ADVERTISEMENT

Raise it! Had em all the way.

Never in doubt.
jolly%20roger%20animated.gif

You're up by 4 runs in the 8th. Watson comes on in relief.

He gets one out Then single, single, single, double -- 4 consecutive hits What manager with operating brain cells doesn't replace him???

That's followed by a ground rule double and SUDDENLY (sarcasm intentional), a 4 RUN LEAD IS ERASED.

I like the starting rotation, but the relievers are unbelievably erratic. Look back on the last 20 games and the walks and hits given up.

I would run (not walk) Watson and the pitching coach (Ray Searage) the perimeter of the ballfield 4 laps for the next four games -- before and after. The Bucs relievers seem to have just woken up from naps when they enter a close game.

Never in doubt.

He gets one out Then single, single, single, double -- 4 consecutive hits What manager with operating brain cells doesn't replace him???

That's followed by a ground rule double and SUDDENLY (sarcasm intentional), a 4 RUN LEAD IS ERASED.

I like the starting rotation, but the relievers are unbelievably erratic. Look back on the last 20 games and the walks and hits given up.

I would run (not walk) Watson and the pitching coach (Ray Searage) the perimeter of the ballfield 4 laps for the next four games -- before and after. The Bucs relievers seem to have just woken up from naps when they enter a close game.

At that point in the contest (in the 8th inning with 1 out), I wouldn't call a 4 run lead a close game. The key is to get outs and in all honesty, the first 2 singles weren't frozen ropes.

Credit t6o the Twins, they didn't lay down after the pirates went up 7 - 3. Think back to last weekend when the Pirates tore a National's reliever with a lot of credentials a new one.

I don't expect every pitcher to bring their A game every outing, but I do expect the manager/pitching coach and the guy sitting in the 2nd deck to realize when somebody doesn't have it on that night, especially after 3, 4, 5 consecutive hits.

Only thing missing in that inning was an error, a throw to the wrong base or something else that have been the norm lately. maybe they are all waking up.

I thought the blown lead goes to Hurdle. Watson was not on his game and should have been taken out BEFORE the whole 4 run lead disappeared. I don't blame Watson - every pitcher has outings whiteout their best stuff and command. But with 12 pitchers on a roster a manager should be proactive in making a change before a 4 run lead is crapped away in the 8th inning.

Last edited:
Looking at this track record, no not really. All pitchers have a bad outing every now and then. It's like hitters going into a slump.

Specifically the middle relievers have been erratic - Watson and Melancon have been outstanding all year. Could probably make the argument that they're the best set up and closer tandem in the game. The rest of the bullpen has been iffy, but if the Pirates head into the 8th with a lead it's been nearly a guaranteed victory. And I'm with other posters, bad outings are bound to happen and my concern level with Watson right now is about the same as before last night's game - zilch.

Hurdle probably let Watson go 1 batter too long. Up until the double, there's not a manager in the game who pulls his set-up man with 1 out because of 3 singles with a 4 run lead.

Let's take a look at those 20 games. Here is the Pirates numbers coming out of the pen over that period:

6-0, 8 for 8 on save opps, 53 1/3 innings pitched, 3.38 ERA, 1.27 WHIP (50 hits, 18 walks, 20 earned runs).

So...pretty darn good.

Now if we narrow it to the last 12 games, I think we hit your point:

2-0, 3 for 3 on save opps, 30 1/3 IP, 5.34 ERA, 1.65 WHIP (35 hits, 15 walks, 18 ERs).

Reactions: bison13
wbcincy ... I'm not up on the calculations required for WHIP, but looking at the differences between the 20 game and 12 game stats that you provide, the biggest impact to me is earned runs allowed. Maybe the significant stat is that for the preceding 8 games to the 12, they only allowed 2 earned runs - that's outstanding.

It is conceivable that last night's outing by Watson is merely a blip on the radar.

Bottom line is that the Pirates scratched out an ugly win in a game that they started Charlie Morton. Slice it any way that you want, that is a big plus at this time in the season.

wbcincy ... I'm not up on the calculations required for WHIP, but looking at the differences between the 20 game and 12 game stats that you provide, the biggest impact to me is earned runs allowed. Maybe the significant stat is that for the preceding 8 games to the 12, they only allowed 2 earned runs - that's outstanding.

It is conceivable that last night's outing by Watson is merely a blip on the radar.

Bottom line is that the Pirates scratched out an ugly win in a game that they started Charlie Morton. Slice it any way that you want, that is a big plus at this time in the season.

Just FYI, WHIP is simply Walks + Hits per Inning Pitched. So you just add the walks and hits together and divide it by the innings. I always think of 1.30 WHIP as kind of a baseline. Below that is good, above is getting bad (though some strikeout pitchers that struggle with control can still be great but have higher WHIPs b/c of their walks). To me a 1.30 WHIP is akin to a .270 batting average.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
ADVERTISEMENT