ADVERTISEMENT

Philly fans, which pro team will be first to win a championship? None look great today!

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Phillies, Eagles, Sixers or Flyers? I am from Philly, but have lived elsewhere since 1975. I need something to cheer about again, but in the interim, I won't hold my breath!

Well, sorry to say the Eagles "look" like the best shot right now. A very small shot :)
Sixers, not idea of what they are doing. Phillies, 2-3 years away. Flyers - totally clueless.
Really, your best bet if a Philadelphia Fan is Villanova BB :)

Too bad the Wings left town. They were always a contender.

Flyers, because parity is built in to the league. Puck luck also plays a role if you can just get into the playoffs. Getting in to the playoffs is the huge challenge for the Flyers, however. One would think it is easier in football because you only have to win 9 or 10 games to get into the post season. Unfortunately Kelly is a madman and Lurie never likes to spend up to the Cap.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I see you used the words "pro team", and I suspect that the wording was deliberate. Based upon what I've read here the past few days about the "quality" of the Temple football team, had you not limited it to pro teams, I would have said "Temple".;)

I'm from Philly but live in Columbus now. No pro team to root for in two states. Thank God for Penn State!

Birds and flyers. Sixers down the road. Phillies once Middleton exerts his power.

All have plans forming around big personalities. Birds-chip, flyers-hextall, sixers-hinkie, Phillies-Middleton. It at least makes each interesting

Flyers (leauge parity, 3 years away), Eagles (boom or bust next 2-3 years) , Phillies/Sixers no where close. Nova always has a shot but flames out in tourney recently. Still getting 5 star recruits though.

Reactions: Nittany Security
Given those four choices, I would say the Phillies. But not for another 15-20 years. I've lived my whole life in the suburbs of Philly and if the past 50+ years have taught me anything about our pro teams it is that they struggle to win the "big game/series". In the history of these pro franchises, their records in the championship game/series:

Phillies: 2-5
Eagles: 3-3
Sixers: 3-6
Flyers: 2-6

Now if you only count the years that I've been alive to see (last year won):

Phillies: 2-3 (2008)
Eagles: 0-2
Sixers: 2-4 (1983)
Flyers: 2-6 (1975)

If you look at the decades, the championships look like this:

60s: 1
70s: 2
80s: 2
90s: 0
00s: 1
10s: 0

So based on past performance, the Phillies should win the World Series some time in the 2030s!

Last edited:
I really think most of the Phila pro teams will be better in the next 2-3 years. Eagles (assuming the QB stays healthy) will be good this year and even better next year. Phillies will "buy" a lot of younger talent and be relevant in 1-2 years. The 76ers will be better this year and MUCH better next year. They will be playoff ready in 1-2 years. The Flyers, who the heck knows? They spend money like crazy yet never seem to get the right mix of players. How do you not make the playoffs in Hockey? But give Hextall a shot (Clarke, Holmgren) ?
Just a bit unusual when all of the teams are not very good (Eagles have been OK). PLUS the Eagles "might" surprise this year. They are pretty good "on paper".

I really think most of the Phila pro teams will be better in the next 2-3 years. Eagles (assuming the QB stays healthy) will be good this year and even better next year. Phillies will "buy" a lot of younger talent and be relevant in 1-2 years. The 76ers will be better this year and MUCH better next year. They will be playoff ready in 1-2 years. The Flyers, who the heck knows? They spend money like crazy yet never seem to get the right mix of players. How do you not make the playoffs in Hockey? But give Hextall a shot (Clarke, Holmgren) ?
Just a bit unusual when all of the teams are not very good (Eagles have been OK). PLUS the Eagles "might" surprise this year. They are pretty good "on paper".
I think you are being optimistic on your assessments.

Philly.......Columbus.......

Split the difference....and JUMP ON THE BUCCO BANDWAGON!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I use to walk by the Stargell star at the Vet and wonder how in the He!! did he hit the balll that far. But I could never be a Pirates fan? I have been a Phillies fan for 40 years eck!.

joeparules if you were alive to see the Flyers win in 75, you were alive for 5 trips to the WS for the Phillies, 80, 83, 93, 08 and 09. You are 2-for-5 with the Phillies in your lifetime, as I am. The organization is 2-for-7.

Phillies, Eagles, Sixers or Flyers? I am from Philly, but have lived elsewhere since 1975. I need something to cheer about again, but in the interim, I won't hold my breath!

A couple of years ago, I would have told you the Union would have a great shot to win the MLS. But the management of the club since they made the playoffs a few seasons back has been absolutely embarrassing.

Regardless, for any of you (even non-soccer fans) who haven't yet seen a game at PPL Park, it's definitely worth it. The best tailgating of all of the Philly teams, great fans, great atmosphere and a really cool stadium, even though ownership messed up by building down in Chester. There was a proposal on the table to build it up near Fishtown/Kensington, which would have been great.

I think you are being optimistic on your assessments.

Maybe, but I don't think so. Eagles (QB health), Phillies (BIG market team $$$), 76ers have run out of drafting for the future because of Okafor (he will win games for them this year), Flyers (maybe Hextall knows what to do).

As I think of it my "projections" are very realistic.

ADVERTISEMENT