ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Culture

Everybody would have gone straight to Jerry's house and beat the shit out of him with their bare hands. I mean, obviously. Then they would have dragged him to the police station where the police would have immediately locked him up and threw away the key, no questions asked.

I can't believe it didn't literally happen like this, because if it were any other school it would have happened like that. Instead, Joe Paterno orchestrated one of the biggest conspiracies in the history of the sports world, if not the country for an entire decade, all in the name of football.

Instead, the new procedures are to inform the athletic director of the school when somebody on your staff comes to you with information regarding a former employee and abuse of children. If only this procedure were in place in 2001 we wouldn't be in the situation we are in today. What in the world took them so long?
In addition to the actions described in your first paragraph, AD's and HC's at other Universities would have had Jerry running up and down the bleachers till he nearly died before turning him over to the mob and then terminate his pension and any other features of his retirement package.

Reactions: simons96
Oh, well if you had a friend who said this at a wedding then it's an open and shut case. Do you have any friends who have a cousin who knew a guy who used to live with somebody who cut Joe's grass that can weigh in on it as well?

You seriously came here to give us the old "I know a guy" schtick? Give me a break.

That's the best you can do? Lol. No, I used them as an example of how not all that are attached to PSU are blind idiots that think that they win with integrity and do everything clean. If a player were to be arrested at PSU, it would be just another piece to their storied history. The culture has been was worse at PSU for a long time.. Prove me that I'm wrong, I'll wait.

So is an opinion piece and Triponey garbage all you have? The opinion piece refers to shower rape, something even the most ignorant troll now knows didn't happen. There is no need to read any further. I suggest you google "The Vicky Triponey Timeline of terror" if you wish to educate yourself. Not only will you find the article linked below, but you will also find articles bashing the WSJ article you just linked.

http://safeguardoldstate.org/the-vicky-triponey-timeline-of-terror/

Why does captain of the football team keep making fun of the fat/ugly girl? Why keep talking about her? Unless you're honestly in love with her, it doesn't make any sense to keep bringing her up.

Now let me explain, Rutgers is the fat/ugly girl that is occasionally made fun of. It is extremely delusional of you to think that just because you are the butt of the occasional joke, that you matter.

So I should something called "safeguard old state" over the Wall Street Journal. Gotcha. How about you show me a Wikipedia article instead?

Hey, someone said glass houses. I have a cousin who is a proud PSU alum. She actually had her wedding on a Saturday on Labor Day weekend and everyone was watching the game at the reception. And that was the year the sanctions were handed down. But she and her husband told me they were upset by them but not angry because they knew JoePa had gotten away with a lot. So if RU has a culture problem, that means it was an epidemic at PSU. Look around the nation, this isn't the first time a college athlete got arrested.

And RU is only still in the beginning stages of heavily investing in their sports. Previous administrations were trying to focus more on academics to get into the Ivy League. But it would have had to give up its status as a land grant state school, which they declined. So they academics always there. It was only until Schiano that they decided to invest in football alone. So I'd say the jury is still out on them for a few more years.

Let me amplify what Art pointed out above. From Wikipedia:
Cornell University (designated on April 27, 1865)[3] (Cornell is a private university with four statutory colleges, supported by the State of New York, that fulfill its land-grant mission.)

Hey, someone said glass houses. I have a cousin who is a proud PSU alum. She actually had her wedding on a Saturday on Labor Day weekend and everyone was watching the game at the reception. And that was the year the sanctions were handed down. But she and her husband told me they were upset by them but not angry because they knew JoePa had gotten away with a lot. So if RU has a culture problem, that means it was an epidemic at PSU. Look around the nation, this isn't the first time a college athlete got arrested.

And RU is only still in the beginning stages of heavily investing in their sports. Previous administrations were trying to focus more on academics to get into the Ivy League. But it would have had to give up its status as a land grant state school, which they declined. So they academics always there. It was only until Schiano that they decided to invest in football alone. So I'd say the jury is still out on them for a few more years.

Yup being a land grant institution is the only thing keeping RU from getting in the Ivy League. Well that and that fact that they are not among the top 100 universities in the country.

FYI, your cousin sounds like a twit.

[QUOTE="JerseyShoreKnight, post: 178158, member:

"And RU is only still in the beginning stages of heavily investing in their sports."

Talk about delusional? It was Rutgers Faculty Senate that recently passed a bill forbidding school funding of athletic facilities! Coach Flood just received a raise and contract extension that was totally funded by a private donor. He then tried to hire said donor to the position of Recruiting Director. Thankfully someone had the sense to convince the donor to withdraw his name from consideration, since working for the guy whose salary you pay might just appear inappropriate. To make matters worse, the man had a resume void of any experience in recruiting. B1G Bluster is the reality but not heavy investing.

Way to take one piece of my post and try to twist it. Rutgers has only been "major" conference since 1992. That was the Big East. But until Greg Schiano was coach, they did not care to fund athletics. Now compare that to the other B1G schools. A pretty short amount of time, right? Now, they're behind the curve because of a huge step up in conference strength so it's coming back to bite them. So they are going to need more time before a decision can be made on them because of the fact that previous administrations set them back by ignoring athletics almost completely.

That bill the was passed was to restrict the ability of Rutgers to take out loans for athletic purposes because state funded assistance is already so high (another consequence of neglecting the athletic program them trying to hang with the heavyweights). But there is a state senator in NJ, I believe his name is Lesniak, who is attempting to reverse the Faculty Senate bill with his own state sponsored bill. And is that the first time anybody has ever been hired because of something they've done? Parents and ex-coaches have never been hired because a school just landed their kid, right? That would never happen lol.

JerseyShoreKnight is doing his best to prove how smart Mark Twain was.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
And from what I have seen of many Rutgers trolls here, another Twain quote comes to mind..."Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Let me amplify what Art pointed out above. From Wikipedia:
Cornell University (designated on April 27, 1865)[3] (Cornell is a private university with four statutory colleges, supported by the State of New York, that fulfill its land-grant mission.)

No, Rutgers is a public, state-funded research university. Cornell is a private, statutory university. While they may receive some state funding, they operate independently from the state. That is not the case at RU.

Rutgers is a cesspool. Can you imagine any of these criminals playing for Penn State when Joe was alive? I can't!

That's the best you can do? Lol. No, I used them as an example of how not all that are attached to PSU are blind idiots that think that they win with integrity and do everything clean. If a player were to be arrested at PSU, it would be just another piece to their storied history. The culture has been was worse at PSU for a long time.. Prove me that I'm wrong, I'll wait.

Prove you wrong? I don't have to. You came here with your silly anecdote that some guy at a wedding you attended told you that Joe Paterno had gotten away with a lot. Again, did you interview Joe's barber, too? So no, that's not the best I can do but it's all I have to do. Your "guy at a wedding" source is laughable. I mean, I've seen people come here claiming Joe was a despicable human being, but never was the source of this some guy at a wedding who is an authority because it was on Labor Day and they had the PSU game on at the reception. You couldn't use the Freeh Report? Are we at the point where some guy who got married on Labor Day is a better source of the truth than the Freeh Report?

You know what? I take what I said back. I have to give you credit for using your guy at a wedding as proof because he's just as likely as much of an expert on this as Louis Freeh.

Rutgers is a cesspool. Can you imagine any of these criminals playing for Penn State when Joe was alive? I can't!

Now, now. I'm fairly certain that Penn State had a string of bad apples that were dealt with in the mid-2000's. This happens everywhere. Thankfully, both Penn State and Rutgers have a good track record of taking out the trash.

So I should something called "safeguard old state" over the Wall Street Journal. Gotcha. How about you show me a Wikipedia article instead?

You should re-read you post and try again with correct grammar. Then you should use google to read the articles destroying you WSJ article for being tabloid trash. (Of course I suggested that in my last post, and you seemed to have missed it) Then you should google "Vicky Triponey" just to see what the first article that comes up is...

https://www.google.com/#q=vicky+triponey

Then you should notice that your trash from WSJ barely makes the first page. There is a CNN article that basically sites the Freeh report as proof that Triponey was right... No one is dumb enough these days to put any stock in the Freeh report. So what else do you have? You should probably just give up.

Reactions: Hotshoe

Joe had his share of players who ended up on the wrong side of the law as well. Every school recruits players who end up in trouble. It's inevitable. It's not an indictment of the program or coach, though. Joe didn't have a crystal ball and it doesn't mean coaches should have never given those players who end up in trouble a scholarship, either. It's a failure of those players, not the school, program, or coach when they wind up in trouble. PSU just had a kid who ended up in trouble and is no longer with the team as of last week.

Do you remember Lavon Chisley?

Being that this kid was a 2* recruit and the 380th ranked player out of Florida, RU may be thin at corner since that's starter material there.

Reactions: Alphabets
No, Rutgers is a public, state-funded research university. Cornell is a private, statutory university. While they may receive some state funding, they operate independently from the state. That is not the case at RU.
Cornell is a land grant university, as is Rutgers.

It's not worth it jerseyshore. They don't get it and never will. With the benefit of hindsight, you wouldn't try to convince these guys of anything. I used to try in a good natured way but once I read "chaste pedophile" in regards to Sandusky, they lost me. You see jerseyshore, they are perfect and have an excuse for anything that portrays psu in a bad light.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3504915

http://arrestnation.com/2015/05/penn-state-university-cornerback-daquan-davis-arrested/

http://www.smokingmusket.com/2014/1...down-penn-state-fans-attack-west-virginia-fan

[QUOTE="JerseyShoreKnight, post: 178158, member:

"And RU is only still in the beginning stages of heavily investing in their sports."

Talk about delusional? It was Rutgers Faculty Senate that recently passed a bill forbidding school funding of athletic facilities! Coach Flood just received a raise and contract extension that was totally funded by a private donor. He then tried to hire said donor to the position of Recruiting Director. Thankfully someone had the sense to convince the donor to withdraw his name from consideration, since working for the guy whose salary you pay might just appear inappropriate. To make matters worse, the man had a resume void of any experience in recruiting. B1G Bluster is the reality but not heavy investing.

NJ State Senator Ray Lesniak is sponsoring a bill that will provide $25M for RU to use to upgrade its athletic facilities. So yes RU is beginning the process of investing more heavily in athletics. Further, there is nothing wrong with private donors earmarking contributions for specific purposes. Sanderson and Franklin's salaries are subsidized by big PSU contributors. Finally, Jeff Towers role was to be strictly administrative and had nothing to do with evaluating prospects.

NJ State Senator Ray Lesniak is sponsoring a bill that will provide $25M for RU to use to upgrade its athletic facilities. So yes RU is beginning the process of investing more heavily in athletics. Further, there is nothing wrong with private donors earmarking contributions for specific purposes. Sanderson and Franklin's salaries are subsidized by big PSU contributors. Finally, Jeff Towers role was to be strictly administrative and had nothing to do with evaluating prospects.

Sponsoring is one thing getting approval another. He did include an equal $25 million for two other State subsidized colleges as well, which of course was the only way it would have any chance to get approved. Private donors is what Rutgers needs more of. Basically what the faculty senate told them.

It's not worth it jerseyshore. They don't get it and never will. With the benefit of hindsight, you wouldn't try to convince these guys of anything. I used to try in a good natured way but once I read "chaste pedophile" in regards to Sandusky, they lost me. You see jerseyshore, they are perfect and have an excuse for anything that portrays psu in a bad light.

http://arrestnation.com/2015/05/penn-state-university-cornerback-daquan-davis-arrested/

http://www.smokingmusket.com/2014/1...down-penn-state-fans-attack-west-virginia-fan

What exactly does Rutgers have to convince us of? How to throw basketballs at players than call them fags? If u call them fags long enough they will kill themselves? That you should glorify wife beaters? How to rob people at gunpoint?

Maybe once Rutgers contributes SOMETHING, ANYTHING to the big10 conference u will earn some respect, but u are bottom of the barrel my friend, athletically speaking u are not only beneath us, but also every other BIG 10 school including Purdue. Go back to ur cesspool in jersey crying about not being able to land a decent recruit in Jersey for 3 years

What would you have done in Joe's situation

I have the same thought for this question as I do for those that ask "what would you have done if in McQueary's shoes?" My opinion is that if your answer is anything other than "I don't know", "I'm not entirely sure," or something along those lines, you likely aren't being completely honest with yourself. The situation both of those men were put in was extremely difficult to manage 100% correctly.

I'd like to think that in Paterno's shoes I'd have acted in a similar fashion. I'd want to look up the PSU policy on such incidents, consult the PSU legal and/or HR contacts, and follow the direction and guidance those resources provided. However in the heat of the moment would I have known to do that? I don't know.

In McQueary's shoes I honestly have no idea how I would have reacted.

Last edited:

No one here said we/PSU are/is perfect. In fact we are far from perfect. I think the reason why this thread ever got started was because of the bizarre behavior of Rutgers concerning Penn State. Rutgers has an inferiority complex and has for some time. Out side of Maryland, Pitt, And Rutgers most schools realized early on that the NCAA went to far in trying to lay blame to an entire university because of the actions of ONE man. Even the NCAA came to their senses and ended their unjust sanctions because they knew they were going to lose majorly in the courts. You can say what you wish about Paterno but the fact remains that Joe did what 99% of people would have done in that situation. Hence that's why the ncaa restored his/penn state's wins. Seems to me the only people like rutgers fans that are truly upset about what happened or what they let their minds believe that happened, are the same people who penn state has consistently out recruited, outplayed and outclased for the last half century.

No one here said we/PSU are/is perfect. In fact we are far from perfect. I think the reason why this thread ever got started was because of the bizarre behavior of Rutgers concerning Penn State. Rutgers has an inferiority complex and has for some time. Out side of Maryland, Pitt, And Rutgers most schools realized early on that the NCAA went to far in trying to lay blame to an entire university because of the actions of ONE man. Even the NCAA came to their senses and ended their unjust sanctions because they knew they were going to lose majorly in the courts. You can say what you wish about Paterno but the fact remains that Joe did what 99% of people would have done in that situation. Hence that's why the ncaa restored his/penn state's wins. Seems to me the only people like rutgers fans that are truly upset about what happened or what they let their minds believe that happened, are the same people who penn state has consistently out recruited, outplayed and outclased for the last half century.

ru and pitt athletic supporters are foaming at the mouth over Joe's/Penn State's wins being restored. They know that ru and pitt can't rise to Penn State's level, so they are desperate to see Penn State brought down to theirs. It sucks for them that it won't happen.

Sponsoring is one thing getting approval another. He did include an equal $25 million for two other State subsidized colleges as well, which of course was the only way it would have any chance to get approved. Private donors is what Rutgers needs more of. Basically what the faculty senate told them.

The point is RU will begin investing more heavily in athletics as funding dictates. Lesniak all but ordered Barchi to make sure it happens and Julie Hermann needs to cultivate relationships and bring home the bacon over the next 5 years because RU won't be seeing any big pay days from the conference any time soon.

ru and pitt athletic supporters are foaming at the mouth over Joe's/Penn State's wins being restored. They know that ru and pitt can't rise to Penn State's level, so they are desperate to see Penn State brought down to theirs. It sucks for them that it won't happen.

Please let me know when Penn State reaches these stellar heights. Most wins by a coach to coach for 200 yrs. Sorry, I'm not impressed. Outright Conference Championships? Sorry not impressed. Fans that love to talk as if their team was Alabama.....WINNER!

Please let me know when Penn State reaches these stellar heights. Most wins by a coach to coach for 200 yrs. Sorry, I'm not impressed. Outright Conference Championships? Sorry not impressed. Fans that love to talk as if their team was Alabama.....WINNER!

And why don't you go back to Heinz Field and sit with the twenty or so Pitt fans that show up to a Pitt Football game.... And last time I checked...Paterno was 23-7-1 against Pitt so suck it pitter.

Reactions: RobBliz

PSU was outright B10 Champs a 3 times in the last 20 seasons, against much tougher competition than Pitt faces. PSU has also had some really good seasons they were not B10 champs in that time frame. Because of some questionable calls, Pitt ended up in a 4 way tie for the big east ONCE in that time frame. No PSU fan thinks that they are Alabama, we are rational. It's the Pitt/RU fans that think they are Penn State's level that are delusional.

I'm not comparing you to Pitt. I'm comparing the real PSU vs the imaginary one in your heads. There is a large difference between the two. I get it though...it's the refs fault?...lol.

Reactions: Rutgers85
I'm not comparing you to Pitt. I'm comparing the real PSU vs the imaginary one in your heads. There is a large difference between the two. I get it though...it's the refs fault?...lol.

You obviously can't read. No PSU fan thinks we are Alabama, but we are in a much better position than Pitt. I'm simply comparing the real Pitt vs. the imaginary one in your head. I get it though... I think your football team just won another 2 national championships. No one had claimed 1756, so Pitt just did!

You obviously can't read. No PSU fan thinks we are Alabama, but we are in a much better position than Pitt. I'm simply comparing the real Pitt vs. the imaginary one in your head. I get it though... I think your football team just won another 2 national championships. No one had claimed 1756, so Pitt just did!

It's always about potential? Let's see it on the field!

It's always about potential? Let's see it on the field!

Funny coming from a Pitt fan. It's always next season that will be great, it's always the next coach that will turn the program around.

We've seen it on the field for 25 years. Pitt has been terrible against terrible competition, and actually has a losing record. Last season, Pitt got steamrolled by AKRON and had a losing season. Penn State has competed for national titles, won conference titles from a conference that still exists, had 10 win regular seasons... all against tougher competition. Even when slapped with unjust sanctions, PSU didn't have a losing season. Quite frankly, the outcome of one game next season is meaningless when compared to what I typed above. That will ease you pain when Pitt loses.

Win your conference and impress me this year...then all your talk won't make me want to vomit. I actually like PSU and cheer for them. However, you guys are some of the craziest fans. Your team is slightly better than Pitt's and has been for sometime. Pitt fans know their reality. You guys are delusional about yours.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT