ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question

nits74

May 14, 2010
Does anyone else find themselves getting apathetic with respect to the outcome of the entire Sandusky mess?
I don't know if it's the passage of time or the lack of new information, but I find myself growing weary of the subject. I've long since lost my zeal for Penn State in general, but still had a high level of interest in the search for the truth. I know this is what "they" were hoping for, but my interest is definitely beginning to wane. Just wondered if there are others who are experiencing similar feelings.

Reactions: fairgambit
Does anyone else find themselves getting apathetic with respect to the outcome of the entire Sandusky mess?
I don't know if it's the passage of time or the lack of new information, but I find myself growing weary of the subject. I've long since lost my zeal for Penn State in general, but still had a high level of interest in the search for the truth. I know this is what "they" were hoping for, but my interest is definitely beginning to wane. Just wondered if there are others who are experiencing similar feelings.

I think your waning because there's been nothing new for 3-4 years with everything being discussed to death, and there's no sign of this ever progressing to an actual trial. Trust me- the minute this hits trial and testimony is released you'll be as fired up as ever. ;)

I've stated numerous times I frankly don't care and that rubs some people the wrong way. Nothing really changed with the leadership and won't, that is the biggest thing imho. At this point the sanctions are over, which I cared about, and I could care less about sandusky, kane, corbett, barron, the BOT and the lawsuits going on. I've stopped reading the vast majority of posts related to this issue.

LOL. No.

I do notice, though, that it is the people who don't want to see this go the way I (and many others) think it is going to go who are the ones most often claiming to be "growing weary." LOL.

I am hoping psu00 is correct at times I feel tired of hoping and waiting for more information. It's tough keeping up the fight everyday but then I think of people like CR666 with his condescending posts and how they want us to move along and keep the past buried to save their own backsides and that is enough to keep me in the battle for as long as it takes.... Screw everyone else and what they all think, I want the truth and wherever that may lead to being guilty to come out and burn it all to the ground if needed. For all the PSU family to finally know the truth and then allow real healing to begin. Screw the ESPNs and sPitts of the world, we will never change their narrative regardless of the facts....

I think the Move On crowd definitely still wants this all to go away, but they are holding their breaths waiting for the other shoe to drop. Something's out there, but it's debatable as to whether it will ever get revealed. Nevertheless, the architects of this will have to live forever with the idea that the truth could get revealed at any time during the rest of their lives. Just ask the 94 yr old SS guard from the concentration camps who was recently found guilty of war crimes. Even 60 years after the fact, the truth still came calling.

LOL. No.

I do notice, though, that it is the people who don't want to see this go the way I (and many others) think it is going to go who are the ones most often claiming to be "growing weary." LOL.
Well, if you've followed any of my prior posts you'd know I'm certainly not one of those. I think psu00 had the best explanation. In any event, I think this is the type of reaction that occurs when people sit on information.

I wish I could disagree, but I can't. I'm worn out by it all. Certainly I still want to know the truth, but I fear we will never get all of it and even if we do, at the rate these trials are proceeding, it may be years from now. You mentioned you had lost your zeal for Penn State and I am no longer the devoted son I once was. My biggest problem is the scoundrels that run this University. They're like roaches. You get rid of a couple, but those remaining still make your life miserable and add to their numbers. I've said before, while I am hanging on, I could wake up any day and decide to put the entire University in my real view mirror. No one can take away my memories of happier times in school, and through my four decades of season football tickets, but right now it's an effort for me to care at all.
sad-and-sorry-smiley-emoticon.gif

I wish I could disagree, but I can't. I'm worn out by it all. Certainly I still want to know the truth, but I fear we will never get all of it and even if we do, at the rate these trials are proceeding, it may be years from now. You mentioned you had lost your zeal for Penn State and I am no longer the devoted son I once was. My biggest problem is the scoundrels that run this University. They're like roaches. You get rid of a couple, but those remaining still make your life miserable and add to their numbers. I've said before, while I am hanging on, I could wake up any day and decide to put the entire University in my real view mirror. No one can take away my memories of happier times in school, and through my four decades of season football tickets, but right now it's an effort for me to care at all.
Well put. Might be my age, but as much as I like what I see from Franklin and his efforts, I can't get excited about football these days. Never ever thought I'd see the day.

I think the Move On crowd definitely still wants this all to go away, but they are holding their breaths waiting for the other shoe to drop. Something's out there, but it's debatable as to whether it will ever get revealed. Nevertheless, the architects of this will have to live forever with the idea that the truth could get revealed at any time during the rest of their lives. Just ask the 94 yr old SS guard from the concentration camps who was recently found guilty of war crimes. Even 60 years after the fact, the truth still came calling.

it took over 20 years for the good people of Hillsborough to learn the truth. they never gave up. neither should we.

I am certainly not a part of the Move On crowd. But, like the OP, I'm weary of the issues. Everything is stalled and there is no new information. I don't follow every twist and speculation. If the smoking gun is ever found, I will be all over this again, but I don't think there is a smoking gun. I have wanted the truth since Day 1. I have little hope, however, that we'll see it, or that we'll recognize it as the truth, given all the subterfuge.

Reactions: fairgambit
it took over 20 years for the good people of Hillsborough to learn the truth. they never gave up. neither should we.
When threads like this appear, and I voice my frustrations with the quest for the truth, and those in power, I can always rely on other like minded souls to provide words of encouragement. That's one of the primary reasons I hang around this Board as much as I do (too much my wife says). Still, even with the positive reinforcement, it is becoming more and more difficult to care.

Reactions: simons96

Who's Sandusky? Never heard of him.

Apathetic? No
Frustrated? Yes.....some days worse than others

What helps - at least for me - is that I have always known that most folks, even those who expressed outrage, were always really just concerned about the "football stuff".....and those folks will fall by the wayside after receiving their pacifier from the "leadership".

That was always going to happen, and this situation we face is not unique in that regard.
It takes a LOT to make people truly make sacrifices and take action to try to right an injustice......it is SOOOO much easier to accept pacification and "move on". And that, of course, was the Scoundrels objective from Day 1.

For those folks who truly care about the University. Who truly care about what is right. There will never be apathy.
Thankfully, there are those who are truly concerned about righteousness......and a lot of them have made tremendous sacrifices in this situation (most of us know many of the names......Bagwell, Blehar, etc etc etc)

Frustration......Anger.....Disillusionment.....Yes, absolutely.

But, apathy......no.

I am hoping psu00 is correct at times I feel tired of hoping and waiting for more information. It's tough keeping up the fight everyday but then I think of people like CR666 with his condescending posts Condescending? Moi? I'd be interested to hear how so? and how they want us to move along and keep the past buried to save their own backsides Specifically, who is "they" and save their own backsides from what? and that is enough to keep me in the battle for as long as it takes.... Screw everyone else and what they all think, I want the truth and wherever that may lead to being guilty to come out and burn it all to the ground if needed. For all the PSU family to finally know the truth and then allow real healing to begin. The truth in this matter will never be absolute. it's whatever someone wants it to be. Just as the truth today is shaped and sculpted by each person's personal beliefs, biases and perceptions, so it will be in the future to fit each individual's notion of what they think it should be. Screw the ESPNs and sPitts of the world, we will never change their narrative regardless of the facts....

When threads like this appear, and I voice my frustrations with the quest for the truth, and those in power, I can always rely on other like minded souls to provide words of encouragement. That's one of the primary reasons I hang around this Board as much as I do (too much my wife says). Still, even with the positive reinforcement, it is becoming more and more difficult to care.

True............but that's because everything is out of the control of anyone with common sense. It's frustrating when (for example) alumni are voted on to the BOT to address issues and the old guard ignores them and prevents any 'civil' discussion (much less action).

That said, I absolutely guarantee that day 1 of the CSS trial(s) (if it ever comes before the turn of the century) this board will explode discussing the testimony, evidence, cross examination, etc. It's an absolute lock and anyone who thinks they can just wait out Penn State alumni on this issue is just delusional.

I, too, have lost some zeal for Penn State. But, I am waiting for the truth to come out, no matter how long it takes. This whole thing is too important to just let it slide. I want the Paterno lawyers to get people on the stand.

No. My passion for this University has not wavered and as such my passion for truth has not wavered. I will admit it does seem tedious at times but I am not worn out by it at all

The wheels of justice move slowly. And, this is part of the BoT's strategy.

It always comes back to "who is Penn State?" To me, that is not the BOT (the majority of which I loathe). Its not the alumni, the students, the football team. To me, its the culture.

Despite the BOT, the NCAA and the horrible misdeeds of Sandusky and the press, the culture of Penn State survives and thrives. Franklin, so far, is running a fantastic program (need to win more games but that appears to be taking care of itself). Kids are proud to be there. Sports teams are winning. Tens of thousands of kids are getting a good education. And the Grand Experiment continues.

To those who want justice; patience and perseverance. (as was stated so well above by Simons96). Beyond that, despite the horrible guidance during the JS years, PSU thrives. (with or without the names on the back of the jerseys). Enjoy the ride while you can.

I find myself not dwelling on it much these days because not much is happening. That said, I do not accept what happened and where we are currently. Progress has been made, but we have a long way to go. I will not be satisfied until we learn the entire truth, and I am confident that will happen. It will take awhile, but it will happen.

Reactions: simons96
Things I enjoy about PSU... Taking my daughter to football games, wrestling meets, volley ball games, her going to volleyball camp, Daisy Duke shorts at the tailgates, Whiskers before a wrestling meet, visiting my friends in Bellefonte, going to my Uncle's and his friend tailgate, Blue white game, going to a soccer match and the team hung around after the game and stressed academics to my daughter, squirrels, ice cream, Hockey Valley

Ive grown weary of the Sandusky mess,but I have never lost my zeal for Penn State and I never will!!!

The fight and spirit of the new Alumni Council reps and the elected Board Trustees that are determined to gain back the ground we all lost give me the reason to not give up. They are our voice in the trenches. They need our continued support.

The fight and spirit of the new Alumni Council reps and the elected Board Trustees that are determined to gain back the ground we all lost give me the reason to not give up. They are our voice in the trenches. They need our continued support.
The early indicators are good.

Much appreciation and kudos to the new PSU AA Council members.

The March for Truth will continue as long as neccessary....

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man;
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It might be near when it seems afar;