ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Mill: Lee Family Buying Iowa City Real Estate

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
Saw it over on Hawkreport. Is Brands taking a page out of the John Smith recruiting manual?

I'm probably biased but as a wrestling coach in PA, PSU is almost every kid's dream school. There are sometimes outside circumstances that sway a kid another direction like Chance. But for the most part if PSU wants you and you're from PA, then you are going to Penn State. They have everything a wrestler needs to get to the next level (Olympic Training Center, National Championship aspirations evey year, great training partners, upgraded facilities, and chance for your family to see you at every home meet. Most of these kids (Pletcher, Lee, etc...) have been wearing a Team PA Gold singlet since they were in 4th Grade. The chance to continue to represent your state at the college level is a dream.

I don't buy this rumor and will be shocked if Spencer goes anywhere other than PSU. Ignore the rumors and let's sit back and enjoy his final two years in high school and be advocates and supporters of him to PSU.

I don't disagree with any of what you said, but Iowa has better training partners and a coach in Terry Brands who has coached Ramos onto two world teams right after college. Terry also coached the last 57kg American Olympic gold medal winner. The best decision isn't always the easiest one, but if you're a lightweight and looking for success in college and after Iowa is the best choice. That being said if Spencer Lee decides togo to Iowa it should not be a surprise just because he's from PA.
All good points, but this line of thinking works against Iowa vis-a-vis Hall of course.

I have no clue what will happen, but it is quite clear Lee is seriously kicking the tires in Iowa City - anyone not seeing that is blind.

I still think we are loaded going forward, but a guy like Lee pays dividends besides NCs in the form of post-grad recruiting for one's RTC, etc (assuming he continues the success he's been having).

The issue really heats up if Iowa lands Suriano and we land Micic (as some of the rumors are suggesting). Micic, Nico, and Jimmy are a real nice set of partners to scrap with going forward. Micic is on the Junior World Team and Nico will only get better at Free as he gets more experience - same with Jimmy who's done a lot less Free.

Reactions: edquinn06
All good points, but this line of thinking works against Iowa vis-a-vis Hall of course.

I have no clue what will happen, but it is quite clear Lee is seriously kicking the tires in Iowa City - anyone not seeing that is blind.

I still think we are loaded going forward, but a guy like Lee pays dividends besides NCs in the form of post-grad recruiting for one's RTC, etc (assuming he continues the success he's been having).

The issue really heats up if Iowa lands Suriano and we land Micic (as some of the rumors are suggesting). Micic, Nico, and Jimmy are a real nice set of partners to scrap with going forward. Micic is on the Junior World Team and Nico will only get better at Free as he gets more experience - same with Jimmy who's done a lot less Free.
You are correct all those guys are great wrestlers. You did forget to put Conaway in the mix. Micic is a great wrestler and Gilman was in the same position(JWT) last year and took Bronze. Hopefully Micic can get USA a gold this year. I wouldn't put Micic in the PSU stable just yet. For that reason Iowa partners in Ramos, Dennis, McDonough, Clark, Gilman, and Laux our a little more appealing right now.

Not sure I buy that Iowa has better training partners. NLWC has a really good stable. Offhand, Franklin Gomez is a world silver medalist.

In general, how much time do the club guys actually spend with the college guys?

Not sure I buy that Iowa has better training partners. NLWC has a really good stable. Offhand, Franklin Gomez is a world silver medalist.
Gomez is more of a training partner for 141/149 guys. I was just listing guys that were more likely training partners for a 125 pounder. I'm sure they all mix around. For fun I'll see ur Gomez and raise you a Metcalf. Believe he has beat Gomez twice in the past year.

It was a matter of fact statement with no hint of humor and Az also isn't known to play games like that. We already have John Smith luring entire families into Stillwater, why wouldn't someone think he was serious?

As the saying goes, fool me once shame on you.....Oh, and I'm sure the Lee family is just thrilled about jokes like this.

Last edited:
It was a matter of fact statement with no hint of humor and Az also isn't known to play games like that. We already have John Smith luring entire families into Stillwater, why wouldn't someone think he was serious?

As the saying goes, fool me once shame on you.....Oh, and I'm sure the Lee family is just thrilled about jokes like this.
Lighten up Francis...

Sorry you bit hard on that FT, forgot the obligatory emoticon...figured you guys would get the real estate (Cael) reference.

Take it as a compliment Az, I consider you one of the more credible/reasonable posters over there. Well at least I used to :p

Reactions: Azchief32
ADVERTISEMENT