ADVERTISEMENT

PSU lands NJ lightweight

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
Pat Higgins, Woodstown Class of 2015. 36-6 as a SR, went 2-2 at states at 120. Projects 125/133.

Chose PSU over Virginia Tech. Looks like he committed back in April.

Reactions: Maddog
Nice. Welcome aboard Pat. You will love wrestling at Penn State.

Saw something about this a couple night ago but didn't say something because I didn't know enough about the kid

Pat Higgins, Woodstown Class of 2015. 36-6 as a SR, went 2-2 at states at 120. Projects 125/133.

Chose PSU over Virginia Tech. Looks like he committed back in April.

Okay, I'll be the first to ask the obvious question. What does this mean, if anything, about the other lightweights that PSU is reportedly recruiting (Suriano, Pletcher, Redd)?

Okay, I'll be the first to ask the obvious question. What does this mean, if anything, about the other lightweights that PSU is reportedly recruiting (Suriano, Pletcher, Redd)?
My educated GUESS would be nothing. Think Higgins is more of a depth pick up and I doubt he getting any $$$

Interesting news.

A good reminder that every year we wait to learn of the entire recruiting class. For whatever reason(s), PSU is rather slow to release the info.

As El-Jefe indicated, Higgins went 2-2 at this year's NJ states at 120. His specific results were:

R1: Patrick Higgins, Woodstown, defeated Blake Rogers, Rancocas Valley, 5-0
R2: Owen McClave, Toms River South, defeated Patrick Higgins, Woodstown, 9-2
R1 Consolation: Patrick Higgins, Woodstown, pinned Stephen Nadera, Old Bridge, 4:37
R2 Consolation: Chris Crane, Southern, defeated Patrick Higgins, Woodstown, 9-3

Nick Suriano (a name we have discussed a great deal of late) won 120 at this year's NJ states. Owen McClave, who Higgins lost to in R2, got to the semis, where he lost to Suriano. I believe the loser in the other semi, Anthony Rubinetti, is headed to Northwestern, so there was more than a little talent in the bracket.

Tom, you're right, Rubinetti is going to Northwestern. He finished 4th behind Suriano, Ty Agaisse (2016 Princeton commit, #64 overall), and Zack Firestone (2016, uncommitted, won Higgins' regional). McClave finished 5th.

If I heard right, Higgins wrestled the postseason with a hand or wrist injury that required surgery. This tells me he's tough, he's a little better than advertised (though not Suriano's level, let's not get carried away), and he probably won't get discouraged by the beatings in the room.

Higgins is old school hard nosed. My son was a SR when Higgins was a freshman. Tough. Watched him wrestle since he was a little kid. The youngest of 4 brothers I think and they were tough on him like all big bros are. Father is a retired State Cop. I'm not sure he'll ever start. I don't think he has that type of talent but what do I know. He will definitely give you all he's got and fears nothing or nobody. Gritty tough kid. Will help out in the room for sure by making others bring it everyday. Happy for Pat and hope he does well. Good kid and family

Reactions: jtothemfp
Sounds like Conaway.....one never knows how these things work out. Having this type of depth is how you overcome injuries or allow for a redshirt and still have a NC type team.

Agree with FT here. Certainly don't want to be negative, but it is also better to have realistic expectations. I am very familiar with the Jersey kids that he both beat and lost to at states. Right now he is not at the level JC was as a senior in HS. Don't think this has any effect on PSU lightweight recruiting, but would be more in line with the lightweight recruits that we have brought in the past couple of years. Hopefully he works hard and is an asset in the room - kids with less credentials have surprised in the past. Good luck and welcome to Higgins.

Best of luck to Pat. It sounds like he has the work ethic and personality to get the most out of his talent. And I mean no disrespect by asking this, but ... when was the last time PSU had a starter who never placed at either his high school state tournament or national preps?

Perhaps he's just a year behind Anthony Cassar muturity wise and we know whre he is today! ;-)
I believe Cael and Company have invited him onto the team for good reasons.

Look forward to seeing Mr Higgins come in and show what he has and grow as a young man and a wrestler.

Here was the top 8 at 120 in NJ last year.

1 Nick Suriano, Bergen Catholic (40-0) 11
2 Ty Agaisse, Delbarton (28-3) 11 PrincetonRecruit
3 Zach Firestone, Clearview (38-1) 11
4 Anthony Rubinetti, Demarest (43-7) 12 Northwestern Recruit
5 Owen McClave, Toms River South (35-2) 11
6 Troy Stanich, Roxbury (38-5) 11
7 Sam Schneider, Emerson Boro (43-5) 11
8 Kyle DiNapoli, Voorhees (35-7) 11

Best of luck to Pat. It sounds like he has the work ethic and personality to get the most out of his talent. And I mean no disrespect by asking this, but ... when was the last time PSU had a starter who never placed at either his high school state tournament or national preps?
Most likely Adam Lynch (who never qualified for states). Also not sure offhand if Justin Ortega placed at states.

Adam lynch appears to be a good example of the kind of guys we are looking for. Guys that dont have all the athletic stars next to their name but off the mat the stars are the limits for.

Nice addition and glad to have him.

Pat Cummins never placed at states and was a 2x AA for PSU. Of course, PA did not have a 215/220 weight class back then.

Adam lynch appears to be a good example of the kind of guys we are looking for. Guys that dont have all the athletic stars next to their name but off the mat the stars are the limits for.

Nice addition and glad to have him.

PLEASE COME AROUND MORE OFTEN.

You have Internet Fans, you know, dunk!:)

ADVERTISEMENT