ADVERTISEMENT

OT: U.S. Open

mlv5000

Apr 2, 2015
Who's your pick? Who you pulling for? Thoughts on Chambers Bay so far?

I'm liking Rickie from the American side, has had some really nice showings in The British past few years but wouldn't be surprised to see the Europeans up early, a la Justin Rose or Paul Casey.

Definitely pulling for Phil though, would love to see ole FIGJAM pull it out.

Who's your pick? Who you pulling for? Thoughts on Chambers Bay so far?

I'm liking Rickie from the American side, has had some really nice showings in The British past few years but wouldn't be surprised to see the Europeans up early, a la Justin Rose or Paul Casey.

Definitely pulling for Phil though, would love to see ole FIGJAM pull it out.
Rickie is my pick as well. Really looking forward to watching them play this course. I was reading about Chambers Bay this morning and some holes if playing downwind will yeild 400+ yard drives. Going to be entertaining to say the very least.

Rickie is my pick as well. Really looking forward to watching them play this course. I was reading about Chambers Bay this morning and some holes if playing downwind will yeild 400+ yard drives. Going to be entertaining to say the very least.

A lot of pundits are really talking up the long hitters too, though I'm not really sure any of them have the short game required here.

If there's the possibility of guys like Phil hitting knock-down 3 woods ~350, not sure if DJ/Bubba going 400+ will really make a difference.

Want Phil to win. His imagination fits that course. Probably too old at this point though.

Otherwise, Rory and Stenson. Both can hit it straight and far. Stenson hammers that 3 wood.

Want Phil to win. His imagination fits that course. Probably too old at this point though.

Otherwise, Rory and Stenson. Both can hit it straight and far. Stenson hammers that 3 wood.
Despite the hype over the supposedly difficult course, it comes across to me as a big hitter's clown course. Huge greens, tricky shots and the rough has not yet shown to be a factor.

I really do like watching golf but only one thing will keep my tuned in all weekend. Tiger under par. Other than that I'll try to catch some here and there

Like a British with reverse time zones. Finding all that fescue interesting. Sets up lots of putters from off the greens. Trying my best to adjust to Fox.

Last edited:
Despite the hype over the supposedly difficult course, it comes across to me as a big hitter's clown course. Huge greens, tricky shots and the rough has not yet shown to be a factor.

I started a thread early regarding the US open and WGT. They have the course to play online kinda cool. The greens seem to have big drop offs and even steep incline that players can throw shots off and let the ball roll down to the hole. The elevations from tee to Green are significant. There is a Tee on a Par 5 that I think drops like 80 ft. A few par 3's that are the same way. Also large waste areas.

I am interrested just to see how the pros play the course and the shots they create. Again I have only played this online but it looks interesting.

I am not comparing playing this course online and in person. Just saying that it looks like a really interesting course.

Woods is so bad that the USGA should grant him a medical walk off for mental illness. Shame he is taking someone else's spot.

Chambers Bay is awful. It's a converted quarry and it still looks like a quarry. People saying its wonderful for the U.S. Open are like critics trying to convince you 'Birdman' was a great movie. It wasn't. And this is an embarrassment to the USGA.

It's a combo of the British Open and Cedar Point.

The course layout has a golfer walking close to 10 miles instead of maybe 5-6 miles and has elevation changes totaling over 600 feet up and down.

Have grandstands for 18,000 of the 30,000 daily cap.

Slow play is again an issue. Luckily Sun is the longest day (daylight-wise) of the year.

WOW - Tiger just hit a great sand shot from a buried lie, even he was laughing at it. Sank the putt for par, still +4 after 10. A LONG time since Tiger smiled on a golf course.

I don't mind Chambers Bay at all, kind of like it. However, the Fox coverage sucks so far. They have a hard time following the ball. A dead person would have more personality than Corey Pavin. Brad Faxon already failed at NBC and Steve Flesch?

Reactions: OaktonDave
Fox is struggling. Norman is OK but not enough field guys and way too much of same guys talking.

The camera guys are horrid. Can't pick up the ball against the backdrop and they're shaky-camming hard.

9 more years of FOX showing the US Open - ugh - maybe the USGA left an out in their contract??

9 more years of FOX showing the US Open - ugh - maybe the USGA left an out in their contract??
Miller and Maltbie are so much better. Although I do think Faxon has a lot of insight.

FOX is learning, so I will cut them some slack. Still better than the drunken blowhard ESPN rolled out every year. Personally I loved Miller,but he wore on many people too. FOX did a fantastic job with the NFL, so give them time.

At least Fox is letting us watch most of the rounds start to finish. Lord knows that doesn't happen at the Masters.

Reactions: Mister Magoo
The best golf coverage is by far through CBS. They provide a fine mix of content that is entertaining and at times quite technical. I would put NBC second due to the on course commentary of Maltby and the antics of Johnny Miller.

ABC and now FOX just have no business covering golf. It's really sad that these networks have won coverage of the British and U.S. Opens. Both are overly dry, and when they make an attempt at humor/entertainment, it is often inappropriate or just plain condescending.

CBS provides a fine mix of international commentators and analysts. They seem to know how to work well as a team. They anchor the broadcast well and make the coverage flow seamlessly. Replays of fine shots often seem as though they were presented live. When a player is shown we see their score/standing. The CBS camera coverage with on-course commentators are second to none.

The best golf coverage is by far through CBS. They provide a fine mix of content that is entertaining and at times quite technical. I would put NBC second due to the on course commentary of Maltby and the antics of Johnny Miller.

ABC and now FOX just have no business covering golf. It's really sad that these networks have won coverage of the British and U.S. Opens. Both are overly dry, and when they make an attempt at humor/entertainment, it is often inappropriate or just plain condescending.

CBS provides a fine mix of international commentators and analysts. They seem to know how to work well as a team. They anchor the broadcast well and make the coverage flow seamlessly. Replays of fine shots often seem as though they were presented live. When a player is shown we see their score/standing. The CBS camera coverage with on-course commentators are second to none.

NBC recently won the British Open rights beginning in 2017 which is great... FOX outbid NBC with a ridiculous bid and won the rights to all USGA sanctioned events including men's and women's U.S. open along with US Open Amatuer.

Unfortunately... If you like golf... And you like watching the open... You stuck with golf.

Joe Buck ? Awful...

I really couldn't care less who televises or announces the golf matches. They really add nothing to the game. I don't see how Buck is any worse than Nance.

What is alarming to me is that this golf course is a cow pasture. Somebody at a very senior level of the USGA has to be saying "WTF?"

The Pats had The Deflator. Is Eldrick now "The Slicer"

I'll tell you what, that was one of the hardest rounds to watch in a while. They at least had the decency to quit showing Rickie hack it up, but with all the eyeballs on Tiger, woof. That was a dog.

I love links courses. It's going to resemble (British) Open Championship for certain. Interesting if and when the wind does blow.

This course is just terrible and does not even compare to a links course. The greens are uneven and if there is any grass in the area, it is not on the course.

If you really want to play a links course in the US, go to Bandon, OR and play the 5 courses at Bandon Dunes, the best links course in the US and overall 5th or 7th (according to some rankings) course in the US, http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/golf-courses, unfortunately the only reason this is in the Seattle area would be so that fans could show up. My neighbor, Peter Jacobson is a native of Portland, OR and now Naples, FL, and is not too fond of this USGA selection.

I agree CBS is hands down the best. I enjoy all of the coverage that FOX is showing, but Joe Buck? C'mon, they could find somebody better than that. Corey Pavin sounds like he's at a funeral. All in all, it's still better than hearing Berman hack it up for two days on ESpin.

This course is just terrible and does not even compare to a links course. The greens are uneven and if there is any grass in the area, it is not on the course.

If you really want to play a links course in the US, go to Bandon, OR and play the 5 courses at Bandon Dunes, the best links course in the US and overall 5th or 7th (according to some rankings) course in the US, http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/golf/golf-courses, unfortunately the only reason this is in the Seattle area would be so that fans could show up. My neighbor, Peter Jacobson is a native of Portland, OR and now Naples, FL, and is not too fond of this USGA selection.
I said it resembles...did not say it was in good shape or that it compares favorably to traditional links courses. It is not at all in good shape - greens are a mess. I love Bandon Dunes...and many other links courses around the country. I was curious to see how Chambers Bay might compare...so far, it doesn't.

Qatar is to FIFA as Chambers Bay is to the USGA.

2022.jpg

Reactions: bmw199
I said it resembles...did not say it was in good shape or that it compares favorably to traditional links courses. It is not at all in good shape - greens are a mess. I love Bandon Dunes...and many other links courses around the country. I was curious to see how Chambers Bay might compare...so far, it doesn't.

Personally, I enjoyed Stenson's tongue-in-cheek quote post 65 "It’s different. Of its kind, it’s one of the finest."

When you see some of the promo shots of the course, you can tell they were shot in the Spring, with the fescue fairways/greens a lovely kelly green, a really nice juxtaposition to the high stuff where Tiger's been playing, but being mid-June, it's a monotone amber mess.

I think my gripe with Chambers Bay rests in the fact that some of the ridges/hills look very contrived, almost too sharp. Obviously it was all dozed into position, but there just hasn't been time for everything to settle and round out more naturally. Compare that to Bandon, Whistling Straits, Arcardia Bluffs, etc. it shows a difference.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
Personally, I enjoyed Stenson's tongue-in-cheek quote post 65 "It’s different. Of its kind, it’s one of the finest."

When you see some of the promo shots of the course, you can tell they were shot in the Spring, with the fescue fairways/greens a lovely kelly green, a really nice juxtaposition to the high stuff where Tiger's been playing, but being mid-June, it's a monotone amber mess.

I think my gripe with Chambers Bay rests in the fact that some of the ridges/hills look very contrived, almost too sharp. Obviously it was all dozed into position, but there just hasn't been time for everything to settle and round out more naturally. Compare that to Bandon, Whistling Straits, Arcardia Bluffs, etc. it shows a difference.

Agree with this....but....

The majors are unique:

• Masters played every year on the same fantastic track
  • US Open played on different tracks with very punishing roughs
  • British Open played on an "olde course" in the tradition of the Olde Course
  • PGA Championship played on a nice, standard PGA course to crown a PGA champion
The problem with this course, as you say, are the 'tricks". But it also damages the tradition and brand of the US Open.

Agree with this....but....

The majors are unique:

• Masters played every year on the same fantastic track
  • US Open played on different tracks with very punishing roughs
  • British Open played on an "olde course" in the tradition of the Olde Course
  • PGA Championship played on a nice, standard PGA course to crown a PGA champion
The problem with this course, as you say, are the 'tricks". But it also damages the tradition and brand of the US Open.

I never liked the "hack it out" rough of the U.S. Open. That takes away too much of the shot making. I like to see players need to deal with flyer lies, and go for it when they shouldn't thinking they might get lucky and pull it off.

The aspect of the U.S. Open that I really like and that I think is missing here would be quality greens. I think Oakmont provides the standard -- very fast and smooth. "Fast" isn't possible this year due to the undulation, but I do think they missed the "smooth" part. The West Coast grasses are problematic, and Fescue is perhaps the worst. I'm not sure I understand why Bent would not work at Chambers Bay. But, it is a public course, and they probably wanted to preserve the "native grasses" aspect, though "natural" certainly doesn't fit the terrain. That said, I do love how they carved out most of the holes. I would play it for sure, and enjoy it.

ADVERTISEMENT