ADVERTISEMENT

***PODCAST: Penn State DOES NOT benefit from the B1G adding two***

I thought it was putting more money in the pockets of all the fans on this board based on how erect everyone here got over it.

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
Agree or disagree, it's a preemptive move. If the SEC gets them, what is said? What happens next contract?
the sec gets so much more money in that scenario that the big ten schools all have no choice but to shut down their athletic departments?

The sec is totally ****ed now that the BIG beat them to the punch until they can take Clemson and fsu in over a decade I guess. Looking forward to no sec titles until then because they’re just not making enough money to win them.

I thought it was putting more money in the pockets of all the fans on this board based on how erect everyone here got over it.
Respectfully, you are playing checkers and the B2G is playing chess. I'm not taking a position on what should happen or what is bad, but this is the long game, about surviving and flourishing for decades, not what is better/higher net income today.

Reactions: Obliviax
Respectfully, you are playing checkers and the B2G is playing chess. I'm not taking a position on what should happen or what is bad, but this is the long game, about surviving and flourishing for decades, not what is better/higher net income today.

Respectfully, I’m not playing anything. I actually don’t really mind. I disliked the big ten. If everyone’s in a conference no one’s in a conference.

That said, you have no idea what the college sports landscape will look like decades from now, respectfully.

Reactions: 19333lion
Respectfully, I’m not playing anything. I actually don’t really mind. I disliked the big ten. If everyone’s in a conference no one’s in a conference.

That said, you have no idea what the college sports landscape will look like decades from now, respectfully.
The BIG plucked the four biggest football brands on the west coast. They basically trimmed the fat off of the PAC 10. This round of expansion was the best for the BIG since they added Penn State. Now we can truly have competitive east west divisions.

Well- I've got 3 cousins who were raised and still live in Seattle. Two are Huskies, one is Wazzu. I have only been to the Emerald City once- but have put seeing a game @UW and tailgating on a boat on my bucket list. One cousin has 50byd line seasons, and I ad a game ticket and plane ticket for Michigan at UW 2020 but Covid killed that. To see PSU at Husky Stadium and then host them here would be fun for me. I don't care about all the rest...I LOVE PSU, but college sports is a runaway train that I'm losing patoence with....

Well- I've got 3 cousins who were raised and still live in Seattle. Two are Huskies, one is Wazzu. I have only been to the Emerald City once- but have put seeing a game @UW and tailgating on a boat on my bucket list. One cousin has 50byd line seasons, and I ad a game ticket and plane ticket for Michigan at UW 2020 but Covid killed that. To see PSU at Husky Stadium and then host them here would be fun for me. I don't care about all the rest...I LOVE PSU, but college sports is a runaway train that I'm losing patoence with....
I don’t think much will change in terms of fan experience other than an occasional game on the west coast. I am willing to bet we play the same cast of characters but sprinkle in one of the four each year. Things will be different for them, however, like a big ten championship game in Indy. (However, it could be at the rose, coliseum of Sofi now that the conference will have a place that isn’t affected by winter weather)

Yeah seeing the Nits in Husky stadium in their road whites while taking a boat to the game is on my bucket list! Beats the hell out of Champaign, Illinois or Rutgers, etc.

Yeah seeing the Nits in Husky stadium in their road whites while taking a boat to the game is on my bucket list! Beats the hell out of Champaign, Illinois or Rutgers, etc.
The boat thing has been a goal since I was a kid and watched Navy upset UW on tv and they showed the tailgate scene. We had fun with the Fiesta Bowl game a few years ago...really looking forward.

Me and my PSU buddies are heading to Knoxville for UT vs Texas A&M this October. Vol Navy awaits our arrival...they just don't know it yet!

A friend of my college roomate is a sports talk host in Knoxville...I'm sure that at least one beer on a boat can he arranged!

I have 3 cousins in LA too so that woukd ge fun. One went to USC Law but he doesn't care about sports. I hope to make those 2 trips at some point. I'd have to be retired with more flexibility to go to Eugene.

This is the fun side of the PAC 8/10/12 imploding

The BIG plucked the four biggest football brands on the west coast. They basically trimmed the fat off of the PAC 10. This round of expansion was the best for the BIG since they added Penn State. Now we can truly have competitive east west divisions.

Doesn't benefit us more than the no divisions format would have.

It’s definitely worth the trip. We went out for a UDub game a few years ago and took a boat to the game. Such a change getting to and from a game so quickly compared to the Beav. ;)

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Road trips to Pasadena, Eugene, and Seattle will be fun. Bring your Kevlar vests for USC. ;). They’ll be some new interesting games- better than Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois, etc. I just hope the scheduling is set up correctly so that it’s not too long between games with the west coasters.

The boat thing has been a goal since I was a kid and watched Navy upset UW on tv and they showed the tailgate scene. We had fun with the Fiesta Bowl game a few years ago...really looking forward.

Me and my PSU buddies are heading to Knoxville for UT vs Texas A&M this October. Vol Navy awaits our arrival...they just don't know it yet!

A friend of my college roomate is a sports talk host in Knoxville...I'm sure that at least one beer on a boat can he arranged!

I have 3 cousins in LA too so that woukd ge fun. One went to USC Law but he doesn't care about sports. I hope to make those 2 trips at some point. I'd have to be retired with more flexibility to go to Eugene.

This is the fun side of the PAC 8/10/12 imploding
I forgot about Neyland having the Tennessee river by it. That will be a fun game and you don't need to be that nervous since PSU isn't playing in it!

I have been to one game in Neyland as a little kid in 1972. Dad took the fam there to watch PSU play Tenn., a loss unfortunately.

I live near LA so super excited to see Penn State come out here on a regular basis.

This is one of the oddities for me as well. I don't really understand the celebration over having a good media contract. As fans, why should we care? It's not like the universities are going to stop gouging us for tickets and in stadium amenities, or stop asking for donations because now they are getting an additional $10M+ per season from the media companies. All I care about is the stability of the Big 10, the money means very little and isn't a flex over the other conferences. If anything I don't like that it's tearing apart the other conferences and is a net negative for the sport as a whole IMO. I hate that the conferences are in the pocket of these multi billion media companies. The schools have lost power to make their own decisions and they did it to themselves by being overly greedy.

Last edited:
Road trips to Pasadena, Eugene, and Seattle will be fun. Bring your Kevlar vests for USC. ;). They’ll be some new interesting games- better than Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois, etc. I just hope the scheduling is set up correctly so that it’s not too long between games with the west coasters.
I hear ya re USC. My son visited there 3 times during the college admissions process but went elsewhere. He then rented a room in a fraternity for a Summer internship in LA so he got to see U City from inside.

The campus is ironclad. They market that "there are no issues" but then why do they have football player sized security guards walking around in pairs wearing matching Nikes, Khakis,Ray Bans and SC polo shirts?

We and he never had any issues...but it wasn't a gameday either. So Cal has awesome traditions. Saw them twice in State College and once at Giants Stadium. They supposedly all touch the Tommy Trojan statue and hit a pole on the edge of campus on the way to the Stadium for good luck.

Can't wait!

Reactions: psu00
I like the variety in our scheduling that this offers. Essentially, we're trading a conference game with Minnesota or Indiana for one with Oregon or UCLA. And even our new "rivals"...MSU, Maryland, and Rutgers...I don't need to play them every year either.

The league showed us with the former 2024 schedule release that they get it. Protect the necessary rivalries...and then go for exciting matchups and variety in the schedule. That's what we want.

You'll note, I made no pronouncements because you are correct, I have no idea. Only one of us was passing judgement as if they believed they knew something. There is no doubt that being in the B2G has a better chance of success and longevity than any other conference at this point. There is reason for positivity for being in the B2G vs the ACC or PACx or even the Big12. The B2G and SEC are not making decisions based on this year or this TV contract. They are making decisions that they believe position the conference for the next 25-50 years.

You'll note, I made no pronouncements because you are correct, I have no idea. Only one of us was passing judgement as if they believed they knew something. There is no doubt that being in the B2G has a better chance of success and longevity than any other conference at this point. There is reason for positivity for being in the B2G vs the ACC or PACx or even the Big12. The B2G and SEC are not making decisions based on this year or this TV contract. They are making decisions that they believe position the conference for the next 25-50 years.

Respectfully also something you don't know unless you're in the room... respectfully.

This is one of the oddities for me as well. I don't really understand the celebration over having a good media contract. As fans, why should we care? It's not like the universities are going to stop gouging us for tickets and in stadium amenities, or stop asking for donations because now they are getting an additional $10M+ per season from the media companies. All I care about is the stability of the Big 10, the money means very little and isn't a flex over the other conferences. If anything I don't like that it's tearing about the other conferences and is a net negative for the sport as a whole IMO. I hate that the conferences are in the pocket of these multi billion media companies. The schools have lost power to make their own decisions and they did it to themselves by being overly greedy.
Well Penn State is in the Big Ten so more money for Penn State is a good thing. Does the fact that a richer media contract is imminent mean we are definitely beating OSU or ticket prices are going to drop or they will never ask for a donation, No.

As for regionality versus a more national conference, I guess it is whatever your preference is. I like opening up new areas and having new opponents like Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA. It broadens the Penn State brand. But I can see if you like the regional conferences too. There is something special to regional rivalries and I always loved the Penn State vs Pitt rivalry, for example.

I forgot about Neyland having the Tennessee river by it. That will be a fun game and you don't need to be that nervous since PSU isn't playing in it!

I have been to one game in Neyland as a little kid in 1972. Dad took the fam there to watch PSU play Tenn., a loss unfortunately.

I live near LA so super excited to see Penn State come out here on a regular basis.
Here is a neat backstory that I found about the game you attended when researching for our trip:

Enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT