ADVERTISEMENT

Temple Information

afraid.gif

Reactions: psu00 and bmw199
Expectations are sky high over on our message board. I'm going to take the wait and see approach. In theory all of the pieces are there, but you never know.

The defense should be top notch with just about everyone back from last year's tough unit. The receiving corps gets a boost from Pitt transfer Adonis Jennings, and more importantly the return of Robby Anderson who was just declared eligible today. Anderson was Walker's main target in his very successful freshman year.

Reactions: Lionjack99
Expectations are sky high over on our message board. I'm going to take the wait and see approach. In theory all of the pieces are there, but you never know.
The defense should be top notch with just about everyone back from last year's tough unit. The receiving corps gets a boost from Pitt transfer Adonis Jennings, and more importantly the return of Robby Anderson who was just declared eligible today. Anderson was Walker's main target in his very successful freshman year.
Temple may have a very nice team in the American Athletic Conference, but they will not beat Penn State on the road. I expect Penn State to win 38-14.

Reactions: step.eng69
Temple may have a very nice team in the American Athletic Conference, but they will not beat Penn State on the road. I expect Penn State to win 38-14.

Just to clarify, it's PSU that will be on the road for this year's Temple game.

In 2014, we didn't score more than 31 points against anybody not named UMass.

Given that, I'd be pretty surprised if we put up 38 against a team that legitimately had one of America's 30-best defenses in 2014. (by FEI rankings, Temple had the 2nd best defense among the 13 we faced in 2014)

Given that, I'd be pretty surprised if we put up 38 against a team that legitimately had one of America's 30-best defenses in 2014. (by FEI rankings, Temple had the 2nd best defense among the 13 we faced in 2014)
I guess we'll know soon enough.

While that certainly could happen, I would be very surprised. A Temple team with a very weak offense hung in there for a large portion of the game last year before depth wore them down and PSU pounced.

The Temple offense is expected to be much improved and could take some pressure off of the defense this year. Many of our games last year, it seemed like the defense was out there the entire time.

Did they have 2nd strongest schedule?

While that certainly could happen, I would be very surprised. A Temple team with a very weak offense hung in there for a large portion of the game last year before depth wore them down and PSU pounced.
The Temple offense is expected to be much improved and could take some pressure off of the defense this year. Many of our games last year, it seemed like the defense was out there the entire time.
And while Temple has improved, so has Penn State. It's interesting that you mention Penn State's depth wearing Temple down when, due to sanctions, most of us here thought we had little depth at all.

I guess we'll know soon enough.

That is true. I'll be there to see it in 33 days.

Honestly --- this game strikes me as the worst match-up of our last 4 season openers. Of course, we lost 1 of the Ohio, Syracuse and UCF games and we were out-scored in the aggregate.

Did they have 2nd strongest schedule?

FEI ratings (my preferred defensive metric for ranking teams) control for strength of opponent.

Temple ranked as 31st best in NCAA (and 2nd best among our 13 opponents) even after controlling for strength of opponent.

I think even with sanctions, recruiting in the BIG is going to leave Penn State with stronger depth than an up and coming team like Temple. I could be off base.

Whatever the case may be, Temple clearly wore down in the matchup last season.

To be honest, Temple sounds like our mini-me. Tough defense, improving offense, lack of depth but maybe getting better there. They are our mini-me. What was the score last year? Why do we expect it to be much different this year?

Reactions: TempleU22

It is a home game for Temple. Last year's game was tied 6-6 fairly late in the third quarter before a rash of turnovers (including Haley's pick six) allowed us to roll up 20 points in the last 20 minutes or so. Although we ran the ball pretty effectively against them, Hack had perhaps his worst game against the Temple secondary. That defense returns virtually intact (10 of 11 starters, I believe). We should certainly be favored, and I expect a win, but I'll be absolutely thrilled if we can put up 38 points.

To be honest, Temple sounds like our mini-me. Tough defense, improving offense, lack of depth but maybe getting better there. They are our mini-me. What was the score last year? Why do we expect it to be much different this year?

I'd have to agree. It seems like both fan bases are laying their hopes of a great season on the play of their offensive line as well.

Well, yes, technically. We'll see what the reality is. I think the crowd will be predominantly Penn State.

We'll see. I believe PSU was last in Philadelphia to play Temple in 2011. The Temple students really got into the game, and were quite loud. PSU also had a good number of spectators -- probably more overall, but not a huge majority. If I recall correctly, Temple was trying to force non-Temple fans to buy multiple game tickets to get the PSU ticket. They maintained that policy until just a week or two before the game, which may have lead to a lower turnout for PSU fans. They haven't tried to pull that this year, so perhaps more PSU fans will decide to attend.

We'll see. I believe PSU was last in Philadelphia to play Temple in 2011. The Temple students really got into the game, and were quite loud. PSU also had a good number of spectators -- probably more overall, but not a huge majority. If I recall correctly, Temple was trying to force non-Temple fans to buy multiple game tickets to get the PSU ticket. They maintained that policy until just a week or two before the game, which may have lead to a lower turnout for PSU fans. They haven't tried to pull that this year, so perhaps more PSU fans will decide to attend.
Just judging from my limited group of Penn State fans I expect a large PSU crowd. I know at least 12 that are going to this game and nearly all of them have never been to a Penn State game in Philly before. My daughter is driving in with a couple of PSU grads from Jersey City and she hasn't been to any Penn State game in over 10 years.

Reactions: bmw199
Well, yes, technically. We'll see what the reality is. I think the crowd will be predominantly Penn State.:)

Hope you're right about that. Temple has a sizable student body, and it really turned out for the 2011 game. I suspect they will have a very good turnout again for this year's game. With a loud student section in Temple's favor, I would think the crowd will sound like a Temple crowd.

I knew I remembered an ugly game, so I went back to refresh my memory. It was perhaps Hack's worst outing -- ever. QBR 12.9. Temple's defense did appear to wear down, but PSU ran the ball effectively all game. Three TOs kept the offense in check. TU's QB had a rating of 12.9, and its offense had 248 total yards, about 1/3 of which came on the 75 yard TD in the 3Q. TU scored a FG in 3Q on a short field aided by a TO. It was followed by two PSU TDs in about 100 seconds. Then TU got the 75 yard bomb. In addition, both teams missed FGs.

As far as forecasting this game, to me PSU should be better on offense. Ditto for TU. (Neither could do worse than 2014, but you never know.) PSU should be just as stout on D. Ditto for TU. ST may be a tossup (better punting, but placekicking an unknown for PSU). TU fans may show up for the opener, but at worst it'll be 60-40 pro-PSU. 38 points for PSU seems like a lot, but w/o 5 turnovers and perhaps Hack's worst career outing kept 2014 close. I can see 38-14 just as easily as I could 17-16 if a monsoon develops. What I DON'T see is two evenly matched teams. PSU had more depth amid sanctions in 2014, so it's even more in PSU's favor in 2015. If it was my money, I lay the 4-6 points. Even if TU's defense keeps it close, eventually the roof will likely cave in. No disrespect to TU, and I hope they win the AAC.

I've totally had enough of this nonsense, we have the NUMBER 2 defense in the country. We have two first round DTs. How in the world is Temple going to score more than 10 points in a competitive game?

Now alternatively I would love to take odds that our first possession ends in a missed field goal, but we will still win by 17.

True, but more likely that's because Temple fans already bought the entire lower bowl via season tickets and 3-game packages...

I'm not saying Temple will definitely win this game, but many of the comments by PSU fans have exposed how ridiculously uninformed a large portion of this fan base is. Some of the predictions I've seen on this site are absolutely absurd and seem completely lack any shred of objectivity.

True, but more likely that's because Temple fans already bought the entire lower bowl via season tickets and 3-game packages...

...and then put them on StubHub. Plenty of lower bowl tickets to be found there, although the prices are jacked way up.

...and then put them on StubHub. Plenty of lower bowl tickets to be found there, although the prices are jacked way up.
Everyone has a price. Regardless, you can bet the ranch that the lower bowl of the Linc will be mostly filled with cherry... and it will be loud when CH is under center.

Everyone has a price. Regardless, you can bet the ranch that the lower bowl of the Linc will be mostly filled with cherry... and it will be loud when CH is under center.

You live in fantasy land if you think the lower bowl will mostly filled with Temple fans.

Reactions: psu00
Congrats you're a douche. I've got 34 loud and proud Penn State fans that say you're clueless. 10 on the 30 yard line lower bowl and another 24 in the first two rows of the club seats. I'll be there and I'll be here the next morning, will you be to admit how clueless you were? Most Internet tough guys disappear when they've been exposed. Your scary, "stay away", fear the screech act the last month is now tiresome. Please go away and shut up until after we kick your butts and then please come back here and take your medicine the morning after. On second thought maybe your Mom should have taken her medicine "the morning after".

I've totally had enough of this nonsense, we have the NUMBER 2 defense in the country. We have two first round DTs. How in the world is Temple going to score more than 10 points in a competitive game?

Now alternatively I would love to take odds that our first possession ends in a missed field goal, but we will still win by 17.

Bmw199 - please remind - what is your source for PSU #2 defense in the U.S.?

Thanks

Congrats you're a douche. I've got 34 loud and proud Penn State fans that say you're clueless. 10 on the 30 yard line lower bowl and another 24 in the first two rows of the club seats. I'll be there and I'll be here the next morning, will you be to admit how clueless you were? Most Internet tough guys disappear when they've been exposed. Your scary, "stay away", fear the screech act the last month is now tiresome. Please go away and shut up until after we kick your butts and then please come back here and take your medicine the morning after. On second thought maybe your Mom should have taken her medicine "the morning after".

Geez, you think maybe you went just a little overboard?

There are certainly reasons for Temple fans to believe this year's game will be close and is winnable by the Owls. It's been fun reading the back-and-forth; certainly no reason to make personal attacks.

Reactions: psu00
Bmw199 - please remind - what is your source for PSU #2 defense in the U.S.?

Thanks

I'm not Bmw199, but Penn State's Defense ranked 2nd in the NCAA in yards allowed per game.

Part of that is because we faced our fair share of bad offenses --- if you look at more advanced statistics that control for strength of schedule while also looking at things on a more granular drive-by-drive (or even play-by-play!) basis, we ranked somewhat lower (though still pretty good!). 9th in the country in Defense per FEI. 13th in the country in Defense per S&P+.

Reactions: T J
I'm not Bmw199, but Penn State's Defense ranked 2nd in the NCAA in yards allowed per game.

Part of that is because we faced our fair share of bad offenses --- if you look at more advanced statistics that control for strength of schedule while also looking at things on a more granular drive-by-drive (or even play-by-play!) basis, we ranked somewhat lower (though still pretty good!). 9th in the country in Defense per FEI. 13th in the country in Defense per S&P+.

Good stuff michnittlion. Thank you!

Reactions: michnittlion
ADVERTISEMENT