ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State vs. Pitt for our season opener every year?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
So it seems as if talks are taking place to extend the series with Pitt. How would you feel if we began every season by playing Pitt as one of just 3 out of conference games? I will always hate Pitt so I suppose I would welcome it. It would definitely create some interest heading to each season.

So it seems as if talks are taking place to extend the series with Pitt. How would you feel if we began every season by playing Pitt as one of just 3 out of conference games? I will always hate Pitt so I suppose I would welcome it. It would definitely create some interest heading to each season.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: cavic
image.png

No, not even 2 for 1. Lets set up a bunch of home and homes with respected powers, like LSU, USC, Georgia, Oregon...

USC in Jersey again, or ND this time. How about FSU in the Georgia Dome. Or a trip down to visit Golden in Miami

Reactions: john4psu

Not as long as we're in The Big Ten. I would more than welcome closing every season with them as a member of the ACC.

So it seems as if talks are taking place to extend the series with Pitt. How would you feel if we began every season by playing Pitt as one of just 3 out of conference games? I will always hate Pitt so I suppose I would welcome it. It would definitely create some interest heading to each season.[/QUOTE
I guess folks would rather play Buffalo, San Diego St or Army rather than Pitt. That's not it they say? They want LSU, Bama and Florida State? It's called a rivalry game. Get it on the schedule. Enough of the crap games early on in the season. Then they bitch why only 75,000 show up.

In my "opinion". If we were to schedule PITT every year as a "true" rivalry game (one only needs to look at the History), the GAME should be played at the END of the season as our LAST game. Similar to OSU vs Michigan (I know they are both in the Big, oops, meant to say ARE the Big).
It was always a fun game and I think that is the purpose for ALL the games :)
OR do you want "Rutgers" or "Maryland" to become our "rivalry" game.
Pitt is every bit as good as Rutgers or Maryland, so not a cupcake.

Would NOT want to open the season against them, what's the FUN in that ?????

I guess folks would rather play Buffalo, San Diego St or Army rather than Pitt. That's not it they say? They want LSU, Bama and Florida State? It's called a rivalry game. Get it on the schedule. Enough of the crap games early on in the season. Then they bitch why only 75,000 show up.
Yes, I want neutral site games against the best programs in the country because that is what the best programs do.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I grew up watching the PSU Pitt game either in person or on TV. I was there at 48-14 and so on and so forth,,,,,

My daughter is considering Pitt as a college, ugh. but I honestly have no burning desire to see this series started back up again as an annual game. I really don't, to me they are just like us rotating Temple, Syracuse, BC, or WVU on and off the schedule. I really don't miss them at all, just indifferent about it.

I think I would like it for our first game every year. Many would still not call it a rivalry but right now as we look ahead to the season, how cool would it be to nail them to the wall and listen to them rant and rave how bad it is to be a Pitt fan. You can almost hear them saying after their first game how much they can't wait for basket ball season to start. Their illusions of being the beast in the east is over just after the first four quarters of the season. For what it's worth, just my opinion.

Our OOC schedule is cupcake enough now. It's time we start focusing on adding some home and homes with legit teams. If Pitt wants to play a home and done every now and then, or even a 2-1, that's fine every once and a while. We can't have a yearly game against a team that's going to hurt our OOC SOS like Pitt.

Kinda torn. Its a hoot for fans and a lot of fun. But Pitt has fallen a long way and us playing them will help their recruiting and may hurt ours as guys go to Pitt. I wouldn't add any more games at this point. Play these and see how it goes before adding any more.

I would love to see the Penn State - Pitt series renewed. The Penn State fan base (about 5,000,000 people) and both Pitt fans would love to see the game played yearly.

I also think that fairness should prevail on the game location. Based on my count Penn State has played Pitt 95 times in the past. A total of 70 of these games were played in Pittsburgh. Thus, 45 consecutive games should be played in Beaver Stadium to make the series even. If the series re-starts in 2016 then the game should be played at Beaver Stadium each year until 2061. After that the series should revert to a home and home format. Does anyone think that this is unfair? If so, why?

Last edited:
Play Pitt, Temple and West Virginia on a rotating basis. Schedule would be as follows:
2016 and 17 Pitt home & away
2018 and 19 Temple home & away
2020 and 21 WVU home & away

No thanks...9 conference games kills this and not because I'm opposed to playing Pitt, but I am opposed to playing them (or any OOC team) every year. There is no net positive in this for PSU. We already own recruiting

If we are going to play a power 5 conference team, it should be a team with an attractive recruiting footprint.

I vote no. To me there's nothing worse than the 'rivalry' game being played on opening weekend like Colorado vs Colorado State.

I'd agree to play Pitt each year but it would be the third game and PSU would get 3 home games for every 2 at Pitt.

I would like to see an early-season game against a nationally-recognized program that would ensure a prime time slot.

I vote for UT in Austin.

Going forward, these could be competitive games and draw lots of attention early in the season.

I'd agree to play Pitt each year but it would be the third game and PSU would get 3 home games for every 2 at Pitt.
Why? how does that benefit you personally? A Pitt vs. Penn St game every year would be great for the state of PA.

Not with the B1G going to a 9 game conference schedule. If they want to maintain 7 homes games then playing Pitt every year would exclude Penn State playing any other school that would not take a one and done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT