ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Papelbon to Nationals is about complete/Hamels...(OT)

PSUriseANDfire

Jun 3, 2012
Central PA
Jim Bowden: "Phillies and Nationals are now at the finish line jumping through final hoop". Sounds like a decent prospect might even come back. If he didn't have the rep he did he wouldn't have been so hard to trade. Even with his contract he is still damn good and someone that a lot of good team could use.

I also still disagree with cjrugger when it comes to whatever Hamels trade happens(and it's more and more likely). No, the Cubs aren't moving Baez/Soler in the same deal but I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed at all with the final result. It looks like the Cubs are falling out of it.

Whatever they get for Hamels it won't be enough. I think the whole MLB overvalues prospects and Hamels shouldn't net anything less than a Gallo or Seager type prospect. But I know they will get no where near that. Most likely will end up with quantity over quality.

The Nationals don't have that much room for error. Rendon is coming back and Desmond is hitting like we know we can, so I'm optimistic. Zimmerman, Werth, Strasberg also. Giving Storen the eighth inning, I think this is a winner for the Nats. But, boy, I'll be nervous every night until October. Ah well, if it happens, it happens, and I'll be happy. If not, I'll muddle through somehow.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Whatever they get for Hamels it won't be enough. I think the whole MLB overvalues prospects and Hamels shouldn't net anything less than a Gallo or Seager type prospect. But I know they will get no where near that. Most likely will end up with quantity over quality.

If you believe that Nomar Mazara(Law likes him as much as Seager and he looks like a possible superstar) is on the table with the Rangers like everyone seems to, that alone is enough.. You don't hold on to someone out of spite if a guy like that is on the table. Hamels what, makes a 60 win team a 65 win team? Need future parts. And it might not even be the best offer. Lots of teams are still keeping a foot in the door.

The Phillies plan is to be competitors again in a couple years. By then Hamels will only be 33 years old and can still be the ace of a younger pitching staff. If the Phils don't move him now I certainly won't be disappointed. I just hope Papelbon hasn't poisoned him with the "I wanna play for a contender" talk. Everyone wants to play for contender.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The Phillies plan is to be competitors again in a couple years. By then Hamels will only be 33 years old and can still be the ace of a younger pitching staff. If the Phils don't move him now I certainly won't be disappointed. I just hope Papelbon hasn't poisoned him with the "I wanna play for a contender" talk. Everyone wants to play for contender.

The minor league pitching is going to be fun follow. Guys like Biddle with pretty big upside but you never know what the hell you are getting from start to start. I think everyone is realizing that Nola could be very good. The hitting prospects are the surprise in a good way.

You are right with some good FA signings it could be a competitive team in a few years. Nobody expected Halladay or Lee to suddenly fall apart though. Both had runs of durability and pitch counts on Cole's level. Eventually that adds up. If the same happens to Hamels during this rebuild it would be REALLY bad.

Papelbon deal is final. Traded for pitcher Nick Pivetta. He has some good upside apparently but I don't know anything about him.

If you believe that Nomar Mazara(Law likes him as much as Seager and he looks like a possible superstar) is on the table with the Rangers like everyone seems to, that alone is enough.. You don't hold on to someone out of spite if a guy like that is on the table. Hamels what, makes a 60 win team a 65 win team? Need future parts. And it might not even be the best offer. Lots of teams are still keeping a foot in the door.
I read on MLBtraderumors.com that Mazara was not on the table.

There has been a shift in MLB philosophy. Prospects are valued because of years of control, and even the large market teams have swung this way to an extent. Phils will do well if they trade him, but maybe not what you'd hope for. I'd like to see him with the Pirates, but not at the cost of a couple of their top prospects. Add to that, they presumably would have to assume all of his salary.

Pivetta has been pitching with the Nats high A team and doing well, but there are 5 or 6 pitchers in the system that are rated higher. As a Nats fan, if the deal is Pivetta and cash for Papelbon, I'm very happy.

Reactions: LionJim
Pivetta has been pitching with the Nats high A team and doing well, but there are 5 or 6 pitchers in the system that are rated higher. As a Nats fan, if the deal is Pivetta and cash for Papelbon, I'm very happy.

Sounds like the Nationals will take on the entire salary which surprised me. Guaranteed him the closer spot so his option vests. I agree that the trade is good but there is this...

JonHeymanCBS
Nats bringing in papelbon is clubhouse risk. Putting aside pap's persona, demoting superb storen a 3rd time may not end well.

if Phils can unload Papelbon and not have to eat any salary and can anything in return, that is a good deal. Papelbon is a cancer in the locker room and will not help the Phils win any games of signifcance. So getting rid of the attitude and allowing another young pitcher to get some time in the majors is a positive.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
Sounds like the Nationals will take on the entire salary which surprised me. Guaranteed him the closer spot so his option vests. I agree that the trade is good but there is this...

JonHeymanCBS
Nats bringing in papelbon is clubhouse risk. Putting aside pap's persona, demoting superb storen a 3rd time may not end well.
Yes, that's not a trivial thing. Nats have a very good clubhouse, these things are important and very often fragile.

Phillies sending over 4.5M to cover his salary this year. So 11M for 220 games of Papelbon sounds great to me. If Storen and the rest of the clubhouse can't see the benefit to having him then this season was going to be a waste anyway

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT