ADVERTISEMENT

T. Carr announcement at 2:00

This is a great "get". I would expect to see the TRUE freshman play a lot this year. Add the class coming in for next year and we will be onto something ;-)
Hard to say what kind of year we will have this year. I "hope" after some "learning" for the frosh in the first part of our schedule they will be a solid foundation. They do not "appear" to be projects.
In short, PLAY them now. I do not think we have ANY "veterans" that can play.

This is a great "get". I would expect to see the TRUE freshman play a lot this year. Add the class coming in for next year and we will be onto something ;-)
Hard to say what kind of year we will have this year. I "hope" after some "learning" for the frosh in the first part of our schedule they will be a solid foundation. They do not "appear" to be projects.
Shep?

Sir, I know you are on the pulse of Philly HS hoops. Have you seen this guy play?

There is a long way to go, but that is amazing.
Not that long. Our commits will sign in November, before the season even begins - and more importantly, regardless of our 2015-16 record. I think we sign Painter, as well. If we land Stevens, it will be by far the best recruiting class in program history, and it will make two consecutive years that PSU has signed the best class in its history.

This is a Derrick Williams-esque day for PSU hoops. Huge.

AnimatedHappyGuy.gif

As a Philly cat myself I am extatic to see the MBB finally break into recruiting Philly and Oak Hill in VA. I am starting to look forward to BB season! Who would of Thunk!

Potentially the two best hoops recruiting classes ever in two consecutive years. I have to ask the obvious ... is PC that good of a recruiter with Philly connections or is he "cutting some corners"? I am a true blue Penn Stater and ecstatic about this announcement, but if another non-basketball school (say Northwestern) all of a sudden was getting 4-star recruits I know what I would be thinking.

Don't hate on me! I hope Pat is simply great at selling the school/program and can have success with honor.

Potentially the two best hoops recruiting classes ever in two consecutive years. I have to ask the obvious ... is PC that good of a recruiter with Philly connections or is he "cutting some corners"? I am a true blue Penn Stater and ecstatic about this announcement, but if another non-basketball school (say Northwestern) all of a sudden was getting 4-star recruits I know what I would be thinking.

Don't hate on me! I hope Pat is simply great at selling the school/program and can have success with honor.
What do you mean by "Cutting some corners"?

I understand your concern, but I don't think Chambers could do this on his own. barbour and others in the athletic department would have to look the other way with respect to Penn State's standards. I don't see that happening. On the positive side, Chambers is charismatic and a player's coach, a lot like Franklin. Of course, Chambers doesn't have the tradition to sell like Franklin does, but like Franklin, Chambers can sell a great school, great campus, etc.

This is fantastic but also soooo cruel to our Big Rival Red Pit. They had Mens BB penciled in as a major sport that they could routinely finish ahead of us in. Now what? The dungeon will be especially lonely without us! Delany's dilemma.

If know anything about Roman Catholic High School they are a truly stand up school in Philly they have a long tradition of producing high quality b-ball players and human biengs. That said I feel there is NO chance of this being anything but hard work to get into the mid-Atlantic recruiting region by the coaching staff.

Reactions: bmw199 and bison13
For the past 2 years I've obnoxiously repeated over and over that the PSU men's hoops team is completely analogous to the Pirates recent rebuild. (i.e., after years of awful moves, finally have the right people with the right strategy in place, but it will take time and patience to pay off. And even though that's what fans have been told before and it failed, that doesn't mean it isn't correct this time).

To continue that analogy, to me this commit is akin to the drafting of Gerrit Cole. While there's some good pieces already in place (or coming in this year), it'll still be a couple years before it really bears fruit.

The upcoming season could still very well be another rough go of it. The naysayers will say this proves we aren't on the cusp and PC sucks and mock those supporting him. They'll be wrong. The current recruiting class (Bostick, Hampton, Carr, and I'm just going to say Stevens and Painter because I'm an optimist) won't even be on campus yet, let alone have a year or 2 to develop. The first time we'll REALLY, finally see all of PC's efforts paying off won't be until '17-'18 or '18-'19 when last year's class are upperclassmen and the current class has had some time to grow and develop.

And once we start winning..... if PC has been able to recruit at this level while we've struggled mightily, imagine what he'd do with a winner...

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
I understand your concern, but I don't think Chambers could do this on his own. barbour and others in the athletic department would have to look the other way with respect to Penn State's standards. I don't see that happening. On the positive side, Chambers is charismatic and a player's coach, a lot like Franklin. Of course, Chambers doesn't have the tradition to sell like Franklin does, but like Franklin, Chambers can sell a great school, great campus, etc.
Trust me, no one wants to watch a good PSU basketball team play more than me. I just want it done the right way and pray that is how PC is getting it done.

A little off track, but for some reason I watched Jimbo Fisher's media day talk and in 15 minutes he NEVER used the word "student", "classes", "academics" or "school" even once. If you didn't know who he was or where he coached you would swear he was talking about an NFL team.

Reactions: pennstatepelly
Chambers has had connections in Philly for a while, he's busted his tail to get these guys, nothing sneaky. That sounds like a Pitt fan remark...
This year will still be tough, but 2017 and on should be tournament years.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I don't think most people understand how HUGE this actually is!!!
Someone asked, a few weeks ago, what it would take for PSU to compete in the BIg10... we now have a legit chance to compete for a conference title in a few years period

Good for Coach Chambers!!

Chambers has had connections in Philly for a while, he's busted his tail to get these guys, nothing sneaky. That sounds like a Pitt fan remark...
This year will still be tough, but 2017 and on should be tournament years.
Bison, if you knew me you would know I am the farthest thing from a Pitt fan! I went to PSU when they beat ... I mean played Pitt every year. However, I am trying to look at this from an outsider's perspective. Suppose Rutgers (no b-ball tradition) all of a sudden had two great recruiting classes pulling in 4-star recruits? Don't know about you, but I know what a lot of people would be saying on this board.

“I believe I can go there and change the whole landscape, with guys like Nazeer Bostick and Josh Reaves and Mike watkins and Joe Hampton,” Carr said. “I feel like we can change the whole school around make history up there and be special.”

These are the type of people I want to be my friends. They walk into the room and one immediately feels the positive energy. Make history, young man. Get it done!

Hell why not this year? I can dream right?
Sure you can dream but...
  1. We lose Newbill who was most of our offense (plus Travis & Thorpe)
  2. Reaves, Watkins, and Zemgulis will be true freshmen
  3. Carr, Bostick, & Hampton won't arrive until next year.
Devin Foster will probably be our point guard. Quick, lots of hustle, but not much offense. We really need a big year from Taylor, especially with Travis gone. Dickerson or Jack will probably be better but by how much? Watkins will probably take time to develop. A winning record could be tough this year but things are setting up nicely for 2-3 years from now.

More likely it's PC getting recruits (esp. PA/Philly recruits) excited about the future of the BB program at PSU.

As for Northwestern - 3 Rivals 4 * recruits for the '14-'16 classes and really should have been 5 (Bryant McIntosh should have been a 4* and for the '16 class, Illinois talent evaluators rate F Ivanauskus higher than 4* C Benson and Ivanauskus is rated a 4* and a Top 60 player by Scout).

And NU admissions won't allow Collins to cut corners.

Looks like the Lions and 'Cats are both on the path to getting the depth to be competitive in the B1G on a regular basis (previously, an injury or 2 to top players were devastating).

Last edited:
Sure you can dream but...
  1. We lose Newbill who was most of our offense (plus Travis & Thorpe)
  2. Reaves, Watkins, and Zemgulis will be true freshmen
  3. Carr, Bostick, & Hampton won't arrive until next year.
Devin Foster will probably be our point guard. Quick, lots of hustle, but not much offense. We really need a big year from Taylor, especially with Travis gone. Dickerson or Jack will probably be better but by how much? Watkins will probably take time to develop. A winning record could be tough this year but things are setting up nicely for 2-3 years from now.
Reality plays no role in my dreams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT