ADVERTISEMENT

POLL:Traffic on the board since the changeover.

I think it is somewhat less. I liked the old format better but it's not coming back and while I lament it's demise, I have hopes that most of the long time posters I enjoyed so much will stick around. This new system is tedious, but once we all adjust to it, if that ever happens, I think we can regain the community spirit that seems lacking now.

Reactions: massimoManca II
I don't see how anyone can say the board has less traffic or fewer posts since the changeover.

Some former regular posters haven't been around or have been around less often.......but I think the number of posts are about the same or have increased. As pnnylion, perhaps jokingly, mentioned.....it may be, in part, due to an influx of trolls or those formerly banned.

It is definitely down. Look at the time of the last post as you scan the list of discussion threads. Near the top of the list, you have threads where the last post was submitted an hour ago.

Also, the McQueary thread is up to 279 posts as of this writing, with the same small group of folks contributing. Rarely did a thread garner that many responses before the software change because there were many more threads to grab one's attention.

The above said, I cannot believe that adults have run away over this, especially with all the whining. Yes, it is different than the old Thread View, but it is hardly unmanageable.

It is definitely down. Look at the time of the last post as you scan the list of discussion threads. Near the top of the list, you have threads where the last post was submitted an hour ago.

Also, the McQueary thread is up to 279 posts as of this writing, with the same small group of folks contributing. Rarely did a thread garner that many responses before the software change because there were many more threads to grab one's attention.

The above said, I cannot believe that adults have run away over this, especially with all the whining. Yes, it is different than the old Thread View, but it is hardly unmanageable.

9fold, I've always respected you as a poster but, man, you've become so churlish about people's disappointment with the new format. What's it to you if I don't care for it. It's simply a personal preference. I don't berate folks if they prefer Rye over Scotch...personal preference. I'm familiar with Topic and it doesn't resonate as much with me......so I don't use it as much. I quit BWI early the first morning because I don't want to wade through two sites that disappoint...me. I check in with the TMc board a few times a day because it provides the best coverage of the BoT C/S/S/stuff. Overall, I'm already viewing much less. But, I've never berated Phil or Tom for the move, I just left. Why don't you stop harping on ADULTS like me?

I visit this forum less often now because it is a lot harder for me to peruse. I was a huge fan of thread view because it was easy to quickly scan the threads and responses and who responded to who. It's not user friendly to me now and I may one participate more on other boards instead of coming here. Plus a lot of posters that made things interesting for me have left or post less often. It is what it is. It's too bad. I have been a participant on this board and it's predecessor, the old plotit board, since the mid 90's.

I visit this forum less often now because it is a lot harder for me to peruse. I was a huge fan of thread view because it was easy to quickly scan the threads and responses and who responded to who. It's not user friendly to me now and I may one participate more on other boards instead of coming here. Plus a lot of posters that made things interesting for me have left or post less often. It is what it is. It's too bad. I have been a participant on this board and it's predecessor, the old plotit board, since the mid 90's.

^^^^^This!!!!!^^^^^^

What other PSU Football boards offer thread View? I don't know of any
Pretty sure the answer is "none." Which of course, might have been something to think about before rivals made its product exactly like everyone else's. I do not oppose these changes, but I am very afraid they have "fixed" something that was not broken, and fixed it good.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Pretty sure the answer is "none." Which of course, might have been something to think about before rivals made its product exactly like everyone else's. I do not oppose these changes, but I am very afraid they have "fixed" something that was not broken, and fixed it good.
Could very well be true - I never thought of it like that. Having a feature that is unique is usually a valuable proposition, no?

9fold, I've always respected you as a poster but, man, you've become so churlish about people's disappointment with the new format. What's it to you if I don't care for it. It's simply a personal preference. I don't berate folks if they prefer Rye over Scotch...personal preference. I'm familiar with Topic and it doesn't resonate as much with me......so I don't use it as much. I quit BWI early the first morning because I don't want to wade through two sites that disappoint...me. I check in with the TMc board a few times a day because it provides the best coverage of the BoT C/S/S/stuff. Overall, I'm already viewing much less. But, I've never berated Phil or Tom for the move, I just left. Why don't you stop harping on ADULTS like me?

Whatever, dude. People were whining about the change like spoiled brats before I said a word. It went way beyond a mere preference. The minute the change went into effect, people were threatening to leave like the change was such a hardship. Ridiculous.

@demlion the board has some features that some may not be aware of yet, that can be handy tools once you get the hand or them...

I don't see how anyone can say the board has less traffic or fewer posts since the changeover.

Some former regular posters haven't been around or have been around less often.......but I think the number of posts are about the same or have increased. As pnnylion, perhaps jokingly, mentioned.....it may be, in part, due to an influx of trolls or those formerly banned.
LOL

Whatever, dude. People were whining about the change like spoiled brats before I said a word. It went way beyond a mere preference. The minute the change went into effect, people were threatening to leave like the change was such a hardship. Ridiculous.
Boy, you just don't let go, do you dude? I didn't see anyone say it was a hardship. And, do note, dude, that readership is down on both boards. Its about preference, not spoiled brats, dude. pffftttt

Reactions: furfoot
@demlion the board has some features that some may not be aware of yet, that can be handy tools once you get the hand or them...
I will happily admit that it will take me a while to figure out the more convenient features of the new format....Problem is, you have to have something to say, and if the traffic stays at this level pretty soon people won't.

Same here. While at work I typically darted on and off the board during the day. Could visually survey and determine what was interesting in seconds, and then decide whether to read or not. Now it takes considerably longer, so, as a result, my use and interest will dwindle over time. That's not to say that the change is better or neutral for the majority of subscribers.

The fact that there are less than 150 vote on a poll like this that was posted at midafternoon yesterday is a good clue to the correct answer.

I disagree with this. I think a lot of posters don't have a good feel for the traffic on this board (I don't) and it is far too early for this poll. Two months from now there may be a whole lot more posters and posts or a whole lot less. Posters need to get familiar with the features before making a judgment.

I am certainly not participating in the poll because my guess (and that is what it would be) would be meaningless and it is too early.

I like the features and find them to be time savers.

Reactions: fairgambit
Hard to gauge since the change happened around the same time as the Blue-White game. There is likely more traffic around the weeks before/after the game which drops back to whatever is typical for off-season.

Well, I'm only a visitor with no stake in the game.....but I think the benefits/drawbacks of the change (and the likely increase/decrease in traffic) hinge on what you valued on this board. For folks like myself - who viewed this board as a place to "engage", and to have "conversations".....this new format is God-Awful. Its really impossible to have a topic introduced, and then have posters take it in any number of conversational directions. It seems that folks who are more in tune with the technology options are the ones that see the virtues....but that was never an issue for me. Maybe those features will attract/retain more folks who prioritize that stuff.

Topic view may be a blessing once the season starts. I can automatically see which threads are going to include a bunch of cyberspace experts telling me how stupid Franklin is and how smart they are.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I disagree with this. I think a lot of posters don't have a good feel for the traffic on this board (I don't) and it is far too early for this poll. Two months from now there may be a whole lot more posters and posts or a whole lot less. Posters need to get familiar with the features before making a judgment.

I am certainly not participating in the poll because my guess (and that is what it would be) would be meaningless and it is too early.

I like the features and find them to be time savers.

You said ..."Two months from now there may be a whole lot more posters, and posts, or a whole lot less". I personally feel that it's going to be a whole lot less. Why?....because one by one posters are leaving. I am close to leaving. Before the "upgrade" the first thing I would do everyday was sign
on and come to this board. Not so much anymore. This is no longer the first place I go. I decided
when the change happened I would give the new board 1 month of break in time. I didn't like it day one. If on day 30 I still don't like it, I'm gone. No sense shelling out good money for something you
don't like. Hopefully, I will like it by then.

You said ..."Two months from now there may be a whole lot more posters, and posts, or a whole lot less". I personally feel that it's going to be a whole lot less. Why?....because one by one posters are leaving. I am close to leaving. Before the "upgrade" the first thing I would do everyday was sign
on and come to this board. Not so much anymore. This is no longer the first place I go. I decided
when the change happened I would give the new board 1 month of break in time. I didn't like it day one. If on day 30 I still don't like it, I'm gone. No sense shelling out good money for something you
don't like. Hopefully, I will like it by then.
This is my concern. It is obvious to me that a number of posters who I have enjoyed through the years have either left, or cut way back on their posts. I certainly find this regrettable and I hope they will miss the Board and return. I do hope you will stick around ML. You mentioned shelling out good money and so you are obviously on the Premium Board, but you can stay here for free.

Change is inevitable.....but change doesn't automatically mean it's an improvement or a better product. Way way too often I've seen change without asking customers for their opinion, thoughts or feedback.

Personally, with today's technology, they could easily have continued a parallel thread view. There are certainly some advantages with the new format, but these changes could easily have been WOVEN into THREAD view and enhanced that product, too.

This Board is much much more impersonal than the prior Board.....and that's sad. I know my level of interest and enthusiasm for visiting / posting / playing / laughing on a day-to-day level has taken a major hit. "They" say time heals all wounds.....but sometimes the wounds are too severe or get infected and people just die off.....

I personally have been coming less often. I can't speak for other users but Alexa tracks site hits and popularity. Over time, this will give a data driven view of the traffic. This surely doesn't tell the whole story since it's a free web tool, but it's better than an informal poll.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/http://bwi.forums.rivals.com
Probably the smartest thing that Rivals did with regards to the change was to do it during slowest part of the year. I will give them due credit for that part of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT