ADVERTISEMENT

Temple ???

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
Apparently, Temple will be a tougher opponent than one might expect. There defense has been mentioned as one of the better ones in the country, especially their secondary.
Kind of good news since we "need" to improve week to week to get better. If the early opponents are too soft it can be very misleading. Three months to wait, are you kidding me??

Apparently, Temple will be a tougher opponent than one might expect. There defense has been mentioned as one of the better ones in the country, especially their secondary.
Kind of good news since we "need" to improve week to week to get better. If the early opponents are too soft it can be very misleading. Three months to wait, are you kidding me??
Calling a 6-6 MAC team one "of the best defenses in the nation", might be a bit of a stretch, but they are good, and will provide a test for this offensive line. We have 5 four star receivers, 2 great tight ends, one good running back, and what is regarded as the best drop back quarterback in the nation, so if we lose this game, there are zero excuses.

We're the better team --- but these aren't the 1990s versions of Temple anymore. Each of our last 4 games against Temple has had some tricky moments, it's been since 2009 since we last truly blew them out of the water.

We handled Temple easily last year. Rutgers was a much better team.

I agree with you. Temple is quietly recruiting decent players from surrounding areas and their defense will be challenging. Lincoln Financial Field has a good chance of selling out and will be rocking . Hopefully hack will get a great start as he did in Dublin last year.

Calling a 6-6 MAC team one "of the best defenses in the nation", might be a bit of a stretch, but they are good, and will provide a test for this offensive line. We have 5 four star receivers, 2 great tight ends, one good running back, and what is regarded as the best drop back quarterback in the nation, so if we lose this game, there are zero excuses.

They are actually in the AAC, not the MAC.

I do not think their offense will be much of a challenge. My point was they will be a "decent" team to open the season with, especially given our OL issues. Actually, if all goes well and we have a substantial lead late in the game we will get a chance to further develop depth. For the most part all of the first 6 games could give us that opportunity.

Lincoln Financial Field has a good chance of selling out and will be rocking .

Unlikely and likely.

I'd be stunned if the Linc was sold out for the PSU game. It hasn't sold out in prior PSU games, and this one is taking place on Labor Day weekend.

It is likely that the Linc will be rocking. Temple students do get up for the PSU game, and the PSU fans generally get into it if/when PSU does well.

The last time I was at the Linc for a PSU game we nearly lost and may well have if Pierce didn't get dinged up. Bolden and Mox were battling it out for "biggest loser" and two months later Penn State as I knew it fell off the face of the earth. Not going back.

Temple has not been in MAC for years. Calling you a college football fan might be a stretch.

Bleacher report says Temple is our toughest OOC opponent:

"In years past, having Temple be the toughest game on the nonconference slate would mean Penn State was going really heavy on the cream-puff opponents since the Owls were routinely one of the worst programs in FBS. But Temple brings back 19 starters from a team that went 6-6 last season."

I just think a better "test" than usual for the our OL :)

Bleacher report says Temple is our toughest OOC opponent:

"In years past, having Temple be the toughest game on the nonconference slate would mean Penn State was going really heavy on the cream-puff opponents since the Owls were routinely one of the worst programs in FBS. But Temple brings back 19 starters from a team that went 6-6 last season."

I just think a better "test" than usual for the our OL :)
A test for our offensive line, and a test for their offensive line also.

We have a fairly good defense coming back also.

Temple is not going to be an easy game. Their QB is a fine athlete, he is dual threat with a fast WRs. On defense, their LBs are excellent. Remember this is first game for teams but Temple has more experience.

Temple is not going to be an easy game. Their QB is a fine athlete, he is dual threat with a fast WRs. On defense, their LBs are excellent. Remember this is first game for teams but Temple has more experience.

The game will be close, and difficult. Those forcasting doom however, should remember that Penn State will have probably 50 percent of the crowd, one of the top 5 defenses in the game, and the number one draft selection at quarterback. If PSU loses on opening day, it will be an upset.

Reactions: fairgambit
The game will be close, and difficult. Those forcasting doom however, should remember that Penn State will have probably 50 percent of the crowd, one of the top 5 defenses in the game, and the number one draft selection at quarterback. If PSU loses on opening day, it will be an upset.

Despite my "thinking" Temple is better than they have been for a while we "should" win by 14-20 points. I believe we will be substantially better than we were last year. Why ... second year under Franklin, maturity of OL and WRs, greater speed in the backfield and better depth across the board on defense, especially the secondary.
As for the crowd, roughly 80% will be PSU. Oops, almost forgot Hack is year older and wiser :)

Reactions: Bygsky
Despite my "thinking" Temple is better than they have been for a while we "should" win by 14-20 points. I believe we will be substantially better than we were last year. Why ... second year under Franklin, maturity of OL and WRs, greater speed in the backfield and better depth across the board on defense, especially the secondary.
As for the crowd, roughly 80% will be PSU. Oops, almost forgot Hack is year older and wiser :)

We can make the same claim, and no, it won't be 80% PSU.

We can make the same claim, and no, it won't be 80% PSU.

Well, in my personal experience attending many many Temple/PSU games at the "Linc" it has ALWAYS been at least 80% PSU sometimes more. Almost always near sellout. That being said, I am a "fan" of both teams, but facts are facts :) I also attend 2-3 Temple games every year.

Reactions: NelsonMunce
Is everyone forgetting we beat this team 30-13 last year and that we also return the bulk of our starters?

Well, in my personal experience attending many many Temple/PSU games at the "Linc" it has ALWAYS been at least 80% PSU sometimes more. Almost always near sellout. That being said, I am a "fan" of both teams, but facts are facts :) I also attend 2-3 Temple games every year.

I'm a graduate of both schools, and even though I have season tix for PSU, I still get to at least 2 TU football and hoops games a year. In my experience, there won't be 80% PSU fans, but I think the majority of fans there will be PSU. Temple Athletics marketing is throwing the kitchen sink at this game, so I think there will be more TU fans than usual, but I'm guessing 60/40 PSU fans at the link.

I'm a graduate of both schools, and even though I have season tix for PSU, I still get to at least 2 TU football and hoops games a year. In my experience, there won't be 80% PSU fans, but I think the majority of fans there will be PSU. Temple Athletics marketing is throwing the kitchen sink at this game, so I think there will be more TU fans than usual, but I'm guessing 60/40 PSU fans at the link.

Well, hope you are right, it will make for a fun time :)

Last game was 50/50 in 2011.

This, from an ESPN article about the game: The parking lots were stuffed with Owls fans, who tailgated and belted out the fight song hours before kickoff. Still, the game was well short of a sellout and the white shirts that colored large chunks of the stadium made it look like a signature Happy Valley "Whiteout."

I was at that game and it was about 70/30 PSU. No way anyone who attended the game could think it was 50/50.

I was at the game as well and would agree on the percentage. I mentioned I support both schools. Actually at the game, had great seats on the 50 on the PSU side, I wore a PSU sweat shirt and a Temple baseball cap :)

I was also at the game but won't attend this year. The Temple fans were were low lifes and wore F@CK Penn State Tee shirts to the game. Cowbell man was physically attacked in the stands and he needed security to break things up. The sound system was particularly annoying trying to make up for what I would guess was a 65-35% PSU attendance. All in all a very unpleasant event. I hope we win handily and believe we will, although I do admire the job their coach is doing now. Temple will be successful in the future but only against the weak competition in their league. Their meager attendance of 25k for most games in a 70k off campus stadium prevents them from truly building a program, and any successful coach seems to get hired away.

Last edited:
I was also at the game but won't attend this year. The Temple fans were were low lifes and wore F@CK Penn State Tee shirts to the game. Cowbell man was physically attacked in the stands and he needed security to break things up. The sound system was particularly annoying trying to make up for what I would guess was a 65-35% PSU attendance. All on all a very unpleasant event. I hope we win handily and believe we will, although I do admire the job their coach is doing now. Temple will be successful in the future but only against the weak competition in their league. Their meager attendance of $25k for most games in a 70k off campus stadium prevents them from truly building a program, and any successful coach seems to get hired away.

Yea, I noticed the t-shirts and the very poor behavior. But, it is NOT representative of Temple Alum nor much of the student body. Quite frankly most of the students could care less about "football". THE GAME was yet "another" excuse to be rude, drink, and curse, and that's just the "women". The "others" are just "today's college types", AND there are far to many of them everywhere.

I was there and thought it was 50/50. Don't forget people wearing white were temple fans too as temples colors are red and white.

If you can look at this picture and say that the 2011 game was 70/30 PSU fans... you have an extremely creative imagination.

Even on the part of the PSU sideline that's visible, there are plenty of folks wearing cherry. Also, again,keep in mind that we wear white, too. PSU does not wear cherry / red.

AAC_Temple__Lincoln_Financial_Field__1920x1200.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT