ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs. Pitt for our season opener every year?

The only way we could play armPITT is if armPITT is willing to schedule 2-for-1 for the duration of the series. With only 3 OOC games once b1g Turd goes to 9 game schedules, there is no way PSU could exclusively play armPITT on their one remaining 1-for-1 series opening. Honestly, I don't see why armPITT wouldn't go for it as they likely make more $$$ playing @PSU given the revenue share than they do playing @home (e.g., rent a stadium) given their attendance levels.

The only way we could play armPITT is if armPITT is willing to schedule 2-for-1 for the duration of the series. With only 3 OOC games once b1g Turd goes to 9 game schedules, there is no way PSU could exclusively play armPITT on their one remaining 1-for-1 series opening. Honestly, I don't see why armPITT wouldn't go for it as they likely make more $$$ playing @PSU given the revenue share than they do playing @home (e.g., rent a stadium) given their attendance levels.
As low the attendance can be for lesser games, the game against Penn St at Pitt will be sold out, just as the ND and WVU games are. The Steelers are the main game in Pittsburgh, but fans show up for the big games, and will support a big winner. A few years back, when Pitt won 10 games, they sold out Cincinnati the last game with the BCS on the line. Pitt will never draw like Penn St, that is a given, but if they can avg 50,000, which they did that year, in a pro city, they will rank near the top of similar urban schools. Their attendance levels have nothing to do with the Penn St series in Pittsburgh.

As low the attendance can be for lesser games, the game against Penn St at Pitt will be sold out, just as the ND and WVU games are. The Steelers are the main game in Pittsburgh, but fans show up for the big games, and will support a big winner. A few years back, when Pitt won 10 games, they sold out Cincinnati the last game with the BCS on the line. Pitt will never draw like Penn St, that is a given, but if they can avg 50,000, which they did that year, in a pro city, they will rank near the top of similar urban schools. Their attendance levels have nothing to do with the Penn St series in Pittsburgh.

Yes they do, because the only reason an armPITT - PSU game would sell out at "Rent-a-Stadium" is because of PSU fans (e.g, there would probably be more PSU fans at Rent-a-Stadium in Pittsburgh). Given that Beaver Stadium has double the capacity of Heinz Field's paltry 65K capacity, it makes zero sense to force PSU fans to fill up a stadium with such an absurdly small capacity. Your nonsense about armPITT fans supporting their team is laughable as they averaged only 40% of Heinz Field's already tiny capacity per game last year! PSU fans filling up armPITT's rented municipal stadium is NOT armPITT fans supporting their team.

Last edited:
Yes they do, because the only reason an armPITT - PSU game would sell out at "Rent-a-Stadium" is because of PSU fans (e.g, there would probably be more PSU fans at Rent-a-Stadium in Pittsburgh. Given that Beaver Stadium has double the capacity of Heinz Field's paltry 65K capacity, it makes zero sense to force PSU fans to fill up a stadium with such an absurdly small capacity. Your nonsense about armPITT fans supporting their team is laughable as they averaged only 40% of Heinz Field's already tiny capacity per game last year! PSU fans filling up armPITT's rented municipal stadium is NOT armPITT fans supporting their team.
Ok. You missed the point, but ok. I just wanted to provide a little info, not inspire defense mechanisms or arguments. If you want a 107k stadium every game, there's not many OOC games you can play that JF will be be happy with.

Last edited:
In recent times, since 1967, the series has been played 15 times in Pittsburgh, and 15 times in State College. That was almost 50 years ago. You can check on this, but I do believe that for a stretch of time, 1903-1965, Penn State wanted to play the games in Pittsburgh, supposedly it being in their best interest. I heard that on a sports talk show awhile ago, and it makes sense as why else would PSU agree to do that? Basically, during the Paterno era, in which PSU was a power most of the time, and the glory days of Pitt that followed shortly after, the games were scheduled to be home and home, either 1 and 1, or 3 and 3. Most likely, the series (after the 4 coming up) will not continue unless it is a 1 and 1 format.

If you think you are above playing Pitt, then fine, request a 2-1. But to justify asking for a 2-1 to make up for games that were played 80 years ago is pretty unreasonable.

I actually agree with this. PSU doesn't "deserve" extra home games because of what was scheduled in the past -- what's done is done and PSU was a willing participant in that setup. The rationale for doing so was reasonable at the time and PSU felt it was fair to cede home field advantage for the benefit of playing games in a larger market (which did have a number of PSU alumni/fans there).

Irony is the fan base that wants to hold on to history when it boasts about made up national championships from 80 years, wants to forget about history when it comes to how many home games PSU is owed.

PSU played those games in Pittsburgh because they had no choice, they wanted the game to happen because they thought they would benefit. Now if Pitt wants to make the game happen, they can man up and make the same decision. But we all know that Pitt would rather complain about not playing PSU, than actually play them.

Irony is the fan base that wants to hold on to history when it boasts about made up national championships from 80 years, wants to forget about history when it comes to how many home games PSU is owed.

PSU played those games in Pittsburgh because they had no choice, they wanted the game to happen because they thought they would benefit. Now if Pitt wants to make the game happen, they can man up and make the same decision. But we all know that Pitt would rather complain about not playing PSU, than actually play them.
A vast majority of Piff fans want to play Penn St. And, from comments from Narduzzi and Barnes, so does the admin. Funny thing, I'll bet if PSU was in same situation, they would say the same things. If fact, you can guarantee most of your fans would.

A vast majority of Piff fans want to play Penn St. And, from comments from Narduzzi and Barnes, so does the admin. Funny thing, I'll bet if PSU was in same situation, they would say the same things. If fact, you can guarantee most of your fans would.

If PSU was in the same situation as Pitt, "most" of our fans would number 5. But, we're not in the same situation as Pitt which is why most of us would rather play a legitimate program as opposed to one that is in the situation that Pitt is in. I don't want us playing Kansas either.

I'm astounded how many people in this thread are completely ignoring the reality of the decision to play pitt or not. It has nothing to do with whether its a rivalry or not and everything to do with the cost to PSU to play them every year. That cost is either giving up all other P5 match ups or $4-8 million per year. If you want to argue that PSU should play Pitt every year, you first have to state unequivocally that you are willing to accept that first and foremost.

I'd like to see the people argue for a yearly series with Pitt to state which option they they are choosing, either sacrificing over $4 million in profits per year or never scheduling any other P5 teams. If you chose the $4 million option, please offer some suggestions to where PSU will recoup that money (e.g which sports are you cutting, which facilities are you neglecting, which coaches salaries are you slashing, etc.). Once you do that, feel free to rant on about how much PSU should play Pitt. It's insanity.

Reactions: m48tank and psu00
Can someone outline how a 2-1 deal would work out? Seems a 3-1 would be needed. PSU needs all 3 OOC games to be home every other year.

I'd like to see at least a setup where we play Pitt 4-6 years out of every 10. I also don't see PSU playing LSU or Alabama anytime soon OOC, so if it means Pitt every year or a rotation of teams like Syracuse, UVA, Boston College, Temple and Cincy, then I'll take Pitt every year. But if they played Pitt 6 years out of ten and then VT, UNC or WVU in the other years, maybe getting a bigger power once a decade, I'd be fine with that. But for those of you who are against playing Pitt, just know that it's not like you're going to see ND, FSU and Georgia on the schedule.

If there was a market for this game, the series never would have stopped.

If PSU was in the same situation as Pitt, "most" of our fans would number 5. But, we're not in the same situation as Pitt which is why most of us would rather play a legitimate program as opposed to one that is in the situation that Pitt is in. I don't want us playing Kansas either.

I liked the suggestion here of playing fsu at the Georgia Dome. Playing a major non-conference game in Dallas would also be attractive. I'd also like to see games like this played up north.

Not with the B1G going to a 9 game conference schedule. If they want to maintain 7 homes games then playing Pitt every year would exclude Penn State playing any other school that would not take a one and done.
Exactly. It would be nine B10 games, Pitt and two home games against cupcakes every year. Boring!!

Reactions: bjf1984 and psu00
NO. And I agree with whoever said cancel the current upcoming series. Phuck Pitt! Worst college football experiences I have ever had were when PSU played Pitt in Pittsburgh. Zero class fans and that was without the Sandusky backdrop. The games there will be miserable, lots of fights, etc. I guarantee it.

Reactions: m48tank and bjf1984

Of course Piff fans want to play Penn State! They know that Piff will never accomplish anything in football other then setting records that no one wants (i.e. worst bowl loss ever) But if Piff can play PSU, they can probably upset PSU every couple of years. That gives them something to cling to... since they can't win anything, they can at least take an occasional game from the school they are so jealous of. Truth is, it would be more human to never play Piff, and let Piff football wither and die, so their fans can do more worthwhile things with their life.

Reactions: m48tank
NO. And I agree with whoever said cancel the current upcoming series. Phuck Pitt! Worst college football experiences I have ever had were when PSU played Pitt in Pittsburgh. Zero class fans and that was without the Sandusky backdrop. The games there will be miserable, lots of fights, etc. I guarantee it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. My wife and I plan to go to the 2016 game in Pittsburgh. We thought about driving our car, laden with PSU stickers, magnets, etc., but either leaving it at the hotel and taking a bus to the stadium or parking it in a decent neighborhood and taking the bus to the stadium. We are not parking our car in the Heinz Field lot. Then we considered whether we would be safe on a bus in our Penn State gear. Granted, there will be a lot of Penn Staters around, but the will be pittiots out in full force. So we likely will rent a car and park in the stadium lot. That way, our car will not be a target, but we will be close to the stadium. Very simply, I do not trust pitt athletic supporters on game day.

Reactions: bjf1984
I liked the suggestion here of playing fsu at the Georgia Dome. Playing a major non-conference game in Dallas would also be attractive. I'd also like to see games like this played up north.

These are the kind of games that would help PSU recruit. I like the idea of playing OOC games in GA and FL or against teams from those areas at PSU.

Not Pitt.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. My wife and I plan to go to the 2016 game in Pittsburgh. We thought about driving our car, laden with PSU stickers, magnets, etc., but either leaving it at the hotel and taking a bus to the stadium or parking it in a decent neighborhood and taking the bus to the stadium. We are not parking our car in the Heinz Field lot. Then we considered whether we would be safe on a bus in our Penn State gear. Granted, there will be a lot of Penn Staters around, but the will be pittiots out in full force. So we likely will rent a car and park in the stadium lot. That way, our car will not be a target, but we will be close to the stadium. Very simply, I do not trust pitt athletic supporters on game day.
Wow. There were some good posts in this thread, but it has gotten outlandish.i would suggest some of you stay home for the games in Pittsburgh if you are afraid. I have gone to games in State College that were crazy, but I took it 'as part of the game'.i've had season tix for 20+ yrs and always tailgate or go to a bar, and the only fights that I have witnessed were with WVU and they were short- lived. I guess we all have had different experiences. In mine, I will never go to WVU again. It is bizarre there. I will cite 2 quotes before I leave. An FSU fan at Bettis's told us that they can't wait to come to Pgh again becaus Pitt fans were welcoming and civil not like some other places.and an OSU fan told a bunch of us after golf in Ohio that he has had crazy experiences at Wisc and Mich, but penn St is downright scary. True stories. So,don't think your feelings about Pgh are unique. Especially after all, you guys say Pitt has few fans and you get 107 k. Who logically would create more crazy experiences?

You've obviously never been to these games. The 1975 game was an absolute street fight ending with PSU prevailing 7-6. The 1980 game was one for the ages for Penn State lore... 48-14... There were 7 Pitt Pro-Bowlers & 3 HoFers on that team...

1976, 1987 & 2000 (the last time played) were Pitt triumphs...

You can continue to look down on Pitt... It's your right... But, I can assure you that both fanbases would love these games... And, Pitt will not be the favorite (unless they played this yr) in 2016-2019... ...based on the talent influx...
I've been a fan since 1962, I don't want to see it happen. I KNOW how my teenage daughters, my wife and I were treated in 2000. No thanks to that again.
Hang onto tha

Wow. There were some good posts in this thread, but it has gotten outlandish.i would suggest some of you stay home for the games in Pittsburgh if you are afraid. I have gone to games in State College that were crazy, but I took it 'as part of the game'.i've had season tix for 20+ yrs and always tailgate or go to a bar, and the only fights that I have witnessed were with WVU and they were short- lived. I guess we all have had different experiences. In mine, I will never go to WVU again. It is bizarre there. I will cite 2 quotes before I leave. An FSU fan at Bettis's told us that they can't wait to come to Pgh again becaus Pitt fans were welcoming and civil not like some other places.and an OSU fan told a bunch of us after golf in Ohio that he has had crazy experiences at Wisc and Mich, but penn St is downright scary. True stories. So,don't think your feelings about Pgh are unique. Especially after all, you guys say Pitt has few fans and you get 107 k. Who logically would create more crazy experiences?
OK Sport. There is a BIG difference between ball busting and the vulgar, nasty, threatening, in your face nonsense my wife, two teenage daughters and I faced in 2000. I will never go back to Pittsburgh for a game again. NEVER!
The only game I ever attended like that one was at Syracuse in 1988. I was with friends that day. It started on the bus ride from SkyTop to the Carrier Dome. An older woman told us that Syracuse was going to kick Penn State's F**king Ass. It only got worse that day. There were fights in the stands all through the game. I had never seen that at a Penn State game before, until Pitt 2000. I've been to Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Maryland and Boston College. Not even Columbus was nearly as bad as Pittsburgh. I say SCREW PITT. I would rather play Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, LSU or Georgia.

Oh yea, that proves it....LMFAO. tO$U fans are going to talk about the atmosphere at football games??? I've been to tO$U for a tO$U - PSU games and "HinnieGate" has to be one of the most ridiculous "non-collegiate" atmosphere's I've ever seen (and I've been to a multitude ofcollege and pro football games at all kinds of different venues). A bunch of dirtball, low-life, mullet-wearing morons yealling, drinking, swearing, etc... - definitely more of a "NFL atmosphere" (as is Heinz Field) especially with all the concrete and asphalt all over the place....bars and commercial buildings close to the stadium, tailgating areas, etc....

Comparing PSU's atmosphere to Downtown Pittsburgh is just beyond moronic (and I lived in Shadyside for many, many years, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about).

Reactions: Judge Smails
These are the kind of games that would help PSU recruit. I like the idea of playing OOC games in GA and FL or against teams from those areas at PSU.

Not Pitt.

Exactly.

"Hey, son. Come to Penn State, and you could play against fsu (or Bama or Oregon or...) in Dallas (or the Georgia Dome or...) in prime time on national TV. We play a game like that every year."

Versus

"Hey, son. Come to Penn State, and you could play against pitt at home or in Pittsburgh on regional TV at noon every year. We play pitt every year."

Hmmm...tough choice. Obviously Franklin would heavily promote one scenario and would lay low on the other one by comparison.

So it seems as if talks are taking place to extend the series with Pitt. How would you feel if we began every season by playing Pitt as one of just 3 out of conference games? I will always hate Pitt so I suppose I would welcome it. It would definitely create some interest heading to each season.

In fairness to the argument of more games being played at Pitt. These games were played in Pittsburgh because it was difficult for the media to get to Central Pa. back in the day. Playing the games in Pittsburgh was an advantage to us at that time.

I've been a fan since 1962, I don't want to see it happen. I KNOW how my teenage daughters, my wife and I were treated in 2000. No thanks to that again.
Hang onto tha

OK Sport. There is a BIG difference between ball busting and the vulgar, nasty, threatening, in your face nonsense my wife, two teenage daughters and I faced in 2000. I will never go back to Pittsburgh for a game again. NEVER!
The only game I ever attended like that one was at Syracuse in 1988. I was with friends that day. It started on the bus ride from SkyTop to the Carrier Dome. An older woman told us that Syracuse was going to kick Penn State's F**king Ass. It only got worse that day. There were fights in the stands all through the game. I had never seen that at a Penn State game before, until Pitt 2000. I've been to Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Maryland and Boston College. Not even Columbus was nearly as bad as Pittsburgh. I say SCREW PITT. I would rather play Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, LSU or Georgia.
As I said, we've all had crazy (scary) experiences at other places. I just don't feel it is necessary to elaborate on what some feel about PSU fans on this board I can't wait for the '16 game, but I will stay away from PSU fans that I don't know. I didn't realize the hatred and animosity you guys have for Pitt until I visited this board. I will visit from now on, but will hesitate to post and try to add to discussion. Whatever happened to people trying to see the other side on any issue politics, religion, or in this case sports? I post here only to add thought or fact to threads, and it turns out to be argumentative and demeaning. I appreciate PSU fans' passion and loyalty, but you need to accept others also. There are two sides to positives and negatives. I accept them for PSU, they have gone through a lot recently. but you need to accept that Pitt is a great school, in a great city ( well- documented by many publications), and they have hired a well-respected coach and AD. Let's hope the upcoming series is exciting and well- played.

As I said, we've all had crazy (scary) experiences at other places. I just don't feel it is necessary to elaborate on what some feel about PSU fans on this board I can't wait for the '16 game, but I will stay away from PSU fans that I don't know. I didn't realize the hatred and animosity you guys have for Pitt until I visited this board. I will visit from now on, but will hesitate to post and try to add to discussion. Whatever happened to people trying to see the other side on any issue politics, religion, or in this case sports? I post here only to add thought or fact to threads, and it turns out to be argumentative and demeaning. I appreciate PSU fans' passion and loyalty, but you need to accept others also. There are two sides to positives and negatives. I accept them for PSU, they have gone through a lot recently. but you need to accept that Pitt is a great school, in a great city ( well- documented by many publications), and they have hired a well-respected coach and AD. Let's hope the upcoming series is exciting and well- played.

I accept that Pitt is a great school in a great city. But it's a mediocre football program that plays on a pro stadium with no college game day atmosphere. And calling this hatred and animosity means you must not read what goes on at the lair free board. I really don't give a damn about your program, but it's just not a very good one and playing Pitt does nothing to help our program. And it's not just you guys that I'm critical of playing. Our OOC schedule has been filled with stooges such as Pitt as our premium game for far too long. Hell, if Rutgers hadn't joined the B1G our premium game this year and last would have been them. There is not a single OOC game on our schedule that isn't a game with a mediocre program that barely has a pulse. The only possible exception may be Va Tech if they cam hire someone decent after Beamer retires and I'm not holding much hope of that.

What you see as animosity is mostly our fans not wanting to play stooge like teams such as Pitt every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pandaczar12
So it seems as if talks are taking place to extend the series with Pitt. How would you feel if we began every season by playing Pitt as one of just 3 out of conference games? I will always hate Pitt so I suppose I would welcome it. It would definitely create some interest heading to each season.
I just threw up!

Frankly, I don't care if you ever come back to this site. Further, you should go back to the PantherLiar and tell THEM what you just posted, for their edification "I post here only to add thought or fact to threads, and it turns out to be argumentative and demeaning." They've taken to questioning the motives of Penn State students during THON. It doesn't get much lower than that. I'm done with this whole topic.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I didn't realize the hatred and animosity you guys have for Pitt until I visited this board.

This guy is out of his freaking mind. It really is amazing how they project their own behaviors on us.

In fairness to the argument of more games being played at Pitt. These games were played in Pittsburgh because it was difficult for the media to get to Central Pa. back in the day. Playing the games in Pittsburgh was an advantage to us at that time.

This has been covered. It is now advantageous for Pitt to play at PSU, so the game won't happen until they man up.

An FSU fan at Bettis's told us that they can't wait to come to Pgh again becaus Pitt fans were welcoming and civil not like some other places.and an OSU fan told a bunch of us after golf in Ohio that he has had crazy experiences at Wisc and Mich, but penn St is downright scary. True stories. So,don't think your feelings about Pgh are unique. Especially after all, you guys say Pitt has few fans and you get 107 k. Who logically would create more crazy experiences?

If even true, ever consider they were telling you what you wanted to hear to get rid of you? I have a very good friend who is an aTm grad. I have never heard her say a bad thing about anyone on the planet, one of the nicest people I have ever met. She went to a VaTech game at Heinz Field with two friends, on Pitt grad and one VT grad. After the game, she vowed to never return to a game at Heinz Field, and to avoid Pitt fans whenever possible.

It is what it is...whether you agree with it or not. I'm sure Sandy is looking at it from a financial standpoint as she should. If it makes sense financially, it will happen. If it doesn't, it won't. You are well within your right to vote with your pocket book.

You people who still want to play Pitt really need to look at a calendar and see what century it is,

Like it or not, Pitt football is discussed on this board more than any other single program, and that's without having played them for 15 years. For the same reasons you can't fabricate a rivalry where none exists (see MSU), you also can't dictate that obvious rivalries don't exist.

Like it or not, Pitt football is discussed on this board more than any other single program, and that's without having played them for 15 years. For the same reasons you can't fabricate a rivalry where none exists (see MSU), you also can't dictate that obvious rivalries don't exist.

The discussion of Pitt, with the exception or recruiting, would stop if the same three people didn't post the same inane "play pitt every year because we were rivals back when I had hair" thread every three days.

In my view, Pitt threads exist mainly because Pitt fans come over to these boards and initiate threads plus there are a few PSU posters who visit Pitt boards and then have to relate the humorous stories from their boards. Then the animosity takes over. I see the same thing with Rutgers. I hope you don't think Rutgers is a rival.

That's a cute interweby contrarian argument, but let's please allow common sense to prevail. Now, for the common sense. Just because pitt is discussed here a lot does not mean there is a rivalry and does not mean that a lot of people here want to see Penn State play pitt. Look at the talk about pitt here. How much of it is positive with respect to pitt? How much of it refers to pitt as a worthy or desired opponent?

Nice try.

The question of extending the series with Pitt is a Sandy Sanity Test. If she extends it, then you know she is crazier than an outhouse rat and needs fired instamatically. Then the contract can be immediately voided - it's unenforceable since it was signed by a mental defective.

The math is so simple even PSU can't screw it up. The budget requires seven home games. We're going to have 9 conf games, meaning every other year we have five roadies and four homers. So every other year all three OOC have to be at home. Lock in with Pitt and that means you can forget about playing anybody else - EVER - since by definition you can NEVER go on the road 50% of the seasons. Forget ND, forget Alabama, Tennessee, Southern Cal, Texas, Miami, forget them all. We'll have two slappies and Pitt. Forever. Doesn't that sound great?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Not just no. Hell no.

The question of extending the series with Pitt is a Sandy Sanity Test. If she extends it, then you know she is crazier than an outhouse rat and needs fired instamatically. Then the contract can be immediately voided - it's unenforceable since it was signed by a mental defective.

The math is so simple even PSU can't screw it up. The budget requires seven home games. We're going to have 9 conf games, meaning every other year we have five roadies and four homers. So every other year all three OOC have to be at home. Lock in with Pitt and that means you can forget about playing anybody else - EVER - since by definition you can NEVER go on the road 50% of the seasons. Forget ND, forget Alabama, Tennessee, Southern Cal, Texas, Miami, forget them all. We'll have two slappies and Pitt. Forever. Doesn't that sound great?

It is beyond ridiculous.

Not just no. Hell no.
Why does everyone who doesn't want to play Pitt ignore the obvious. You offer Pitt a 2 for 1, or 3 for 1 to continue the series. That gives you the flexibility to try and schedule your marquee opponents. No one who wants to play Pitt is suggesting otherwise. If Pitt refuses, well, we do have financial considerations that take precedence. If Barbour can pull that off, she is quite sane.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Why does everyone who doesn't want to play Pitt ignore the obvious. You offer Pitt a 2 for 1, or 3 for 1 to continue the series. That gives you the flexibility to try and schedule your marquee opponents. No one who wants to play Pitt is suggesting otherwise. If Pitt refuses, well, we do have financial considerations that take precedence. If Barbour can pull that off, she is quite sane.
They've already refused 2 for 1 and I think they've refused 3 for 2. They say Pitt is first class just like Penn State. They won't take an uneven series.

I've.sAid it before. Alternate games between state college and Pittsburgh but penn state gets every othe Pittsburgh game as a home game

I think you guys secretly love Pitt. All in good fun. Look forward to 2016
medium-smiley-002.gif

ADVERTISEMENT