ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's new AD's 1st phone call to Barbour?

I'd be ok playing Pitt 2 out of every 10 years after this upcoming series wraps up. With the B1G going to 9 conference games and only having 3 OOC slots to fill each year, handcuffing to playing Pitt every year is stupid.

In reality, not playing this game has had almost zero impact on both schools. PSU will like to say Pitt needs them, but Pitt stunk in the last 3 decades of the rivalry save for 4 year span in mid 70s/early 80s. One might actually argue the best years Pitt has enjoyed since Dan Marino were when PSU was not on the schedule..and it's not like Pitt was any major threat to PSU recruiting even over that time.

Has not playing Pitt in 15 years really had any real impact on PSU...at all? No.

I wish she would, but numbers like those are too complicated for her.

She's going to have to learn the numbers and quickly. PSU just can't give Pitt a 1-1 series once a 9 game conference schedule starts without throwing away the ability to schedule any other teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, etc.

Reactions: Nittany Avenger
Pitt also needs money, badly. Having a big name like Penn State go to their stadium enables them to sell 3 game "packages" in order for PSU fans to buy tickets. Also they will get season ticket holders for their own games. They won't go to the games, but they'll scalp the penn state game and attempt (lol) to sell the rest. This is why you see pitt tickets for $1.00 on stubhub (and that's not a joke).

How about a home and neutral site deal like Alabama and Auburn used to have... One year in State College and the next year in Pittsburgh, but the ticket sales are 50/50 Pitt/PSU.

It's flattering to know the most important thing on the mind of the Pitt AD is Penn State. I would think his first call would have been to Pitt boosters in order to shore up fan support.

Ehhhhh. Cut him some slack. He knows the quickest way to increase revenues is to play PSU at Heinz so the Penn State fans sell out the building (and are forced to buy 1-2 other Pitt games in order to get PSU tickets).

He could spend hours personally calling the 20 members of the Pitt fan club and not get anywhere near the money that the PSU fans would give him. ;).

What's even more funny than his focus on PSU (and kind of sidetracking WVU- can't play both 1-1 each year) is that he wanted to make sure all the Pitt fans knew this was his first phone call. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: simons96
"He could spend hours personally calling the 20 members of the Pitt fan club and not get anywhere the money that the PSU fans would give him."

You guys are cracking me up...thanks for the laughs.

Now, more than ever, the athletic department needs the funds which can only be gleaned from a 2 for 1 deal with schools like Pitt. If they say no to that we have no choice other than to move on to the next school.

Ehhhhh. Cut him some slack. He knows the quickest way to increase revenues is to play PSU at Heinz so the Penn State fans sell out the building (and are forced to buy 1-2 other Pitt games in order to get PSU tickets).

He could spend hours personally calling the 20 members of the Pitt fan club and not get anywhere near the money that the PSU fans would give him. ;).

What's even more funny than his focus on PSU (and kind of sidetracking WVU- can't play both 1-1 each year) is that he wanted to make sure all the Pitt fans knew this was his first phone call. ;)

20? 20? Your typing is sloppy, a few minutes ago I pointed out there were 2.....2, not 20!

Reactions: 91Joe95
20? 20? Your typing is sloppy, a few minutes ago I pointed out there were 2.....2, not 20!

I'm sure there's some good marketing folks here that could do wonders with this admission.

The Pitt ADs first action was to call PSU so his team could play them once a year......... and he was desperate for the media to let Pitt fans know it was his first call and more important than WVU. Time to tell recruits in western PA that they don't need to hope on the Pitt AD. Come to PSU and play where the action is at every game rather than hoping the Pitt AD can get you that opportunity for 1 game a year (before playing in front of thousands of empty yellow seats the rest of the year). ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: john4psu
Pitt also needs money, badly. Having a big name like Penn State go to their stadium enables them to sell 3 game "packages" in order for PSU fans to buy tickets. Also they will get season ticket holders for their own games. They won't go to the games, but they'll scalp the penn state game and attempt (lol) to sell the rest. This is why you see pitt tickets for $1.00 on stubhub (and that's not a joke).
Yeah, when we played there I was like WTF? I have to buy 3 games???

Yeah, when we played there I was like WTF? I have to buy 3 games???

I was at that game. The Utes had a decent turn out given the distance and 3 game ticket scam.

Sandy needs to make it crystal clear to the Pitt AD- if you start charging PSU fans for 3 games to get the PSU vs Pitt game then you can forget any further games in Pittsburgh.

Sandy should say, look, we have to play Rutgers every year. They took your spot. We wish it wasn't so but we can't even declare a stripe out with them and have our fans accept it. They chose a freak'n white out on Thanksgiving instead of Rutgers in Sept. No matter how vicious you guys can be, you just don't have the numbers to measure up. We can sell more tickets to tours of the Lasch showers to Rutgers fans than you can send to our stadium! The Rutgers fools are lining up to buy chances in a scavenger hunt to find Joe's statue in September and we don't even know if it hasn't been melted down and used for the plaque on the Rodney Erickson building! Blame Rutgers and Delany. It's the biggest game for BTN every season. They even have a poll on which AD is going to apologize first.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Sandy should say, look, we have to play Rutgers every year. They took your spot. We wish it wasn't so but we can't even declare a stripe out with them and have our fans accept it. They chose a freak'n white out on Thanksgiving instead of Rutgers in Sept. No matter how vicious you guys can be, you just don't have the numbers to measure up. We can sell more tickets to tours of the Lasch showers to Rutgers fans than you can send to our stadium! The Rutgers fools are lining up to buy chances in a scavenger hunt to find Joe's statue in September and we don't even know if it hasn't been melted down and used for the plaque on the Rodney Erickson building! Blame Rutgers.

No idea what any of this post means. I'm thinking vodka may have been involved.

Well I would hope this would become a reality. With the world fixed on making money at all costs this probably won't. Good for the Pitt AD. I hope this will become a reality. I like our AD so far but I think her hands might be tied. The easiest way this could happen would be if Pitt would be offered an invitation to join the Big Ten. This would be great for Pa. Football.

Got to love the comment section below the article. Really? One fan chimes in that Pitt should only schedule respectable schools not ones that enable child molesters. Please, get over yourself.

I'm so sick of the old story how Joe did not want to have an Eastern Conference... PSU is probably in the B1G because he couldn't get anyone to drive this conference forward. The excuse by other schools was our basketball program. IMHO I think the real issue was not wanting to sign up for a football league that would be heavily dominated by PSU much like the B1G is dominated by OSU and now MSU. Oh well that's in the past.

Pitt does not have a stadium for us to go to.

She's going to have to learn the numbers and quickly. PSU just can't give Pitt a 1-1 series once a 9 game conference schedule starts without throwing away the ability to schedule any other teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, etc.
Yes, having a 9 game conference schedule does put limits on you, we are in the same boat with BYU. I would much rather have more games like the home and home with Michigan instead...

Reactions: psu00
Cant be done on a yearly basis once the 9 game B1G schedule starts. There is room for one marquee out of conference opponent, which will be rotated on a two year home and home basis. The other out of conference games will be home games in order to guarantee 7 home games every year.

I grew up watching this series, but frankly it only mattered nationally for about an 8 year period from 1976 to 1983. The importance of the series before and after that period has been greatly exaggerated. It was a rivalry game in the western half of the state, but the eastern half of the state wasnt nearly as interested in it.

Reactions: john4psu and psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT