ADVERTISEMENT

PBS: The Day the 60's Died (Tuesday night - link)...........

America's GREATEST generation since our Forefathers....

http://www.pbs.org/program/day-60s-died/
Bullspit. My generation is way down the list. What the heck are you smoking? I was born in 1944 but the 60 generation waas a huge disappointment. Of course, all the media showed were the left wing potheads. Evenso, this is what we have to measure them for. The Vietnam war was a disaster as every war since then has been except the first Iraq war. The generation that won WWII is the greatest generation with the founding fathers the second.

Reactions: fairgambit
The spring of 1970 was unlike any that I have seen. Campuses across the country were rioting to protest Nixon's Cambodian incursion, and here at Penn State, the balance of the spring term was cancelled and students were sent home. Personally, I was getting ready to go to boot camp after having joined the National Guard when the shootings at Kent State happened. On one hand I was sick to my stomach about the Guard's involvement, but was happy to have gotten in after getting a very low draft number in the previous December's draft lottery.

Bullspit. My generation is way down the list. What the heck are you smoking? I was born in 1944 but the 60 generation waas a huge disappointment. Of course, all the media showed were the left wing potheads. Even so, this is what we have to measure them for. The Vietnam war was a disaster as every war since then has been except the first Iraq war. The generation that won WWII is the greatest generation with the founding fathers the second.
I agree, except I would put the founding fathers first with WWII second. I came of age in the 60's and I have little respect for the accomplishments of my generation. Of course, we were not responsible for the Vietnam War, we only fought it, and some credit should be given for helping to bring it to a close. Other than that, we were a generation of privilege and we did little with the bounty we were given.

I agree, except I would put the founding fathers first with WWII second. I came of age in the 60's and I have little respect for the accomplishments of my generation. Of course, we were not responsible for the Vietnam War, we only fought it, and some credit should be given for helping to bring it to a close. Other than that, we were a generation of privilege and we did little with the bounty we were given.
To me the most disappointing thing about our generation was that many railed against materialism, but yet once the 80's began we morphed into the most pretentious, self-centered, materialistic generation seen to date. I don't know, maybe it was just a matter of the mask being removed.

Reactions: fairgambit
To me the most disappointing thing about our generation was that many railed against materialism, but yet once the 80's began we morphed into the most pretentious, self-centered, materialistic generation seen to date. I don't know, maybe it was just a matter of the mask being removed.
I absolutely agree. I've tried not to get caught up in that but it's difficult.

NitNE73 wrote "here at Penn State, the balance of the spring term was cancelled and students were sent home." Not exactly true. But the truth was even stranger. I was on campus Class of 1970, so this was my senior year. While I did not graduate until Dec 1970 (I had to do 1 additional term) many of my friends were set to graduate and I remember this time well. At Penn State we were given a lot of options in May 1970 about half way through the 10 week term. First we could take the grade we had earned up to that point and be given credit for the course and did not have to attend that class for the rest of term. So if you had earned a B up to that point you could take the B and be given full credit for that course. But if you took the grade you and you stopped going to class you were to participate in discussions, events about the world situation. This was never checked so some people could have gone home. In addition you could take any course as Pass/Fail. You would continue going to class and if you got a Pass you got full credit for the class and it did not enter into your GPA. You could continue going to class and get a normal grade. You could mix these options as you liked. You could take a grade in one class, take another as Pass/Fail and continue in a third class normally. All professors were encouraged to have discussions in class about the situation.

My experience was to take one class as Pass/Fail and continue on in the others. One of my Metallurgy Professors asked once if anyone wanted to discuss the situation, we all said no and that was that. He continued to teach Process Metallurgy as if nothing had happened. Anyway I finished the term and went to all classes so the campus was not closed. Because of taking one class as Pass/Fail this was the only term I got a 4.0. Trust me I would not have gotten a A in my Electrical Engineering Class.

If I recall correctly, we were given the option of taking the 7 week grade or we could take the final grade. But, you had to decide before the 7 week mark. I didn't take any 7 week grades. Neither did a lot of the people I knew. Maybe a few took a class or two. We went to class, as normal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT