of posts since yesterday that argue that the new format should be free from criticism because this Board is free. It is not. Each person that posts here invests their time and time is never free.

In that case you owe me $5 for this post.

But for everyone else here, my posts are free - or at least until they add a feature where I can bill BWI for my wonderfully, insightful posts. :rolleyes:

In that case you owe me $5 for this post.

But for everyone else here, my posts are free - or at least until they add a feature where I can bill BWI for my wonderfully, insightful posts. :rolleyes:
Your posts take time and time is money. Your return for your payment is the collective wisdom, or lack thereof, of the other posters. My whole point was if you invest time, you have a right to complain.

Your posts take time and time is money. Your return for your payment is the collective wisdom, or lack thereof, of the other posters. My whole point was if you invest time, you have a right to complain.

This is a free board as nobody is paying for your time on here. You can complain or you can leave, but I hope they don't change it as those that don't deal with change well tend to have static topics/views anyway. The funny thing is you'll read this and respond to it just like you did 10 days ago, but you just need to gripe. Let it out, let it all out I guess, but you are participating just fine in spite of a crazy change from thread to topic view.

This is a free board as nobody is paying for your time on here. You can complain or you can leave, but I hope they don't change it as those that don't deal with change well tend to have static topics/views anyway. The funny thing is you'll read this and respond to it just like you did 10 days ago, but you just need to gripe. Let it out, let it all out I guess, but you are participating just fine in spite of a crazy change from thread to topic view.
I have been less critical of the change than of those who are critical of those who are critical of the change simply because they invest no money, only time. To me, someone who makes substantive posts here has contributed more of value that someone who sends money to a paid board and contributes nothing of substance.

I have been less critical of the change than of those who are critical of those who are critical of the change simply because they invest no money, only time. To me, someone who makes substantive posts here has contributed more of value that someone who sends money to a paid board and contributes nothing of substance.

If you need to justify that in your head, so be it. Bottom line is this is a free site. I let my account expire for the first time in probably a decade with Rivals and it was before this huge and drastic change (sarcasm). A message board is about the posts and content and that is where there is "value". I get that people don't like change, but I don't have patience for grown men crying over basically nothing. Sorry, but that is where I'm at.

Reactions: psuguy04
From my observations of the reactions to the changes, this board is in the minority. Posters here embraced the thread view and made it work to their advantage. For example, at first I did not know why posters would change the title when replying. Complaints about the lack of thread view has not been a big issue on the other boards I frequent...

Hey psute. What do you think of the Pitt AD hire...Scott Barnes from Utah State?

Reading this post wasted my time. You now owe me compensation.

ADVERTISEMENT