ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Dick Groat, age 92

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
he played MLB and in the NBA.

He was the 1952 college basketball player of the year. His #10 jersey hangs at Cameron Hall. And is a member of the national college Basketball HoF.

He was national league MVP in 1960 and World Series Champion for the Pittsburgh Pirates where he played shortstop. He was part of one of the best infields ever with Bill Mazaroski. He was born in Wilkinsburg PA

He was the 1952 college basketball player of the year. His #10 jersey hangs at Cameron Hall. And is a member of the national college Basketball HoF.

He was national league MVP in 1960 and World Series Champion for the Pittsburgh Pirates where he played shortstop. He was part of one of the best infields ever with Bill Mazaroski. He was born in Wilkinsburg PA

Cameron Indoor?

Reactions: Obliviax

I heard on the MLB Radio Network this morning that he along with Pete Rose and Dave Parker are the three players who have statistics and honors worthy of HOF Enshrinement who already have not been enshrined. Obviously, Rose would've been enshrined if not for gambling, and Parker definitely should be in if Harold Baines is in; he was the second best player whom I ever saw play for the Pirates after Bonds and was the dominant NL player from the mid to late 70s.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I heard on the MLB Radio Network this morning that he along with Pete Rose and Dave Parker are the three players who have statistics and honors worthy of HOF Enshrinement who already have not been enshrined. Obviously, Rose would've been enshrined if not for gambling, and Parker definitely should be in if Harold Baines is in; he was the second best player whom I ever saw play for the Pirates after Bonds and was the dominant NL player from the mid to late 70s.
good comments. But you'd put Groat and Bonds over Clemente and Stargell? IMHO Clemente was the best pure baseball player, meaning five-tool guy, I've ever seen. I put Ken Griffy Jr. in there as well (but he was never a pirate).

the Tribe had some very good ones who don't get the credit. Omar Viquel was as good of a shortstop as I've seen play. Kenny Lofton, Jim Thome, Alber Bell, and Manny Ramirez are up there as well.

good comments. But you'd put Groat and Bonds over Clemente and Stargell? IMHO Clemente was the best pure baseball player, meaning five-tool guy, I've ever seen. I put Ken Griffy Jr. in there as well (but he was never a pirate).

the Tribe had some very good ones who don't get the credit. Omar Viquel was as good of a shortstop as I've seen play. Kenny Lofton, Jim Thome, Alber Bell, and Manny Ramirez are up there as well.
No, I meant Dave Parker is the second best Pirate I ever saw after Bonds, and if he had stayed off of the stuff he definitely would've been a sure-fire HOFer. I was born in 1967, and was told that I saw Roberto play, but I don't remember seeing him. I did see Willie play in person many times, but believe that Parker was a better overall player, but that's a fine line because Stargell brought more to the team than just his on-field abilities.

From the 1960s through most of the 1970s, the Pirates really had a great organization and were ahead of the times in signing black and Latin American players. In fact, they had so much talent that they could afford to trade the likes of Dave Cash, Willie Randolph, Tony Armas, Mitchell Paige, etc.

Reactions: Obliviax
Dick Broat is a very under appreciated athlete. He was a star basketball player at Duke University, was twice named the Southern Conference athelete of the year, the first college player in history to lead the nation in both points/game and assists. First basketball ball player at Duke to have his number retired. First player to ever make both college baseball HoF and college basketball HoF.

Was drafted by both NBA and baseball, after college joined the Pirates in June with no time in the minor leagues and hit .284. Then played a four months in the NBA with the Fort Wayne Pistons. was second on the team in scoring but went to the military for two years after only four months. After that he played for the hometown Pirates as baseball paid better then basketball then. Wanted to play both but Pirate management threatened to refuse his signing bonus if he did.

Eight times an all star, won two World Series. While in the military at Fort Belvor he played both sports for his base which one both military titles, the first base to ever win both titles. He always regretted he couldn’t play both pro sports.

Last edited:
I remember Groat more as a Cardinal. I had his baseball card for several of his seasons in MLB. My dad tossed all of my baseball cards when I left for college. I had something like 25,000 of them. Wish he had not done that.

He and fellow Pirate teammate Jerry Lynch owned a golf course near Ligonier, Champion Lakes. I played it several times many moons ago and it was tough, but fun and pretty enough it would draw you back. Tight fairways and lots of trees, and nice and remote. Dick and Jerry were around alot then, super nice guys. This link goes to the course and its history ..... https://pagolf.com/history/

He and fellow Pirate teammate Jerry Lynch owned a golf course near Ligonier, Champion Lakes. I played it several times many moons ago and it was tough, but fun and pretty enough it would draw you back. Tight fairways and lots of trees, and nice and remote. Dick and Jerry were around alot then, super nice guys. This link goes to the course and its history ..... https://pagolf.com/history/
You describe the course characteristics nicely. Dick Groat was very visible and interacted with his golfing clientele frequently and often. What a gem! RIP Mr. Groat.

Reactions: PSU Soupy and 81b&w

I am a Penn Hills grad from the early 60s Dick Groat was friends with our basketball coach and would show up on Sat mornings to scrimage against the high schoolers

Its the only time in my life and limited basketball history that I got to play against an AllAmerica and MLB MVP Brings back some good memories A true yinzer throughout !

A terrific golf course!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT