ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Reminder on Alumni Council election ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm happy to see that Sue Wilson has responded to some of the questions in the thread about her candidacy. The PSAAforAll.org slate of candidates have been pretty impressive in reaching out to alums, and responding to the questions raised by alums.

Hopefully many of you have already voted. If you have not, please take the time to do so today. If you have not received a ballot, please contact Votenet at (866) 307-0041, and they'll work to get you a ballot (if you are a AA member).

After you take care of your personal responsibility of voting, please start reaching out to family, friends, work associates, etc., and encourage them to vote. Explain the issues in the PSAA election, point them to the PSAAforAll.org web site, and if they have not received a ballot give them the Votenet number. As Toni indicated in the thread about her candidacy, turnout (so to speak) is the key here. I spent the weekend contacting immediate family and friends that are members, and giving them the aforementioned. I'll be reaching a bit farther in the coming days to those with whom I don't communicate frequently, but who I think could/should be voting. If you want to be part of a process that effects change, you've got to get engaged, at least to the point of what I've outlined in this paragraph.

Voting ends on May 31st. Between the upcoming holidays, and everything else going on in people's busy lives, we'll reach that date pretty soon.

Tom

I'm happy to see that Sue Wilson has responded to some of the questions in the thread about her candidacy. The PSAAforAll.org slate of candidates have been pretty impressive in reaching out to alums, and responding to the questions raised by alums.

Hopefully many of you have already voted. If you have not, please take the time to do so today. If you have not received a ballot, please contact Votenet at (866) 307-0041, and they'll work to get you a ballot (if you are a AA member).

After you take care of your personal responsibility of voting, please start reaching out to family, friends, work associates, etc., and encourage them to vote. Explain the issues in the PSAA election, point them to the PSAAforAll.org web site, and if they have not received a ballot give them the Votenet number. As Toni indicated in the thread about her candidacy, turnout (so to speak) is the key here. I spent the weekend contacting immediate family and friends that are members, and giving them the aforementioned. I'll be reaching a bit farther in the coming days to those with whom I don't communicate frequently, but who I think could/should be voting. If you want to be part of a process that effects change, you've got to get engaged, at least to the point of what I've outlined in this paragraph.

Voting ends on May 31st. Between the upcoming holidays, and everything else going on in people's busy lives, we'll reach that date pretty soon.

Tom

^^^ This ^^^

Deborah Beidel's tireless work on Alumni Council inspires me to do what I can to make sure she has more help. She is one voice asking questions that never seem to get answered, and I want (at least) 10 more voices asking those same questions. And when the answer is "silly, that's the way we've always done things", then I want change.

I'm not looking for miracles but I am looking for accountability. Unfortunately, as of this July alumni elected council members will be outnumbered 30 to 77 (unless the Executive Board decides to eliminate alumni elected seats, which Alumni Council voted to to allow them to do at any time), and at the last council meeting the Executive Board announced universal suffrage for all council members.

I've read the bylaws, and I think the only members of the Alumni Council who are required to be Penn State alumni are the elected members. So depending on which IRS filing you read, our Alumni Association is now governed by 56 (soon to be 77) people who don't have to be Penn Staters and don't have to answer to the alumni.

Deborah Beidel's tireless work on Alumni Council inspires me to do what I can to make sure she has more help. She is one voice asking questions that never seem to get answered, and I want (at least) 10 more voices asking those same questions. And when the answer is "silly, that's the way we've always done things", then I want change.

I'm not looking for miracles but I am looking for accountability. Unfortunately, as of this July alumni elected council members will be outnumbered 30 to 77 (unless the Executive Board decides to eliminate alumni elected seats, which Alumni Council voted to to allow them to do at any time), and at the last council meeting the Executive Board announced universal suffrage for all council members.

I've read the bylaws, and I think the only members of the Alumni Council who are required to be Penn State alumni are the elected members. So depending on which IRS filing you read, our Alumni Association is now governed by 56 (soon to be 77) people who don't have to be Penn Staters and don't have to answer to the alumni.

Yep.

And this is a case where the identification of STAKEHOLDERS is as clear as can be. The stakeholders are the dues paying members of the Alumni Association. PERIOD. End of story.

And those stakeholders have been marginalized to the point of near impotence. It is a travesty which should be opposed with the efforts of every real Penn Stater.

The shame of it is, the best way to oppose these bastards is to turn off the PSU AA....stop giving, stop attending, stop buying their crappy branded merchandise, etc. Penn Staters clearly don't WANT to do that, but that may be the best course of action.

Reactions: mbahses
^^^ This ^^^

Tom

Bump. Vote and spread the word. ;)

Folks,

We're now 10 days from the end of voting. If you're an AA member, have you voted? Whether you're an AA member or not, have you contacted your family members, friends, associates that are AA members, and discussed the election with them?

Most of the PSAAforALL slate of candidates have posted on this board in the past week. They are an impressive group of candidates, and I hope you will give them serious consideration, as well as recommend them to any PSAA members you know.

Deb Beidel needs assistance on Alumni Council. I urge you to make an effort to provide her with the help she needs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT