ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weber Genesis E-330: Buy Home Depot or elsewhere?

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
This grill has what I want, and I want to go quality this time, I.e., Weber. $799 at HD matches or betters any price I've seen. In the past, posters here have offered that the quality of brand products for machines like lawn mowers and snow blowers, for example, may suffer some at the box stores. Does this apply to Weber grills, and if so, what components are impacted?

I'm enjoying my Crimson E330 Special Edition right now! Used side burner for the first time about an hour ago for clams and am 1000% satisfied. sweet. Don't want to tell you what I paid for mine as it was from a local independent dealer going outta business in Feb

The Webers sold in the big box stores are fine.

At independent dealers, you'll find models that come with Stainless Steel cooking surfaces--you can also purchase those same stainless surfaces for your Weber bought at a big box store.

I got my Genesis E-310 at Lowe's and I love it--wouldn't trade it for anything.

Go with your local hardware store. They'll deliver it assembled for free and place it exactly where you them it place it...may cost an extra $25 but well worth that small price. Weber controls pricing so the big box stores don't have much if any advantage.

Reactions: bytir
The Webers sold in the big box stores are fine.

At independent dealers, you'll find models that come with Stainless Steel cooking surfaces--you can also purchase those same stainless surfaces for your Weber bought at a big box store.

I got my Genesis E-310 at Lowe's and I love it--wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks for the tip. Actually the gift certificate is for a future purchase, but it's still a good deal. Ace hardware is $20 more for the grill than HD, but I'm ahead $80, assuming I later find merchandise I will need from the hardware store. That is a sure bet. I'm probably visiting a local Ace store to buy the grill after confirming the deal by phone.

The e330 offered by ACE Hardware is a "Special Edition" which features a 4th burner "sear station". I have not seen this offered in either HD or Lowes.... fYI if you need a cover i can recommend one off Amazon that was $36 and every bit as well-made as the high-quality Weber coverd... I can get you the details if you are interested

The e330 offered by ACE Hardware is a "Special Edition" which features a 4th burner "sear station". I have not seen this offered in either HD or Lowes.... fYI if you need a cover i can recommend one off Amazon that was $36 and every bit as well-made as the high-quality Weber coverd... I can get you the details if you are interested
All of the 330 and above models at big box stores have the sear station.

MMII - I bought a used genesis 330 last yr on Craigslist. I am needing a cover though and would like to hear your recomendation. Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm... You're right... I do see on-line they certainly offer the sear station - but I could swear they had only the 3burner 310/330 on the floor back in Feb when I bought mine...

The Sear Station thing has been around since about 2013--it's not as much as an extra burner as it is the ability of the first burner to fire out extra BTUs. It's useful in some sense, but if you want a true 4th burner, it's best to go for one of the higher end Summits.

Regardless, anything Weber makes in the Genesis or Summit lines is fantastic. The Spirits are built overseas using cheaper materials, but they're still solid grills.

My e330 came with both grates and flavorizor bars in SS.... My 14yr old Genesis SilverB had cast iron grates (upgraded from porcelain-enamel many years ago). No issues with the ss. Suspect i should not have tovreplace ss grates but if i do it will be with cast iron (if avail)

My e330 came with both grates and flavorizor bars in SS.... My 14yr old Genesis SilverB had cast iron grates (upgraded from porcelain-enamel many years ago). No issues with the ss. Suspect i should not have tovreplace ss grates but if i do it will be with cast iron (if avail)
Agreed--can't say I've ever heard of someone having to replace the SS grates when taken care of.

Another tip for Weber (or any grill owners): Invest in a portable steamer with wire bristle head to clean the grease. I give mine a good steaming 2-3x per year to keep everything in the best shape possible.

Just noticed this past weekend that my Kenmore SS Grill that we bought in 2007 has started to rust through (there are 4 flame guard support pins now missing so they no longer sit above the burners). Hope to get through this season and then invest in a new grill. My grill has 5 burners and lots of grilling surface. Don't use the rotisserie. During a typical grilling session I have used the entire grilling surface may be 4 times in 8 years. When I say the size of the 330 I was VERY disappointed. The grilling surface difference between the Genesis and the Summit is night and day, but so is the sticker price!

Would love to get a Summit, but dropping $2,499 on a grill? Seriously? I did see that both the Genesis and the Summit have cast aluminum boxes, mine has 16g enameled steel. Will the cast aluminum box last that much longer? My grill cost $800 - if memory serves me correctly, so I would expect the Summit to last 24+ years to get comparable life to cost... is that realistic?

Just noticed this past weekend that my Kenmore SS Grill that we bought in 2007 has started to rust through (there are 4 flame guard support pins now missing so they no longer sit above the burners). Hope to get through this season and then invest in a new grill. My grill has 5 burners and lots of grilling surface. Don't use the rotisserie. During a typical grilling session I have used the entire grilling surface may be 4 times in 8 years. When I say the size of the 330 I was VERY disappointed. The grilling surface difference between the Genesis and the Summit is night and day, but so is the sticker price!

Would love to get a Summit, but dropping $2,499 on a grill? Seriously? I did see that both the Genesis and the Summit have cast aluminum boxes, mine has 16g enameled steel. Will the cast aluminum box last that much longer? My grill cost $800 - if memory serves me correctly, so I would expect the Summit to last 24+ years to get comparable life to cost... is that realistic?

The Summit E-470 is around $1800, which is very expensive--I don't usually use the entire surface of the Genesis E-310.

My in-laws also had a Kenmore 4-burner grill. Despite covering it all the time and putting it inside during winter, the bottom rusted out in less than 8 years. Couple that with two burner replacements and new grates, and that's a lot of money. I forget what they paid for it back in the day.....overall, they sunk a ton into it.

In all likelihood, a Weber Summit will perform much better over time than a comparable Kenmore.

What do you people do to these grills? I've had the same Sunbeam grill for 25 years and had to replace the burner unit once.

HTML:
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73912-WB-Veranda-Genesis/dp/B00JF2YWXK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432647554&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+e330+cover
MMII - I bought a used genesis 330 last yr on Craigslist. I am needing a cover though and would like to hear your recomendation. Thanks in advance.

Here's the cover I just received - it's very well made... same manufacturer that produced my RV cover, but the grill cover material is MUCH better.... reviews were very positive...
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Acces...d=1432647554&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+e330+cover

mbahses - I clean my grates after each use, as well as the flame guards, I clean the firebox at least once per month - when it has been used. It has been kept under a screened porch for the past 5 years, the first 3 it was kept covered by a very good cover (still have it in my shed and it is still in perfect condition).

IMHO it isn't about how people use the grill, it is more about how it is built.

Reactions: mbahses
mbahses - I clean my grates after each use, as well as the flame guards, I clean the firebox at least once per month - when it has been used. It has been kept under a screened porch for the past 5 years, the first 3 it was kept covered by a very good cover (still have it in my shed and it is still in perfect condition).

IMHO it isn't about how people use the grill, it is more about how it is built.

Yep regular care is the key. Changing lava rock, degreasing, cleaning the firebox walls. I also have as pie pan on the lower deck to catch any grease that may escape the drip cans.

HTML:
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73912-WB-Veranda-Genesis/dp/B00JF2YWXK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432647554&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+e330+cover

Here's the cover I just received - it's very well made... same manufacturer that produced my RV cover, but the grill cover material is MUCH better.... reviews were very positive...
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Acces...d=1432647554&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+e330+cover

I bought that same cover for my Weber. Looks and works great after 4 years.

I am enclosing another link to the cover that I purchased. The MEDIUM cover perfectly fits my Weber e-310. It's currently $26.49 on Amazon. As MMII stated, this is an awesome cover and half the price of the lesser quality Weber cover.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCNEWM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
This grill has what I want, and I want to go quality this time, I.e., Weber. $799 at HD matches or betters any price I've seen. In the past, posters here have offered that the quality of brand products for machines like lawn mowers and snow blowers, for example, may suffer some at the box stores. Does this apply to Weber grills, and if so, what components are impacted?
Was in HD today and noticed their E330 did NOT have SS flavorizor bars nor SS grates... Both were porcelain enamel .... Stainless bars&grates easily worth the trip to Ace Hardware or independant Weber retailer imho

HTML:

Thank you! I will be purchasing one this week. I hesitated on the weber one as it is a bit pricey at$60 or so. Looking forward to getting this one.

jsred24 asked Stainless steel or porcelain cast iron grates? Based on my training as Metallurgy Major I would recommend cast iron. Cast iron provides excellent heat transfer while stainless steel develops hot spots with uneven heat transfer. I know stainless steel looks better if you clean it, but cast iron is better for cooking. I have cast iron grates (not porcelain covered) for my Webber, they are great and do not require much cleaning. I just scrape off the grates. Similarly plain carbon steel (Fe and C only) makes a better knife than stainless steel. Plain carbon steel holds a sharper edge for much longer. Again, stainless steel looks better.

Reactions: psuguy04
jsred24 asked Stainless steel or porcelain cast iron grates? Based on my training as Metallurgy Major I would recommend cast iron. Cast iron provides excellent heat transfer while stainless steel develops hot spots with uneven heat transfer. I know stainless steel looks better if you clean it, but cast iron is better for cooking. I have cast iron grates (not porcelain covered) for my Webber, they are great and do not require much cleaning. I just scrape off the grates. Similarly plain carbon steel (Fe and C only) makes a better knife than stainless steel. Plain carbon steel holds a sharper edge for much longer. Again, stainless steel looks better.

Agreed - I would prefer cast-iron grates over the SS grates that came with my E330... either is better than low-rent porcelain-enamel over steel

If you don't want to buy the inferior grade stuff from Lowes or Home Depot, Buy directly from Weber. They have a website.
BTW, I bought a Weber Silver from Lowes 12 years ago, and it's still going strong. Granted,I have replaced the flavorizer bars and the burners once since then. I also use my grill almost daily, including in the winter. Any other questions Massimo?

precisely why I wouldn't send someone to HD or Lowes to buy their Weber.... doesn't it make sense to save them the $120 they'd need to spend 4yrs from now on replacement parts?

Those parts will need to be replaced at some point. I got 9-10 years out of my first set. I think I spent somewhere around $70 for SS flavorizers and $35-40 for replacement burners.

All this grill talk motivated me to clean my Weber yesterday. After a good scrubbing, I replaced the 5 flavorizor bars with new Porcelain-enameled Flavorizer bars and called Weber to have them send me complimentary Porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates (5 year warranty on those so I took advantage on a grill bought in 2011). After a good clean the heat deflectors and burner tubes were in great shape. BTW, the grill was not purchased at a big box store, yet I still replaced the flavorizor bars and will replace the grates once the new grates arrive from Weber.

Reactions: bmusser24
And here's my cheapie Sunbeam going strong at 25 years. I think I changed the wheels once as well.

Hint: to make wheels (plastic) last longer wrap the treads with high grade duct or other tape. Otherwise, invest in some rubber, or high grade hard rubber wheels. Keep them clean every so often.

Those parts will need to be replaced at some point. I got 9-10 years out of my first set. I think I spent somewhere around $70 for SS flavorizers and $35-40 for replacement burners.

"Those parts" won't need to be replaced if you simply skip Lowes and HD. Cant imagine ever having to replace cast-iron burners nor SS flavorizors... Cant imagine why you'd ever need to replace Weber burners...

One little technical hint. All stainless is not equal and yet can be called stainless. Bring a little magnet with you. If it sticks it's not very good stainless. Don't know how many grills would pass the test or how important high grade stainless is in that application. It certainly makes a difference on in kitchen appliances where you want it sparkling and easy to clean for years. Those unsightly magnetic back advertising cards will not stick to my stainless refrigerator. That is a good thing!

I bought my Genesis Gold with side burner in August 2001. I use approximately 15 tanks of LP per year (I use the grill almost daily) and it sits out without a cover. I replaced the flavor bars and the igniter about 2 years ago and unclogged the burner openings (many of the holes were closed over). My sister bought me a Weber cover that I haven't bothered to open since I use the grill all the time.

I bought my Genesis Gold with side burner in August 2001. I use approximately 15 tanks of LP per year (I use the grill almost daily) and it sits out without a cover. I replaced the flavor bars and the igniter about 2 years ago and unclogged the burner openings (many of the holes were closed over). My sister bought me a Weber cover that I haven't bothered to open since I use the grill all the time.
If you use 15 LP tanks a year, and your home has natural gas, you might want to look into either getting a natural gas grill or converting your Genesis (I assume you can do this, but haven't looked it up).
It is generally not that difficult to get the natural gas to your grill location.

Reactions: psuguy04
ADVERTISEMENT