ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Your Top Three All-time Best/Most Iconic Rock Lead Singer/Frontmen?

Best All Time Rock Lead Singer/Frontman!

• Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin

Votes: 80 40.2%
  • Freddy Mercury, Queen

Votes: 72 36.2%
  • Bono, U2

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • Axl Rose, Guns N Roses

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jim Morrison, The Doors

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones

Votes: 91 45.7%
  • Roger Daltrey, The Who

Votes: 49 24.6%
  • Kurt Cobain, Nirvana

Votes: 9 4.5%

• Total voters
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Extremely hard to whittle this list down to 9 (left one space for write in's), and I focused a lot on the 'legendary' acts (with a few controversial contemporary ones thrown in for color). Hard to compare eras, but whatever - write in whomever you want. Also, this isn't limited to best singer/voice; think charisma, celebrity, etc. Hope this is fun for everyone and look forward to a LOT of write-in's....Also, everyone can vote for three, so should hopefully make for a bit of variety in the answers.

CAVEAT: I did not put Paul McCartney or John Lennon on this poll because both fronted The Beatles for the most part and they started out as a pop band. Still, write in if you like.

1. Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin

55-16740-led-zeppelin-at-the-forum-1401381021.jpg

2. Freddy Mercury, Queen

img976.jpg

3. Bono, U2

bono.jpg

4. Axl Rose, Guns N' Roses

youngaxl.jpg

5. Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters

Dave-Grohl.jpg

6. Jim Morrison, The Doors

rVBxy.jpg

7. Mick Jagger, The Rolling Stones

article-0-005B261F00000258-826_306x538.jpg

8. Roger Daltrey, The Who

9. Kurt Cobain, Nirvana

kurtcobain_qingdao2011.jpg

Not sure how Eddie Vedder was left off the list. I'd easily put him ahead of Cobain, Grohl, and Rose. The only place he lags any of these guys is maybe in a little charisma to Grohl. But he is 10x the musician/singer that Grohl is.

Reactions: Rjyoung317
Not sure how Eddie Vedder was left off the list. I'd easily put him ahead of Cobain, Grohl, and Rose. The only place he lags any of these guys is maybe in a little charisma to Grohl. But he is 10x the musician/singer that Grohl is.

I love Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder; he's maybe in the Top 20 for me though. I think the whole Ticketmaster thing really derailed Pearl Jam and their popularity (though they have a very dedicated following). But, I can't put him anywhere near Dave Grohl when it comes to musicianship - Grohl is maybe one of the top five rock drummers of all time and is at a minimum 'more than capable' with a guitar. Vedder is a good songwriter and singer, but I wouldn't say he's a good or great guitar player.

Reactions: simons96
Grohl is the odd man out here. Not even in the same league IMO as most of the others.

Ask the average rock fan who people are many will say "who?"

I enjoy the Foo Fighters as much as the next guy, but the question was Lead Singer / Front Man.

LdN

I love Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder; he's maybe in the Top 20 for me though. I think the whole Ticketmaster thing really derailed Pearl Jam and their popularity (though they have a very dedicated following). But, I can't put him anywhere near Dave Grohl when it comes to musicianship - Grohl is maybe one of the top five rock drummers of all time and is at a minimum 'more than capable' with a guitar. Vedder is a good songwriter and singer, but I wouldn't say he's a good or great guitar player.
I can't follow your logic here. Grohl, Cobain,and Bono are the only guys in your poll who play/played any instruments and Bono certainly isn't known for his guitar skills.

Daltrey should be off the list for not writing any songs and how could you leave Bruce off?

Write in vote for Eddie Vedder from me.

I like Vedder but I think its the other way around and Grohl is 10x the musician Vedder is. JMO.

I can't follow your logic here. Grohl, Cobain,and Bono are the only guys in your poll who play/played any instruments and Bono certainly isn't known for his guitar skills.

Daltrey should be off the list for not writing any songs and how could you leave Bruce off?

Write in vote for Eddie Vedder from me.
Robert Plant was an excellent harmonica player. Also, your adding all kinds of requirements not specified by the OP. The OP entitled it,

"All-time Best/Most Iconic Rock Lead Singer/Frontmen?"

Last edited:
From the list, I picked Plant. I would have named Bruce and Sting as my other two.

Extremely hard to whittle this list down to 9 (left one space for write in's), and I focused a lot on the 'legendary' acts (with a few controversial contemporary ones thrown in for color). Hard to compare eras, but whatever - write in whomever you want. Also, this isn't limited to best singer/voice; think charisma, celebrity, etc. Hope this is fun for everyone and look forward to a LOT of write-in's....Also, everyone can vote for three, so should hopefully make for a bit of variety in the answers.

CAVEAT: I did not put Paul McCartney or John Lennon on this poll because both fronted The Beatles for the most part and they started out as a pop band. Still, write in if you like.

2. Freddy Mercury, Queen

img976.jpg

3. Bono, U2

bono.jpg

youngaxl.jpg

Dave-Grohl.jpg

rVBxy.jpg

9. Kurt Cobain, Nirvana

How can you not have the best rock singer ever, the great drummer / singer Don Henley of the Eagles?? "Peaceful Easy Feeling", "Hotel California", "Winslow AZ", and on an don.

I voted for Robert Plant, he's my second favorite. Jon Anderson would be my first (what a surprise).

1. Based on OP's criteria, songwriting, creativity and ability to play an instrument don't seem relevant.

2. I think Bruce Springsteen, David Lee Roth and Steven Tyler are all more worthy than David Grohl.

Reactions: Hotshoe and N&B4PSU

I agree that Ticketmaster derailed Pearl Jam from mainstream popularity, but that is just one aspect of popularity. Pearl Jam will sell out a live show in minutes, foo fighters tickets are not hard to get. Pearl Jam has sold 3 times as many records as FF in the US, and more worldwide also.

I love foo fighters, Dave Grohl included. Dave is a great songwriter and charismatic front man. He is not a great singer, and I completely disagree about his drumming ability. He is a passable drummer, even Foo Fighter's own Taylor Hawkins is a much better drummer. Not to mention Matt Cameron who not only plays for Pearl Jam, but also Soundgarden. I'd say they are fairly equal with a guitar, but I would give the edge to Vedder. Eddie does plenty of solo tours, and entertains with his voice and a guitar (with a little harmonica). If Grohl ever attempted a solo tour, I would go see it in a heartbeat, but I don't think he could pull it off like Vedder does. There is no contest with singing, Vedder destroys Grohl at a live show. Both are charismatic, fun people to watch on stage, both very entertaining. I give the edge to Dave, but not by much. In the end they are my two favorite bands.

Just found this to support my argument... Rolling stone ranked Cobain #10, Chris Cornell #9 (another missing from your list), Vedder #7, Grohl and Rose were not listed.

Grohl is the odd man out here. Not even in the same league IMO as most of the others.

Ask the average rock fan who people are many will say "who?"

I enjoy the Foo Fighters as much as the next guy, but the question was Lead Singer / Front Man.

LdN

Well, Grohl is essentially carrying the torch for modern rock bands and has been for 20 years with Foo Fighters (yeah, I couldn't believe I just heard they celebrated their 20th anniversary - feeling super old). Anyway, he'll probably be in the R&R HOF as a member of two bands, but that's certainly not enough to put him up there with Plant and Jagger. Still, I couldn't think of another contemporary rock front man to put ahead of him (actually, Anthony Kiedis might work), and I think he's more popular than you might think.

Reactions: es19
Robert Plant was an excellent harmonica player. Also, your adding all kinds of requirements not specified by the OP. The OP entitled it,

"All-time Best/Most Iconic Rock Lead Singer/Frontmen?"

For sure; songwriting and musicianship weren't really my top criteria for this poll. If so, it would be drastically different. Was thinking more in terms of presence, charisma, etc., though some of these guys are world class singers and musicians (Mercury gets my singing vote; Grohl my musician vote).

I agree that Ticketmaster derailed Pearl Jam from mainstream popularity, but that is just one aspect of popularity. Pearl Jam will sell out a live show in minutes, foo fighters tickets are not hard to get. Pearl Jam has sold 3 times as many records as FF in the US, and more worldwide also.

I love foo fighters, Dave Grohl included. Dave is a great songwriter and charismatic front man. He is not a great singer, and I completely disagree about his drumming ability. He is a passable drummer, even Foo Fighter's own Taylor Hawkins is a much better drummer. Not to mention Matt Cameron who not only plays for Pearl Jam, but also Soundgarden. I'd say they are fairly equal with a guitar, but I would give the edge to Vedder. Eddie does plenty of solo tours, and entertains with his voice and a guitar (with a little harmonica). If Grohl ever attempted a solo tour, I would go see it in a heartbeat, but I don't think he could pull it off like Vedder does. There is no contest with singing, Vedder destroys Grohl at a live show. Both are charismatic, fun people to watch on stage, both very entertaining. I give the edge to Dave, but not by much. In the end they are my two favorite bands.

Just found this to support my argument... Rolling stone ranked Cobain #10, Chris Cornell #9 (another missing from your list), Vedder #7, Grohl and Rose were not listed.

What Rolling Stone poll was that? Rock singers? Cornell has a great voice but zero stage presence. I've seen him and he's great, but very little energy compared to Grohl or Cobain.

Axl Rose was recently listed as having the best vocal range of *any* singer in pop/rock history - I have no idea how he doesn't end up on any list of all time great frontmen.

What Rolling Stone poll was that? Rock singers? Cornell has a great voice but zero stage presence. I've seen him and he's great, but very little energy compared to Grohl or Cobain.

Axl Rose was recently listed as having the best vocal range of *any* singer in pop/rock history - I have no idea how he doesn't end up on any list of all time great frontmen.
He's pretty self-effacing about the whole thing too.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...ncorrectly-named-greatest-singer-of-all-time/

Good stuff from Axl:

"From what I could tell, the original article was for the most part only talking about the professionally recorded vocal range of the singers they compared calling the entire group “The World’s Greatest Singers.” It’s very flattering and humbling to be included in such an illustrious ensemble.

If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I’d say first that I don’t know there’s a definitive answer as in my opinion it’s subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers.

That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, Dan McCafferty, Janice Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly 70’s rock singers) and would rather hear ANY of them anytime rather than me!"

He's pretty self-effacing about the whole thing too.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/...ncorrectly-named-greatest-singer-of-all-time/

Good stuff from Axl:

"From what I could tell, the original article was for the most part only talking about the professionally recorded vocal range of the singers they compared calling the entire group “The World’s Greatest Singers.” It’s very flattering and humbling to be included in such an illustrious ensemble.

If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I’d say first that I don’t know there’s a definitive answer as in my opinion it’s subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers.

That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, Dan McCafferty, Janice Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly 70’s rock singers) and would rather hear ANY of them anytime rather than me!"
Other names not mentioned are : Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Randy California, Dave Mason, Jimmy Paige, Dan Fogelberg, Ian Anderson, etc.!

2. Freddy Mercury, Queen

img976.jpg

3. Bono, U2

bono.jpg

youngaxl.jpg

Dave-Grohl.jpg

rVBxy.jpg

9. Kurt Cobain, Nirvana

Here is the top 100 list from Rolling Stone magazine. I don't agree with the rankings, but it is pretty inclusive:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/bob-dylan-20110420

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Well, Grohl is essentially carrying the torch for modern rock bands and has been for 20 years with Foo Fighters (yeah, I couldn't believe I just heard they celebrated their 20th anniversary - feeling super old). Anyway, he'll probably be in the R&R HOF as a member of two bands, but that's certainly not enough to put him up there with Plant and Jagger. Still, I couldn't think of another contemporary rock front man to put ahead of him (actually, Anthony Kiedis might work), and I think he's more popular than you might think.

I agree with your point about Grohl holding it down for "rock" in today's day. I just don't find him as interesting as any of the others.

And again, during his day, Axl Rose was the biggest rock celebrity in the world. Not sure Grohl has ever been close. Maybe Nirvana/Cobain, but not the Foo Fighters.

It's a sad state of music today. there was a sort of renaissance with Alternative a few years ago, but that died quickly when they pushed it into the mainstream. Look at the number of posts here for example http://arcadefire.com/site/

Even Electronic music lately has been horrid.

One guy you missed was Prince. He was/is a rocker and he's as big as anyone.

LdN

Reactions: ralphster
I am assuming by frontman you are meaning of a band as opposed to being a solo artist. Otherwise, how the hell could Springsteen not be on the list?

The link below is to the RS list of the 10 best LEAD singers of all time:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/p...ck-the-best-lead-singers-of-all-time-20110412

I agree that Cornell has less stage presence, he is downright awkward sometimes, but he is just so damn talented. I've seen him solo, in Audioslave, Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog... he never disappoints. I've never seen Cobain in person, just videos. Grohl has the best stage presence, but I think that is out of necessity because he is the worst singer in this discussion.

Can't take this list seriously when:

Johnny Rotten Sex Pistols

Joey Ramone Ramones

Glen Danzig Misfits

Lux Interior Cramps

Dave Vanian Damned

Marc Bolan T. Rex

Lou Reed Velvet Underground

David Johansen New York Dolls

John Thunders The Heartbreakers

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

No Jimi Hendrix?

From your list -- 1. Freddie Mercury 2. Mick Jagger 3. Jim Morrison

Johnny Rotten Sex Pistols

Joey Ramone Ramones

Glen Danzig Misfits

Lux Interior Cramps

Dave Vanian Damned

Marc Bolan T. Rex

Lou Reed Velvet Underground

David Johansen New York Dolls

John Thunders The Heartbreakers

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Iggy Pop The Stooges

:D

Dumb poll... Are you looking for "frontman" or "lead-singer".... Frontman is quite different (master-of-ceremonies/locomotive-driver) in contrast with "lead vocalist".
frontman = Jagger , Plant, David Lee Roth, Morrison, with a nod to Morrisey, Bruce Dickinson, Stephen Tyler, Ronnie Dio.
Lead singer = Plant, Jagger, Mercury, Bono, Ian Gillan, Dickinson

cobain/axl etc just don't have the body of work to be among the elite in this conversation

Last edited:
Jagger is the greatest front man ever but isn't a great muscian. U2 is all about bono. The reason that band can still play football stadiums. I then went with Roger over Plant and Mercury.

Axl is tough but I don't think he did enough to be in this conversation . Same thing with Cobain.

Vedder deserves to be on this list easily over Axl, Cobain and Grohl.

If muscianship counts alot than you need Jimi and Phil Collins. (Unless you count Jimi as solo)

Also IMO Steven Tyler, Tom Petty, Elvis Costello and Neil Young , i understand if for this discussion the latter three are individuals, are better front men then Axl, Cobain and maybe Grohl (btw I love the Foo fighters and can't wait to see them in Sept).....I would take all of them over Morrison who I think is the most overrated front guy ever other than Morrissey of course

Reactions: pandaczar12
And again, during his day, Axl Rose was the biggest rock celebrity in the world. Not sure Grohl has ever been close. Maybe Nirvana/Cobain, but not the Foo Fighters.
Maybe I'm biased because I have lots of friends that are huge Foo Fighters fans but I disagree. In fact, I think during the Nirvana days Grohl was anything but the biggest rock celeb in the world, Cobain got most of the attention. Today, there aren't a lot of hugely successful rock bands with staying power. Grohl is certainly among the most visible rock stars of the current generation. His recent broken leg performances made huge stories on social media including top stories on Reddit, one of the largest websites in the world. Grohl is absolutely a superstar. I'm not arguing he's more or less talented than others on this list, but he is a bonafide rock star in an era that doesn't have many to choose from.

I tried to think of some other rock bands and singers that have been around a while that are still relevant in the "modern" era: Green Day, Muse, Metallica (maybe not so modern anymore), Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Tool, Jack White and Radiohead are a few that come to mind. I don't think I'd put any of their frontmen against your list, but I just mention them to point out some of the competition Grohl is up against, and I think he surpasses them all in terms of celebrity rock star status of the last 15-20 years.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT