ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Penn State lands 2024 QB Ethan Grunkemeyer

If Yurcich loves him, I love him.

Looks like he needs some time in the PSU S&C program which he will have.

If Yurcich loves him, I love him.

Looks like he needs some time in the PSU S&C program which he will have.
We have Allar for 2-3 more years and Pribula for 4 years. The importance of a QB in this class was for depth.

We have Allar for 2-3 more years and Pribula for 4 years. The importance of a QB in this class was for depth.
Tell that to Yurcich and Franklin. I believe they go after the best players they can find and develop them to their peak athletic ability. They don't recruit for "depth". Even the best players sometimes end up as depth when they first arrive depending on the state of the roster. Kyle McCord was "depth" at oh-high-ya for a couple of years, and was the 2nd rated QB in their 2021 class, but sure wasn't recruited as depth.

Aller is likely at PSU 2 more seasons. Players, especially QB's, get hurt. No coach classifies players they recruit as "depth" when they recruit them, but instead get them ready to contribute as fast as each player's ability and progress allows. For all we know Allar or Pribula, or both, will get hurt and then the players you like to classify as "depth" will be the players that will be either leading PSU to wins or leading PSU to losses. I'm glad the PSU coached don't follow your line of thinking.

Last edited:
Tell that to Yurcich and Franklin. I believe they go after the best players they can find and develop them to their peak athletic ability. They don't recruit for "depth". Even the best players sometimes end up as depth when they first arrive depending on the state of the roster.

Aller is likely at PSU 2 more seasons. Players, especially QB's, get hurt. No coach classifies players they recruit as "depth" when they recruit them, but instead get them ready to contribute as fast as each player's ability and progress allows. For all we know Allar or Pribula, or both, will get hurt and then the players you like to classify as "depth" will be the players that will be either leading PSU to wins or leading PSU to losses. I'm glad the PSU coached don't follow your line of thinking.
Of course the staff looks for the best players. But the recruits are looking for an opportunity to play early. Not too many want to come and sit the bench waiting for Allar to graduate.

Of course the staff looks for the best players. But the recruits are looking for an opportunity to play early. Not too many want to come and sit the bench waiting for Allar to graduate.
Barring a catastrophe with Allar, this kid gets his shot in 2025 as a Sophmore or most likely redshirt Freshman. He would have 4 years of eligibility. His primary competition will be Pribula (assuming he stays) who will have two years of eligibility and the '25 recruit who is hopefully a 5 star.

Barring a catastrophe with Allar, this kid gets his shot in 2025 as a Sophmore or most likely redshirt Freshman. He would have 4 years of eligibility. His primary competition will be Pribula (assuming he stays) who will have two years of eligibility and the '25 recruit who is hopefully a 5 star.
2025 QB could be Blake Hebert. He’s quickly become a hot commodity and is showing off his skills. Big, strong, and mobile.

Reactions: 19333lion
I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that and this is not a shot at PSU. It will be extremely hard for ANY school - not just PSU - to build quality depth at QB going forward and that can be attributed to the Portal. Kids just aren't going to stick around like they did in the past.

I read on one of the OSU sites that they're in the same situation as PSU. They also expect the loser of the McCord - Devin Brown battle for starting QB to hit the Portal. Same holds true for Alabama.....Basically, the Transfer Portal is becoming phase 2 of CF recruiting

I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that and this is not a shot at PSU. It will be extremely hard for ANY school - not just PSU - to build quality depth at QB going forward and that can be attributed to the Portal. Kids just aren't going to stick around like they did in the past.

I read on one of the OSU sites that they're in the same situation as PSU. They also expect the loser of the McCord - Devin Brown battle for starting QB to hit the Portal. Same holds true for Alabama.....Basically, the Transfer Portal is becoming phase 2 of CF recruiting
It is definitely affecting the depth of teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT