ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Western Colorado trip ideas this summer

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
We pretty much covered everything in central Colorado from RMNP to Aspen to Pikes Peak back in '08. This August we are looking at the left end of the state.

Would love to know about some hidden gems when it comes to hiking, local beer and food (notice I put beer in front of food).

Must does near Grand Junction are the Colorado National Monument and Grand Mesa Scenic Byway.

A couple nights in Telluride, looks like a great area.

Mesa Verde National Park.

A multiple day combination between Durango/Silverton/Ouray. Looking for the best jeep tour in the San Juan's.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP.

We were at Crested Butte in '08, but this town requires a return visit.

I forgot how much there is to see/do in this great state.

You might enjoy the South Fork/Creede area. I was there last year for 2 weeks in August primarily for trout fishing on the Rio Grande, but there was no shortage of hikers and trail riders into the San Juans. Nice day trips over the divide west into Pagosa Springs, or north into the Gunnison area. Great weather in August!

If you're into heavy-duty hiking, do Uncompahgre Peak, the highest in the San Juans at over 14,000 feet. The hike is about a 3,000-foot elevation gain over 3 1/2 to 4 miles.

If you're at Colorado National Monument, continue west and go across the border into Utah to visit Canyonlands an Arches.

You could make a loop from Grand Junction to Moab and Arches National Park, down to Cortez and Mesa Verde over to Durango, up to Silverton and Telluride then up to Montrose and Black Canyon of the Gunnison then back to Grand Junction. If you like Colorado National Monument you will love Arches and southeastern Utah. Moab Brewery in Moab has good beer. If you are in Grand Junction in August that is peach season. Buy some local peaches from an orchard or local store. Best peaches I've ever tasted!

Durango and Silverton train is a great ride. Do the first class car which has a bar.
There is also a dirt road north out of Silverton to Animas Forks, great ghost town. Passes old mines, ghost towns. Keep going and you can loop over Engineer Pass and come back to Animas.
Ouray has a brewing company in town.

You could make a loop from Grand Junction to Moab and Arches National Park, down to Cortez and Mesa Verde over to Durango, up to Silverton and Telluride then up to Montrose and Black Canyon of the Gunnison then back to Grand Junction. If you like Colorado National Monument you will love Arches and southeastern Utah!

Assuming that you're flying into Denver and driving over to the west side, it will take a good 6-8 hours to get to/from western Colorado---essentially wiping out two days of your available time. The NW part of CO isn't nearly as interesting as the SW part of CO or the SE area of Utah as MHL recommends above. MHL's itinerary is actually close to the one I was going to suggest. Just remember that SE Utah gets very warm in August so plan your outdoor activities early in the morning and keep an eye out for slithering reptiles after the sun comes out.

In SW CO, you might try fly fishing along either the Dolores or San Miguel rivers. Mesa Verde is not to be missed. You will like Durango because it has 5 microbreweries (Steamworks, Carver, Ska, Animas and Durango) which is amazing because the town isn't very large. Ride the narrow gauge railroad to/from Durango to Silverton. There's not much to do in either Silverton or Ouray but they're worth driving through. Ouray has clothing optional hot springs if you're into that sort of thing

Telluride is very nice, but I recommend staying in Mountain village above Telluride which are connected by a free gondola that operates from 6 am until midnight. The hotels in MV are newer and nicer than those in downtown Telluride. There are two microbreweries in Telluride. Smugglers is a microbrewery restaurant located downtown and the Telluride Brewing Co (excellent) is actually located on the far western edge of Telluride in an industrial park, but Is worthy of a stop.

You need to carry bear spray and a few bells tied to your belt or backpack if you're going hiking in the San Juan's during August, especially if you do Intermediate or more difficult trails that take you uphill away from the towns/population because that is the time of year when the Bears are beefing up in preparation for hibernation.

We pretty much covered everything in central Colorado from RMNP to Aspen to Pikes Peak back in '08. This August we are looking at the left end of the state.

Would love to know about some hidden gems when it comes to hiking, local beer and food (notice I put beer in front of food).

Must does near Grand Junction are the Colorado National Monument and Grand Mesa Scenic Byway.

A couple nights in Telluride, looks like a great area.

Mesa Verde National Park.

A multiple day combination between Durango/Silverton/Ouray. Looking for the best jeep tour in the San Juan's.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP.

We were at Crested Butte in '08, but this town requires a return visit.

I forgot how much there is to see/do in this great state.

Grand Junction and Colorado National Monument are must do's.
Grand Junction is a really nice town and my suggestions would be the Rockslide Brewery. Some really good food and brews.
Also Arches, Moab and Dead Horse Point are not that far, IIRC about an hour and a half. Well worth a day trip.

http://www.rockslidebrewpub.com/

You might enjoy the South Fork/Creede area. I was there last year for 2 weeks in August primarily for trout fishing on the Rio Grande, but there was no shortage of hikers and trail riders into the San Juans. Nice day trips over the divide west into Pagosa Springs, or north into the Gunnison area. Great weather in August!
I'll second this, we ski at Wolfcreek every year, a great secret place!! A trip over to Pagosa to jump in the springs, which are off the hook and is always fun. I love going to the Pagosa Brewery a micro brew with great pizza and wings! Stop in Kipps in Creede and say Hi, 90% Kipp is from Pa somewhere and a fun time, plus you can do your laundry while you wait!!

Mile High Lions trip is spot on. We have done that one several times. Mountain bike or hike in Durango on Hermosa Creek trail. Steamworks Brew Pub in Durango is good. Mesa Verde is a must if you are in Durango. Smugglers Brew Pub in Telluride is a must, it is where the locals go. We have stayed several times at Bear Creek Lodge on the mountain at Telluride, very nice outdoor pool and hot tubs, good free coffee in am and these are condos. No need to hastle with parking in town, just take the free gondola down to the center of town and it runs until midnight or so to get back home, so you don't have to drink and drive. A short walk from the lodge to catch the gondolas. A great hike from town is Bear Creek Falls we have done that one several times, always a nice hike. Canyonlands and newspaper rock are a must see, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper_Rock_State_Historic_Monument. Arches is easy to see since it is right at Moab. There are a lot of wineries around Grand Junction and Palisade you can visit. Eddie McStiffs in Moab has been a favorite since I used to mountain bike in Moab in the 90's. Slogar in Crested Butte has the best fried chicken on earth, a must if you haven't been there and Kochevar Salloon has been a Crested Butte institution forever. Oh Be Joyful Trail is a great trail out of CB. Teocalli Ridge Trail is a tough mt bike trail I did 3-4 times awesome views http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/963897. Lost Lake Trail off off of Kebler Pass from CB is a moderate hike. I do not know if the Old Irwin Lake Lodge is still open on Kebler Psss however I had a beer from the bar there once and one of the most incredible views in all of Colorado from there. There are campgrounds at the lake. I have lived in Colorado since 72 and been fortunate enough to spend some great times in incredible places. I hope this helps.

Black Canyon on the Gunnison is one my favorite places, don't miss that one.

2nd the Ska brewing in Durango.

Second the Black Canyon. Some of the most spectacular pictures I have are from the top looking down, to the river. I have been all over that State. If you hike any trail down to the river, bring the fly rod. Water stays cold and clear year round. When you see the terrain, you will know why.

If you get near Mexican Hat check out The Goosenecks, Muley Point and the Moki Dugway for the great scenery there. From Muley Point you can see all the way down to Monument Valley, which wouldn't be that far to go to in itself. Natural Bridges is also near there and makes for a great afternoon hike.

Wow! Great suggestions everyone, much appreciated. We have 13 nights to do this adventure.

We spent two weeks in Utah back in '09 and did visit all the national parks. I thought about a return to Moab, but there is so much to see/do in Colorado. Plus we had perfect weather in '09.

The list of local breweries looks impressive.

From Denver our route will take us to Grand Junction (Colorado NM), Telluride, Cortez, Mesa Verde NP, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, and Montrose (Black Canyon of Gunnison). Not staying in all these places as I need to decide how to break up the nights.

I do know we are spending two nights in both Grand Junction and Telluride to start, and one night at the Fair View Lodge in Mesa Verde. The next 8 nights are up in the air.

After Montrose I am having trouble deciding where to head. I have looked at the route that some suggested through Lake City, Creede and South Fork. If we decide on that, then we will head east visit Great Sand Dunes NP.

The other option is head northeast to Crested Butte, then take Cottonwood Pass over the Continental Divide. We did this drive in '08 and was very scenic.

Here are our Colorado picks from '08:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117558162232902883856/albums/5464147726375081713?banner=pwa

RMNP from '08:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117558162232902883856/albums/5461504770528258065?banner=pwa

Arches NP in '09:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117558162232902883856/albums/5363199789554596033?banner=pwa

Wow! Great suggestions everyone, much appreciated. We have 13 nights to do this adventure.

After Montrose I am having trouble deciding where to head. I have looked at the route that some suggested through Lake City, Creede and South Fork. If we decide on that, then we will head east visit Great Sand Dunes NP.

I've been to the great sand dunes national park, except in January. Short story, as mentioned we were heading to South Fork to go skiing at Wolfcreek, we stopped at the Great Sand Dunes NP. My buddy that has the cabin in S Fork also coaches track and CC here at Marshall. Anyway we are all 50+ somethings, and he brings along 2 of his former runners in their 20's. They are still in training. So we stop at the park, drink a few beers, and send the 20 somethings out for a run!!! They take off and run up those hills, in January (temp 20's), and we watch as they disappear into the hills, while we drink beer!!! They were just little dots on the horizon!! We did give them some beer when they got back!! But what a memory.

Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train Ride is great. I did it about 10 years ago. Got dropped off at the 1/2 way mark and did three days of backcountry hiking in the Chicago Range. Climbed a couple of 14ers. Very cool.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train Ride is great. I did it about 10 years ago. Got dropped off at the 1/2 way mark and did three days of backcountry hiking in the Chicago Range. Climbed a couple of 14ers. Very cool.

The age of consent in Colorado is age 14.....? ;)

If you are driving from Denver, definitely consider the sand dunes south of Denver on the drive. Phenomenal.

If you are driving from Denver, definitely consider the sand dunes south of Denver on the drive. Phenomenal.
I agree with this!!! I've only been in the winter, I cant imagine what the summer looks like!

This is the boys on their run.
wolfcreek%20sand%20dunes%20t%20J%20running_zpsvlorerxb.jpg

Last edited:

We spent two weeks in Utah back in '09 and did visit all the national parks. I thought about a return to Moab, but there is so much to see/do in Colorado. Plus we had perfect weather in '09.

The list of local breweries looks impressive.

From Denver our route will take us to Grand Junction (Colorado NM), Telluride, Cortez, Mesa Verde NP, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, and Montrose (Black Canyon of Gunnison). Not staying in all these places as I need to decide how to break up the nights.

I do know we are spending two nights in both Grand Junction and Telluride to start, and one night at the Fair View Lodge in Mesa Verde. The next 8 nights are up in the air.

The other option is head northeast to Crested Butte, then take Cottonwood Pass over the Continental Divide. We did this drive in '08 and was very scenic.

Here are our Colorado picks from '08:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117558162232902883856/albums/5464147726375081713?banner=pwa

RMNP from '08:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117558162232902883856/albums/5461504770528258065?banner=pwa

Arches NP in '09:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117558162232902883856/albums/5363199789554596033?banner=pwa
Great Sand Dunes is worth visiting but it deserves a full day. Plan to go out hiking in the dunes. Start early because in the summer the sand can get hot. Walking up a huge hot sand dune can be kind of miserable. If you plan on just spending a couple hours there as a detour from Montrose driving back to Denver I'd probably skip it but that's just me.

Here's an update. Our first 10 nights are booked. With night 13 in Denver, still haven't decided for nights 11-12. Still thinking about Great Sand Dunes NP via Lake City, Creede and South Fork.

I am very much looking forward to all the great brew-pub suggestions.

Nights 1-2: Grand Junction. Grand Mesa Scenic Byway and the Colorado National Monument.

Nights 3-4-5: Telluride. From Grand Junction we'll take the Unaweep Tabeguache Scenic Byway. Hiking, jeep tour, gondola.

Night 6: Mancos, CO, Mesa Verde NP

Night 7: Durango: We decided against the train. It's not a must for us. Rather spend the time doing better stuff in Ouray.

Nights 8-9: Ouray. Hiking, hot springs and possible jeep tour.

Night 10: Gunnison. Spend day at the Black Canyon

Nights 11-12 ???

Night 13: Denver Airport

The boys running great sand dunes np
Me?? I was drinking beer!!! As were the rest of the grey wolves!!!

Last edited:
sorry but on my phone the pic shows ( I am blocked at work from photobucket where my pic is hosted) but I don't see it above on my work computer!!! Not trying to hi jack the thread. that said I think I answered my own question, I cant see it at work because it wont allow access to photobucket. I hope others can see it however.

ADVERTISEMENT