ADVERTISEMENT

The Anvil breezed into Fargo Greco finals

I thought he won a senior level Greco-Roman tournament this year so I'm surprised to see him go down to a fellow high schooler. Didn't seem very pleased about it either. Gave him a shove after the whistle and then did the macho chest bump thing afterwards as they shook hands.

Is Manville the favorite for free?

I thought he won a senior level Greco-Roman tournament this year so I'm surprised to see him go down to a fellow high schooler. Didn't seem very pleased about it either. Gave him a shove after the whistle and then did the macho chest bump thing afterwards as they shook hands.

Is Manville the favorite for free?
Yes.
He was the Greco favorite.

With that hardworking attitude..Give him some time with Cael........................................Nuf Said

For me, Manville has done nothing to impress since committing. He's lost more matches than ever before and I'm not a fan of the post match extras.

Reactions: mike tognetti
For me, Manville has done nothing to impress since committing. He's lost more matches than ever before and I'm not a fan of the post match extras.
He has topped out already, a warrior on the mat, can't out muscle upper tier wrestlers and just not athletic enough (already well coached). Good chance he won't make the starting lineup, unless he goes 149 after Retherford leaves (which is a 4 years from now). Nolf is a stud and should stay at 157, could win a few NC at that weight!

He has topped out already, a warrior on the mat, can't out muscle upper tier wrestlers and just not athletic enough (already well coached). Good chance he won't make the starting lineup, unless he goes 149 after Retherford leaves (which is a 4 years from now). Nolf is a stud and should stay at 157, could win a few NC at that weight!

Mike - although there are grains of truth in what you say, as usual, you are off the mark.

I'm a huge fan of athletic ability and potential, but too many people fall in love with it. Focus, hard work, attitude, plus attention to academics usually play into D1 success as much as athletic ability and potential. By all accounts - and I'm one of the accounts, been watching this kid since the 6th grade wrestle all over - MM is a pretty good bet to excel in these areas. He's going to be very successful in college - what the end result of the success remains to be seen.

He is also taking a very unusual path to D1, so his results might not always seem consistent.

There ARE some lineup issues with him at PSU, however, and we will have to see how everything plays out.

There's a Penn State fan on TheMat who's been beating this same drum. Lemon pie.

I hear what you're saying, but it's always tough to address foibles of our own guys/recruits - if only because gadflies of rival fanbases (e.g. Mikey Toggs, Pajamas) love to make hay regarding these types of posts. Mike's post here is fair, but who knows what gets posted on other sites.

I hope he hasn't peaked and will improve once he gets here. I do agree that the mounting losses are troubling. He's not losing to scrubs, but ... You compare his trajectory to Nolf and it's almost the opposite. Nolf was grinding out tough matches and then exploded into another gear (or gears) as an upperclassman. Then Nolf picks up freestyle and gives even Hall a good scrap at a higher weight.

Let's not stick a fork in the kid before he even shows up on campus. A LOT can happen between now and 2020 and I'm rooting for him.

Reactions: dnit
Just watched the finals match on FLO, Really the match was decided on a great headlock move by Hidlay which in my opinion would have resulted in no control for hidlay and a 2 point takedown for Manville in folkstyle. the worst case there in folkstyle is 2-2 score.....Folkstyle is so different, I have not watched many Manville matches but when I have it seems to be Freestyle or Greco..which is all on your feet type stuff. How good is Manville on the Mat???

A couple of my opinions
1. Even when he loses in the matches I have seen it never seems to be because the other guy is much better
2. His Motor is Great, even in this match he is often quickly back to the middle waiting for his opponent
3. He hates to lose....which is true about all the great wrestlers

4. I really did not like the push at the end of this match..Bush league and I hope it was just a momentary frustration that someone will talk to him about, he is embarrassed about and never happens again.

PSU wrestlers don't cut to the point they disappear when turning sideways, unlike other schools.

Regarding the rest of this: Manville wins 5 matches by TF or fall, then loses to the #1 kid in the nation at his (Hidlay's) weight on a Greco move that would be scored very differently in folk ... Manville must be topped out.

Unless, of course, he transfers to Stilly High. Then the sky's the limit.

Disclaimer here: I will ALWAYS root for a kid like that, and refuse to bash him. He's working to get better and I hope he puts me to shame with his wrestling in the future, just saying that it seems like since his commitment to PSU he's dropped a peg in terms or top tier wrestlers around that weight

Fargo JR FS brackets out. The Anvil gets Larry Early in the quarters.

Disclaimer here: I will ALWAYS root for a kid like that, and refuse to bash him. He's working to get better and I hope he puts me to shame with his wrestling in the future, just saying that it seems like since his commitment to PSU he's dropped a peg in terms or top tier wrestlers around that weight

Maybe once you commit to a school, you become more of a target then you already are. No worries at this point.

Fargo JR FS brackets out. The Anvil gets Larry Early in the quarters.
Add Hidlay, Parriot, and Kraisser (just a quick glance of names I recalled), and that's one heck of a bracket. This is easily my favorite tournament of the year.

The Anvil manned up -- and volunteered to do so. Great to see.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mason approached us about getting this apology up. I think it was in the spirit of our sport: Make mistakes &amp; learn. <a href="http://t.co/nwtIFLlQgr">http://t.co/nwtIFLlQgr</a></p>&mdash; Christian Pyles (@CPyles8) <a href="">July 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Meh...some would say Chance topped out Tognetti. Manville will be good, always moving forward, aggressive and dedicated. By the time he is ready to get into the lineup, Nolf should be at 165. I'd take him.

Not a big Twitter fan, too many folks posting (or is it "tweeting") without thinking. But I did go out and look at a couple of Mason's entries. Sure seems like a kid that has it together. Chalk the Hidlay "antics" up to the "heat of the moment", and a learning experience. Shake hands, congratulate your opponent, then use the loss as a positive by getting better.

Need some feed back from the PSU faithful, Would PSU lineup be better with Nolf at 157 or 165 at Nationals just to get Mason in the lineup? I see Joseph being the better wrestler in college at157.

Need some feed back from the PSU faithful, Would PSU lineup be better with Nolf at 157 or 165 at Nationals just to get Mason in the lineup? I see Joseph being the better wrestler in college at157.

I see the future after Retherford is the following:

Joseph at 149lbs
Manville at 157lbs
Nolf at 165lbs
Rasheed at 174lbs
Nickel at 184lbs
Cassar at 197lbs
Nevills at Hwt

This is based off of the people on the team and those that are commited. This also won't happen for a few years, but that's a gauntlet.

I see the future after Retherford is the following:

Joseph at 149lbs
Manville at 157lbs
Nolf at 165lbs
Rasheed at 174lbs
Nickel at 184lbs
Cassar at 197lbs
Nevills at Hwt

This is based off of the people on the team and those that are commited. This also won't happen for a few years, but that's a gauntlet.

Doubt Cenzo bulks up to 157 only to drop back down, we really don't see that with Coach Cael. I'd predict Cenzo stays at 157.

I think he means probable scenario is Cenzo shirts then goes 157 and Nolf goes up.

Doubt Cenzo bulks up to 157 only to drop back down, we really don't see that with Coach Cael. I'd predict Cenzo stays at 157.

I'm with El-Jefe on this one. When has Cenzo been at 157? He wrestled 152 his senior year in HS. He indicated in March that he plans to be at 149 at the start of his college career. (You can read the article, which I posted and linked at the time it came out, at THIS LINK.) Did Cenzo say something differently on Takedown Radio in his recent interview?

tjb is usually pretty good with his projections. Still, I do wonder if Cenzo will be able to make 149 in 3 years -- which is the timeframe of tjb's projection.

That article was well before we knew of Zain going to 149. Doubt he will want to be Zain's backup for multiple years. Best way to get him in lineup after a redshirt is 157 if Nolf indeed moves up as many have speculated he might.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT