ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Does this new format svck?

It is far too early for this poll. The board should be used for several weeks such that it's features are understood. Right now posters are just getting familiar with it. First impressions on most changes are uncomfortable to most.

Too early to tell. I normally get salty at first when there is a technology upgrade but then it grows on me and I start to like it.

Reactions: psuguy04
POLL: Does this new format suck?

Of course it does. But so does 99% of everything else that is already popular that brainiacs try to "improve". As they say. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Penn State Rivals Board was my favorite message board because it was so easy to navigate and use. Before, I would turn it on, be able to scan the topics on the first page usually in one glance, and decide what I wanted to spend my free 5 to 10 minutes on. Now, the page just explodes out at me and it seems all the topics are jumbled together in such a helter skelter manor, that I just decide to move on.

Will I still use it? Sure, but maybe not as much. The more difficult you make something, the easier it is to just move on to another board somewhere. Will I get used to it? Probably, but like I said, everything else being equal, I am drawn to the message board of least resistance. Will I like it as much? Heck no.

Now since I don't have the time right now to do the research for myself, could someone put up a link that explains to all of us how to post a proper poll in this new format? Thanks.

Reactions: T J and N&B4PSU
No, you're the one whining about it.

The board, as it was, used poor technology and lacked numerous features. It crashed badly and often recently. I don't know how you can even believe it wasn't broken.

It's not going to change, and this format is here to stay on this (and numerous other websites) site. It's not difficult to do things. But, for some, like you.....it's difficult to learn new things.

No, you're the one whining about it.

The board, as it was, used poor technology and lacked numerous features. It crashed badly and often recently. I don't know how you can even believe it wasn't broken.

It's not going to change, and this format is here to stay on this (and numerous other websites) site. It's not difficult to do things. But, for some, like you.....it's difficult to learn new things.

Great!!! Now give us that outstanding new link that explains to all us mentally challenged individuals how we can post a proper poll. Since this site is so great, I'm sure it won't take you much time at all.

Great!!! Now give us that outstanding new link that explains to all us mentally challenged individuals how we can post a proper poll. Since this site is so great, I'm sure it won't take you much time at all.

You asked for it, genius.

Click post new thread, and scroll down. The scroll bar is your friend--it's even easier to post a poll now. If you can't figure it out from there, you shouldn't be using a message board.

The only people who don't like it are the thread view dinosaurs. They will adapt or die.

You asked for it, genius.

Click post new thread, and scroll down. The scroll bar is your friend--it's even easier to post a poll now. If you can't figure it out from there, you shouldn't be using a message board.

Thanks. Like I said. Didn't feel like wasting my time looking for it. When you gave me that first smart a$$ reply without answering my question, I knew you hadn't yet researched it either. Now that you had to run and find it, we all know. Good job.

No actually, I figured it out yesterday. The scroll bar is your friend. I did have to re-look though.

Instead of bitching that something changed....how about using common sense and looking around? Don't be scared. You might find that you like it even better.

i (perhaps wrongly) assume that some collective at the controls has a grasp on how many people are actively on the board and how long... that there's an average number of threads and responses and views that has allowed for statistical analysis of how effective the board has been. in about a month or so, they'll have a new sample to work with, and i'd wager they'll find all those numbers are down.

it will be interesting to see how things go when the season begins -- the real acid test. this change seems to have brought a lot of new (and likely younger) faces to the board while in large part pi$$ing off the older contingent who will opt to do other things with their time. frankly, i'm not so sure that wasn't part of the plan.

and since the "older" contingent is the one that is most vocal about the BOT/JVP/Freeh... well, we'll see how it sorts out.

as i said yesterday, i understand the new format has all kinds of wonderful new features... but this board was always just about simplicity and ease of getting to and from with as little effort as possible. in a hectic world where time is short, the last thing i need to do is to spend more time to get the same result.

imo, this isn't that far off from the common core "education" approach which emphasizes investing a ton more time and explanation over a simple end result. and as with common core, if the end result is not accurate, no one in charge cares because it's about the process, not the end result (iow, 4x3=11 is ok so long as you explain how you got there).

Reactions: T J
So now we're attempting to correlate the Rivals changeover to the PSU Scandal?

Good grief, that's a Freeh-like leap, even to mention it in the same context.

And, I disagree that the board was always about simplicity and ease of use. Thread view sucked, and was extremely cumbersome.

I have to ask -- does everyone who hates the new format understand that if you click the blue dot to the left of the topic title your browser will skip ahead to the first post that you haven't read yet?

So now we're attempting to correlate the Rivals changeover to the PSU Scandal?

Good grief, that's a Freeh-like leap, even to mention it in the same context.

And, I disagree that the board was always about simplicity and ease of use. Thread view sucked, and was extremely cumbersome.

of course it's a helluva leap.. but it's simply one of those logic fallacies (just because A happened and B resulted doesn't mean A was intentionally designed to create B.. sh!t sometimes just happens).

do i think rivals thought it up that way? no. but the outcome might well be favorable to the move on crowd. did rivals create that outcome? nope. but did it happen? time will tell.

what i can tell you is that the whole BOT/JVP/Freeh scenario has gained traction and become a staple of the board in large part due to the ease of seeing the involvement of people on thread view. when you do it as a topic, the impact is negated when you see a topic thread and the number of replies... as opposed to a slew of replies (many from people who opinion you respect -- agree or not) that visually jump out at you.

this new format does have features that -- for the person who has time on their hands to work it -- really do work. i don't have that kind of time anymore.

of course it's a helluva leap.. but it's simply one of those logic fallacies (just because A happened and B resulted doesn't mean A was intentionally designed to create B.. sh!t sometimes just happens).

do i think rivals thought it up that way? no. but the outcome might well be favorable to the move on crowd. did rivals create that outcome? nope. but did it happen? time will tell.

what i can tell you is that the whole BOT/JVP/Freeh scenario has gained traction and become a staple of the board in large part due to the ease of seeing the involvement of people on thread view. when you do it as a topic, the impact is negated when you see a topic thread and the number of replies... as opposed to a slew of replies (many from people who opinion you respect -- agree or not) that visually jump out at you.

this new format does have features that -- for the person who has time on their hands to work it -- really do work. i don't have that kind of time anymore.

So now we're attributing the anti-narrative nature of this board to thread view?

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've seen about the switch yet.

It's got everything to do with the constituents of this board, and nothing to do with thread view.

Total waste of space and time. Now you have to scroll through the whole post to see if there are any responses that you want to read(by certain favored posters). Bring back a thread view, at least we had a choice which way we wanted to read posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT