ADVERTISEMENT

PSU picked by B1G media 3rd in East...

VaNtyLion

Jul 11, 2001
Can't find much to complain about there. OSU and MSU are pretty clear #1 and #2. Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana all take a step back, so that leaves PSU and Michigan in the middle...with our schedule being much more favorable.

Can't find much to complain about there. OSU and MSU are pretty clear #1 and #2. Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana all take a step back, so that leaves PSU and Michigan in the middle...with our schedule being much more favorable.
I think we'll finish second behind OSU, and ahead of MSU! It doesn't really matter unless we win the east outright, as we still won't get to compete for the B1G title. Therefore, let's try to finish first!

We will be at the top of the mediocre group? In all seriousness the gap between us and OSU/MSU is pretty big.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I think we'll finish second behind OSU, and ahead of MSU! It doesn't really matter unless we win the east outright, as we still won't get to compete for the B1G title. Therefore, let's try to finish first!

Um, yea, I think that's generally the Coaching Staff's plan, but the corrupt b1g Turd conference cheating to fulfill their corrupt preordained outcomes is a bit of a complicating factor.

Not as big as some portray and college football gaps change quickly season to season. PSU is gaining ground quickly, IMHO.
Agreed Howie. We almost, and should have beaten OSU last year, and that was with only having 60 or less scholarship players on our team roster. When spirited rivalry games are played, there are no preordained outcomes that are certain!
Um, yea, I think that's generally the Coaching Staff's plan, but the corrupt b1g Turd conference cheating to fulfill their corrupt preordained outcomes is a bit of a complicating factor.
I think it is time we stop blaming the refs for our losses to OSU and UM. Yes, they robbed us against UM in 99, and even may have hosed us last year when calling the jumping on the back by Mike Hull that could have cost us the game. Honestly though, if we just put ourselves in position to dominate the other team, there is little refs can do to stop us. They certainly can try, and I do believe there is a bias against us, but we just need to dominate.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Agreed Howie. We almost, and should have beaten OSU last year, and that was with only having 60 or less scholarship players on our team roster. When spirited rivalry games are played, there are no preordained outcomes that are certain!
I think it is time we stop blaming the refs for our losses to OSU and UM. Yes, they robbed us against UM in 99, and even may have hosed us last year when calling the jumping on the back by Mike Hull that could have cost us the game. Honestly though, if we just put ourselves in position to dominate the other team, there is little refs can do to stop us. They certainly can try, and I do believe there is a bias against us, but we just need to dominate.
"Just dominating" is not practical against good teams. Sure, you can dominate Buffalo, or Army, or Rutgers (most everyone does), but you will seldom dominate teams like OSU, or MSU, or Wisconsin, and you shouldn't have to. All you want is a fair shake. That has not happened to us in this conference and until it does, we will be at a disadvantage in every close game.

"Just dominating" is not practical against good teams. Sure, you can dominate Buffalo, or Army, or Rutgers (most everyone does), but you will seldom dominate teams like OSU, or MSU, or Wisconsin, and you shouldn't have to. All you want is a fair shake. That has not happened to us in this conference and until it does, we will be at a disadvantage in every close game.
Fairgamit: By dominate, I mean to beat them sufficiently that the game doesn't have to come down to the very last play to win. I don't argue that we should do to OSU what we did to each other in 1994 and 2013, but I do think we can beat them by a wide enough margin that the refs don't have to do their things to lose it for us. BTW, I would love to just kill OSU again in a few years when we are at full strength and they are resting on their laurels! They still treat us like we treat Rutgers! I do empathize with Rutgers, but not too much :)

Jaredeman74, I agree with your first paragraph; however, as fairgambit stated, "dominating" a national-championship caliber team is rare, indeed. I think the best example of what you are saying is our 1994 squad that had NFL talent as backups at FB and TB. That squad was so loaded with talent that it sent all 5 OL to the NFL, though some only for a short while. The QB, TE, and leading WR were career NFLers. Yet, despite all that talent, and a defense that managed to shut out powerhouse offenses from USC and OSU in the first half of lopsided wins, it took the magic of Collins-to-Engram to escape Michigan with a win. Go back and look at the tape of that game and you will see why.

Urban Meyer is a great coach, arguably the best in the country. He is an A+ recruiter, and he's not getting complacent in the least. Yet you expect James Franklin to field a squad that can have bouncing ball interceptions, extended play FGs, bogus PF penalties, and massive holding go against it -- and then still beat the national championship team? Goodness gracious. If we ever get that kind of dominating team, I'll buy you a steak dinner. :)

Reactions: therod

Um, yea, just because you spake it, that must make it so.........................NOT!

PSU was robbed last year by a disgraceful, shameless, zero-integrity, busb-league, cheating conference. Those are the FACTS, the fact you wish to twist and rationalize those facts to place blame where it absolutely does not belong (on PSU), or your seeming need to do such a thing, is your issue, not mine.

Bushwood: I enjoy your posts but, dude, lighten up on jerademan. He wasn't twisting any facts. He acknowledged that the Lions got jobbed by the refs. His only point was to express the hope that the Lions dominate future opponents sufficiently that a crappy officiating call or two will not affect the outcome of the game. That may not happen, but what's wrong with hoping it does?.

Jaredeman74, I agree with your first paragraph; however, as fairgambit stated, "dominating" a national-championship caliber team is rare, indeed. I think the best example of what you are saying is our 1994 squad that had NFL talent as backups at FB and TB. That squad was so loaded with talent that it sent all 5 OL to the NFL, though some only for a short while. The QB, TE, and leading WR were career NFLers. Yet, despite all that talent, and a defense that managed to shut out powerhouse offenses from USC and OSU in the first half of lopsided wins, it took the magic of Collins-to-Engram to escape Michigan with a win. Go back and look at the tape of that game and you will see why.

Urban Meyer is a great coach, arguably the best in the country. He is an A+ recruiter, and he's not getting complacent in the least. Yet you expect James Franklin to field a squad that can have bouncing ball interceptions, extended play FGs, bogus PF penalties, and massive holding go against it -- and then still beat the national championship team? Goodness gracious. If we ever get that kind of dominating team, I'll buy you a steak dinner. :)

I dare say that what tO$U did to Bama in the playoffs last year constitutes exactly that. And while rare, it does happen, more often in college ball than the pros. That's part of the magic of the college experience!

Bushwood: I enjoy your posts but, dude, lighten up on jerademan. He wasn't twisting any facts. He acknowledged that the Lions got jobbed by the refs. His only point was to express the hope that the Lions dominate future opponents sufficiently that a crappy officiating call or two will not affect the outcome of the game. That may not happen, but what's wrong with hoping it does?.

Really? "His only point was...blah, blah, blah" Gee, you must have missed this sentence:

"I think it is time we stop blaming the refs for our losses".

Hard to believe given that it was the FIRST SENTENCE of his absurdly pedantic and nonsensical lecturing response to me. Maybe you need to not only lighten up, but since we're handing out recommendations, my suggestion for you is that you go find some heavy traffic and commence to playing in the middle of it.

Interesting. I thought if we were ranked third we'd have been behind OSU and Rutgers.

Oh yeah! Rutgers board was debating which win was going to be more enjoyable this season. PSU won out in a close vote over the National champs. God how they love us over at Staten Island West!

To be a dominant program once again we should beat lessor teams by comfortable scores. Generally the game should be over by the 3rd quarter. This would not be the case against the 3-4 "good" teams we play most every year.
As far as Big 10 officials we have most definitely gotten more than our "fair" share of BAD calls. Actually, if the bad calls would equal out I would have less of a problem. I'm sure the Big 10 officials as a "group" do not plan to make calls against PSU, but as "individuals" they appear to do so. In short, is a conspiracy decisions made by individuals?

Oh yeah! Rutgers board was debating which win was going to be more enjoyable this season. PSU won out in a close vote over the National champs. God how they love us over at Staten Island West!

If they couldn't beat PSU last year, what makes them think they have a shot this year?

OSU will clearly be dominant. I'm not as convinced w msu. How many starters do they return?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT