ADVERTISEMENT

The Anvil breezed into Fargo Greco finals

I'm with El-Jefe on this one. When has Cenzo been at 157? He wrestled 152 his senior year in HS. He indicated in March that he plans to be at 149 at the start of his college career. (You can read the article, which I posted and linked at the time it came out, at THIS LINK.) Did Cenzo say something differently on Takedown Radio in his recent interview?

tjb is usually pretty good with his projections. Still, I do wonder if Cenzo will be able to make 149 in 3 years -- which is the timeframe of tjb's projection.

I thought plan was for him to START redshirt year at 149 and move to 157, can't remember if that was the radio interview or where, but he isn't staying at 149 with Zain there, I'll promise that. I don't see him going up to drop back down, we all know that's not Cael's style. I Didn't mean to confuse, I was speaking to the possible future scenario

Last edited:
Switching back to actual results, in junior men's FS at Fargo, here's how The Anvil has done:

R1 - bye
R2 - pin in 29 sec
R3 - 4-0 dec over Dan Kelly (Iowa)
Quarters - pinned by Larry Early (Minny commit) at 5:06

As such, he's now dropped into the consolations.

Interestingly, Hayden Hidlay (PA), who bested The Anvil in the Greco finals, lost in R3 in FS to Evan Wick (CA), 14-13.

Kind of glad we have so much depth in the middleweights, because Manville is nowhere near ready to start, could use 2 years in the room before being thrown out there

If trackwrestling is right, Manville lost to early 8-2.

Thanks Butch. Track has Manville/Hidlay up next on the backside.

Tom, do you happen to know what the score was prior to the fall?

Not exactly.

It was 0-2, then 0-4 in the 1st period.

Then is was 2-4 in the 2nd period. Then Early hit a 4-point move, making it 2-8. At that point I got interrupted, and when I checked again the match was over.

Imo and many others Conaway was a small 133 to begin with and could you give me a few other examples of Cael doing this as I'm unaware of many? Thank you

Cael may be less apt to do that than many other coaches, but, given the right circumstances, he did it with Conaway. That's my only point. James Vollrath bumped up to 165 a few years back and then went back down to 157 when David Taylor moved up the next season. Zack Beitz is reportedly adding weight to try to win the job at 165 this year. I bet Cael would let him drop back down if the need arises as long as he could do it safely and without compromising his performance.

I watched the Manville/Early match. I didn't think it ended in a pin, and Trackwrestling & Flo both list it as an 8-2 final. Manville was losing 4-2 late in the match, got a little desperate, and was taken down to his back. The 4-2 score was a little deceptive though. Early was in control the whole way, I thought.

It was 4-0 Early in first. Two nice low singles, MM with no scoring opportunities. With about a minute to go, MM scores on a go behind after stuffing an Early attempt, 4-2 Early. With about 10 secs to go, MM tries a desperation head pinch, Early gets 4 to make it 8-2. Honestly, I think the head pinch was the only attack he had the whole match. He looked like he was wrestling Greco - did not attack the legs once.

Imo and many others Conaway was a small 133 to begin with and could you give me a few other examples of Cael doing this as I'm unaware of many? Thank you

Conway was PA state champ at 113 as a senior. He wasn't just a small 133, IMHO he was a rather small 125 last year,

Wonder if Cael going to keep his offer to Manville or reduce it(aka Haines)?

Nice troll post togs. Since we don't know what, if anything, Cael offered Haines OR Manville. But you already knew that you just wanted to TROLL.

The equivalent post on your board by a PSU fan would be, I wonder if Smith is going to yank Marstellar's ship if he doesn't produce at 157 this season?

Nice troll post togs. Since we don't know what, if anything, Cael offered Haines OR Manville. But you already knew that you just wanted to TROLL.

The equivalent post on your board by a PSU fan would be, I wonder if Smith is going to yank Marstellar's ship if he doesn't produce at 157 this season?
I thought it was a pretty good Troll post myself. There is always offers and since Manville can get a offer by "In Cael we trust" this month, and if it was a good one for Manville I'm sure Cael will be doing about face right now! This is only a verbal and a recruit can change his mind at anytime until signing, but another Haines situation, creditability by a coach is pretty important to a recruit! As for Marsteller ship he better produce or I'm going to kick his ##s! Joe Smith looking good at 157, also with Blees there too. Chance will move up the following year to 165 after Alex third NC ("Third" that's one more then David Taylor and Ed Ruth). Wow, now that is a good follow up for a Troll.

I thought it was a pretty good Troll post myself. There is always offers and since Manville can get a offer by "In Cael we trust" this month, and if it was a good one for Manville I'm sure Cael will be doing about face right now! This is only a verbal and a recruit can change his mind at anytime until signing, but another Haines situation, creditability by a coach is pretty important to a recruit! As for Marsteller ship he better produce or I'm going to kick his ##s! Joe Smith looking good at 157, also with Blees there too. Chance will move up the following year to 165 after Alex third NC ("Third" that's one more then David Taylor and Ed Ruth). Wow, now that is a good follow up for a Troll.
Did Ed Ruth get a National Championship title deducted in the past year that I don't know about?

Chance will move up the following year to 165 after Alex third NC ("Third" that's one more then David Taylor and Ed Ruth). Wow, now that is a good follow up for a Troll.

Did Ed Ruth get a National Championship title deducted in the past year that I don't know about?

Togs' is good for the occasional comic relief. NoVa nailed him for his troll post, and then Chickenman nailed him on his reply to NoVa.

Third is one more than Ruth? Nuff said, that make's you not only a troll but CLUELESS.

Third is one more than Ruth? Nuff said, that make's you not only a troll but CLUELESS.
Wow can't believe I made that mistake, "Clueless". I figured this troll was going to get better replies from you guys! Manville will be on the market in two months because of reduction of ship money!

Wow can't believe I made that mistake, "Clueless". I figured this troll was going to get better replies from you guys! Manville will be on the market in two months because of reduction of ship money!

I hope Coach Sanderson doesn't go back on anything he promised. But it does appear that anything Manville was promised could have been better spent elsewhere.
Of course I hope I am completely wrong.

BTW, we know exactly what Haines was offered by Cael initially: ZERO! Remember, it was the first day wrestlers were allowed to discuss money with the coach that Nevills committed. Not Cael's fault Haines initially committed without knowing how much money he was getting.

BTW, we know exactly what Haines was offered by Cael initially: ZERO! Remember, it was the first day wrestlers were allowed to discuss money with the coach that Nevills committed. Not Cael's fault Haines initially committed without knowing how much money he was getting.
Exactly.

The faux outrage from one of the charter members of the Midwestern Wrestling Mafia is charming. Cael's success kills them. We heard that Haines-gate would hurt Cael in recruiting Pa - whoops, he lands Nolf (the real crown jewel of the state's crop that year) soon after

This is the same Tognetti who swore up and down that Pico and Hall were both transferring to Stilly High.

He's like the recruiting version of the Goofer National Champions t-shirt.

Reactions: jtothemfp
This is the same Tognetti who swore up and down that Pico and Hall were both transferring to Stilly High.

He's like the recruiting version of the Goofer National Champions t-shirt.

Somehow... I get the impression that Mikey... is a bald headed dude with buck, gopher teeth and keeps his head... when it fits... in a gopher hole and has pictures of ED RUTH... each three years he won a title... plastered to his troll hide away. Problem is... Mikey can't count... and YES... MIKEY likes it... being a TROLL.

troll-2.jpg

Reactions: JUBAN
SHP, you sure haven't been around to make that statement. Saint Cael sure wouldn't do something like that, get real choir boy!

I hope Coach Sanderson doesn't go back on anything he promised. But it does appear that anything Manville was promised could have been better spent elsewhere.
Of course I hope I am completely wrong.

Verbal commitments are a two way street. Manville quit Blair and has focused on Greco since giving his. Considering this change in circumstance, Sanderson is under no obligation to follow through on anything discussed up to that point. Manville did reaffirm his commitment soon after leaving Blair however I would think the coaches knew this could be a problem and readjusted his offer or made it conditional on certain performance parameters. Given his showings at the last few freestyle events, I suspect he will be coming in for a smaller scholarship amount or may not make it to State College at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
This thread has turned into overreaction city. One bad tournament and everyone is throwing out the babies with the bathwater.

You can't win everything all the time. It's not like the guys he's lost to are chumps, they're highly ranked national recruits. Give them some credit.

Based on some of the comments here I'd think a few folks would've benched Q on our first championship run. The big picture is what matters. No one will care about how Manville did in this tournament in a few years. Learn from it and move on. I trust Cael will maximize Mason's abilities.

Far from an overreaction to one tournament:

Dropped out of Blair;
Focused on Greco;
Poor showing at Jr. Nationals;
Poor showing at Fargo.

Furthermore, it's not that he isn't winning tournaments, that's a straw argument that no one said, it's that he's not even being very competitive, especially considering his top 10 pfp status that is surely going to drop. Very reminiscent of Baldasaro from NJ a few years ago; the coaches should be leery.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Don't see how dropping out of Blair to wrestle with the Storm could be perceived as anything but trying to improve. He has olympic aspirations. And I guess we have different definitions of poor/competitive. 2 and 7/8 at a National tournament is fine by me. He consistently places at top tournaments.

If you're saying he doesn't deserve the #2 overall ranking, that's fine, but it means nothing in terms of his folkstyle success. He is a hammer and is going to be very good. Not every recruit is a David Taylor or Logan Stieber.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
ADVERTISEMENT