ADVERTISEMENT

PSU Ice Hockey releases schedule

doctornick

Sep 4, 2007
The men's ice hockey team officially released their 2015-16 schedule today: Ice Hockey schedule

2015-16 Schedule
Oct. 4 - vs. Windsor (Ex.)
Oct. 10 - at Canisius
Oct. 16-17 - vs. Notre Dame
Oct. 23-24 - vs. AIC
Oct. 29-30 - vs. St. Lawrence
Nov. 6 - at Niagara
Nov. 13-14 - vs. Sacred Heart
Nov. 20-21 - at Alaska Anchorage
Nov. 29 - vs. Vermont (Wells Fargo Center - Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff)
Dec. 4-5 - vs. Michigan State
Dec. 11 - vs. Princeton
Dec. 29 - vs. Robert Morris (CONSOL Energy Center - Three Rivers Classic)
Dec. 30 - vs. UMass Lowell/Clarkson (CONSOL Energy Center - Three Rivers Classic)
Jan. 8-9 - vs. Minnesota
Jan. 15-16 - vs. Wisconsin
Jan. 22-23 - at Ohio State
Jan. 28 - vs. Michigan
Jan. 30 - vs. Michigan (Madison Square Garden)
Feb. 5-6 - at Minnesota
Feb. 12-13 - at Michigan State
Feb. 19-20 - vs. Ohio State
March 4-5 - at Wisconsin
March 11-12 - at Michigan
March 17-19 - Big Ten Tournament

Very front loaded with home games in conference. The highlight of the non-conference slate is the home games versus Notre Dame. More games against Atlantic Hockey teams than I would like, but at least we see some new opponents added to the mix.

Looks great! I'm really looking forward to the double header basketball/hockey game against michigan.

Back to Alaska. We were there last year, and I know Gadowsky coached up there back in the day. Trips to Alaska do allow us to play 2 extra games total (theoretically, home games that would net $$$).

It's sort of dumb that for the NYC b-ball/hockey doubleheader, we are the ones giving away the home game in BOTH sports. Should have made U-M give up the home hockey game (nobody goes to our hoops games anyway).

It's sort of dumb that for the NYC b-ball/hockey doubleheader, we are the ones giving away the home game in BOTH sports. Should have made U-M give up the home hockey game (nobody goes to our hoops games anyway).

Yeah, I'm surprised/disappointed that we are giving up both the hoops and the hockey home date. No reason Michigan couldn't have given up the home hockey date.

The men's ice hockey team officially released their 2015-16 schedule today: Ice Hockey schedule

2015-16 Schedule
Oct. 10 - at Canisius
Oct. 23-24 - vs. AIC
Nov. 6 - at Niagara
Nov. 29 - vs. Vermont (Wells Fargo Center - Philadelphia College Hockey Faceoff)
Dec. 11 - vs. Princeton
Dec. 30 - vs. UMass Lowell/Clarkson (CONSOL Energy Center - Three Rivers Classic)
Jan. 8-9 - vs. Minnesota
Jan. 28 - vs. Michigan
Feb. 5-6 - at Minnesota
March 4-5 - at Wisconsin

Very front loaded with home games in conference. The highlight of the non-conference slate is the home games versus Notre Dame. More games against Atlantic Hockey teams than I would like, but at least we see some new opponents added to the mix.

Playing in Alaska seems crazy for an athletic department in the red. Not exactly a good flight cost wise (same with the men's volleyball team going to Hawaii last year).

Good to see the Vermont game in Philly continue although Vermont is a pretty settled program that would still see Psu as the 'newbie'. Not sure why they are always happy playing in Philly. I know their connection with the Flyers but I'd assume they'd want return games.

I have no idea why they would ever give up a home game against Michigan to be played at Madison Square Garden. That could be a crucial game and you're going to take away home ice to play in what will be a morgue with way more empty rather than filled seats?

Back to Alaska. We were there last year, and I know Gadowsky coached up there back in the day. Trips to Alaska do allow us to play 2 extra games total (theoretically, home games that would net $$$).

You are right in saying that not many people watch our Basketball team but it's still a great opportunity for our teams to play at a historic venue. I'm one of those delusional people who says each year that our basketball team will be much improved the next year. It never seems to work out though. Do you think that our hockey team will improve on last years breakout season? Seems loosing bailey might make the prospect of surpassing last years season more difficult. But I'm a novice on ice hockey and honestly still am learning.

Playing in Alaska seems crazy for an athletic department in the red. Not exactly a good flight cost wise (same with the men's volleyball team going to Hawaii last year).

I believe the Alaska schools typically kick in money to defray travel costs to get schools to play there.

So, the breakdown on conferences is:

20 conference games
7 games versus Atlantic Hockey teams
3 games versus Hockey East teams
3 games versus ECAC teams
2 games versus a WHCA team
1 additional games versus either a Hockey East or ECAC team

No games versus NCHC teams unfortunately.

I realize that we are still building the program, but I'd like to see us reduce the number of games versus Atlantic Hockey teams -- for those who don't know, that's the weakest conference and they don't even give a full allotment of scholarships. Doesn't help our RPI and Pairwise rankings much playing those teams. Please to finally see Princeton on the schedule -- thought it would happen a while ago with the relatively proximity and the Gadowsky connection.

I believe the Alaska schools typically kick in money to defray travel costs to get schools to play there.
I think I've read in the past that teams which travel to Alaska are able to play a couple extra games as an added incentive to make the trip much like football teams which play at Hawaii. Maybe I'm wrong about that. It's also good seeing us make a couple trips which are somewhat local in Canisius and Niagara. The games against Robert Morris are good and I'd also like to see us play Mercyhurst from time to time. There are currently only three D1 hockey teams in Pennsylvania. Having them play each other occasionally would be a good way to boost the local popularity of college hockey.

I think I've read in the past that teams which travel to Alaska are able to play a couple extra games as an added incentive to make the trip much like football teams which play at Hawaii. Maybe I'm wrong about that. It's also good seeing us make a couple trips which are somewhat local in Canisius and Niagara. The games against Robert Morris are good and I'd also like to see us play Mercyhurst from time to time. There are currently only three D1 hockey teams in Pennsylvania. Having them play each other occasionally would be a good way to boost the local popularity of college hockey.

Yes, you do get extra games. PSU is playing 36 games this season, as opposed to the standard 34 game season -- 2 bonus games for the 2 games they are playing in Alaska. They played 36 games last season as well IIRC since they also had an Alaska trip.

And I totally agree with playing Mercyhurst. If we are going to play AHA teams, I'd rather see them on the schedule than American International or Sacred Heart.

Another "local" team I'd like to see us play sometime would be Cornell. They aren't too far away and are a pretty good team.

2015-16 Schedule
Oct. 10 - at Canisius
Oct. 23-24 - vs. AIC
Nov. 6 - at Niagara
Dec. 11 - vs. Princeton
Jan. 8-9 - vs. Minnesota
Jan. 28 - vs. Michigan
Feb. 5-6 - at Minnesota
March 4-5 - at Wisconsin

It's a decent schedule with good variety. There will be some under the radar very challenging OOC games with St. Lawrence and Niagara. My only criticism is we have not been able to work out any series with NCHC teams yet (although I have a feeling some of that may be spite for PSU's arrival on the scene essentially dissolving the old WCHA where many of those teams played and enjoyed rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin).

We've been able to get a good number of games with Hockey East schools and that continues this year with Notre Dame, Vermont and possibility of playing UML in Pittsburgh over Christmas.

ADVERTISEMENT