ADVERTISEMENT

OT: True Detective: S2;E2:Spoilers

rudedude

Sep 28, 2002
Fleetville, Pa.
5590b319251718342e80b4ec_td-colin-dead.gif

WTF?! Is this going the way of GOT? I sure hope not. I feel things are starting to heat up here and there is definitely the Greek tragedy thing going on. Paul getting a little Oedipal with mommy, eh? I sure hope Velcoro survives because I don't think the rest of the cast can pull it off without Farrell.

5590b4a01805dfb14520a12f_td-oedipus.gif

Reactions: LHavenlion
Not sure how Velcoro is going to survive that, but stranger things have happened I guess.

No Melisandre to bring him back to life.....

I went back and watched the preseason trailers and there are scenes of Farrell with Kitsch running with guns both have on bullet proof vests. Also some clips of Farrell without a mustache ( not in LA County sheriff uniform either) so methinks he survives someway

Reactions: WeR0206
Am about 75% finished with the episode though I heard what happens at the end. TD was getting trashed on Entertainment Weekly Radio this morning as too obvious and heavy handed (noting no one buys Vince Vaughn as a gangster). I don't know; I liked the first episode and like most of what I've seen so far. Typical media backlash against a show that was once lauded as completely original and revolutionary.

Anyway, will chime in with more once I finish the episode. I will say I love Farrell in this - he's outstanding. And his scenes with McAdams are the best things in the series so far this season.

Am about 75% finished with the episode though I heard what happens at the end. TD was getting trashed on Entertainment Weekly Radio this morning as too obvious and heavy handed (noting no one buys Vince Vaughn as a gangster). I don't know; I liked the first episode and like most of what I've seen so far. Typical media backlash against a show that was once lauded as completely original and revolutionary.

Anyway, will chime in with more once I finish the episode. I will say I love Farrell in this - he's outstanding. And his scenes with McAdams are the best things in the series so far this season.

Have to admit, the old "I was shot by I was wearing a vest trick" is......well.....old.

Seems possible that we are seeing a trick of time....like with Pulp Fiction. Possible...but, since this is the teevee machine.....I would not count on it.

Wasn't it a shotgun? I am not a gun guy. But from the little knowledge I have, it appeared Farrell was being shot by a shotgun. I can see surviving a single bullet type of gunshot. There is a chance the bullet misses key body parts. But how does a shotgun ... TWICE ... at close range, miss important body parts?

Re-watching the scene, I will state I think he was shot with a bean bag round. Why? No visible blood and after the first shot he had a stunned look on his face, not pain. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Reactions: Zenophile
lot of theories out there that ray framed his own death to get out of Vaughns grasp...we'll see next week

I

I agree. I think Vince Vaughn is awful in this. His 5 word lines seem so canned. I hope it picks up next week because so far it's not that great.

Finally finished the episode. I'm actually warming up to Vince Vaughn - I think he plays a pretty good 'career criminal trying to go legit' in this show. I still keep waiting for him to say 'earmuffs' or something but overall he's not *that* bad.

As to the ending, it sure looks like Ray bites the dust. If not (and the previews seem to suggest as much with his boss saying one of his guys was 'shot', and not necessarily 'killed'), he's going to be hurting for a good while.

Getting back to the 'who done it?', I've ready some pretty good theories out there. This one is my favorite, and draws on more Lovecraftian influence:

Much like last season was the King in Yellow, our Lovecraftian companion this season is Nylarthotep. Everyone has two faces. There are masks and egyptian symbols everywhere. And that little comment about Paul having "something happening to him in the desert" reeks of Nylarthotep's touch. Even the "convocation of influential men" and the creepy clinic of heightened awareness all speak of the messenger of the Great Old Ones. The fact that Ben Caspere's corpse faces west over the ocean is huge, too.

All that being said, I think there are three possibilities for the killer.

1) Paul Woodrugh: This is an awesome idea except for the fact that he likes to ride motorcycles too much. This guy would never drive a body in a car anywhere if he owned a motorcycle. The same thing that makes him an awesome suspect also eliminates him.

2) Ani's Dad: This is precisely the sort of guy who runs a cult of Nylarthotep. A guy who murders people because of what he knows about them not to expose their shame, but simply to create chaos and watch the chips fall out. When a guy says "We are living in the last age of man" he doesn't mean that he's trying to prevent this.

3) The rapist of Ray Velcoro's Wife: We have here a situation where two guys hit a guy over the head a bunch of times and left him in a ditch. Add this to plastic surgery to repair a face, a bunch of mystical weirdoes in a clinic, and you have a recipe for a serial killer. Now we haven't seen this guy yet, but it's possible that he could be Woodrugh (Conceivable, but unlikely) or the Judge's son. (Not mentioned by name.)

Anyway, things got super serious this week - looking forward to the next episode!

Interesting reads. I learn more here than when I watch the show.

I can't see Paul being involved in the murder though. I just don't see how with him finding the body any of that makes sense. I thought he even tried to speak to the guy. Overall the guy has issues though. Mom could do that to you.

Finally finished the episode. I'm actually warming up to Vince Vaughn - I think he plays a pretty good 'career criminal trying to go legit' in this show. I still keep waiting for him to say 'earmuffs' or something but overall he's not *that* bad.

As to the ending, it sure looks like Ray bites the dust. If not (and the previews seem to suggest as much with his boss saying one of his guys was 'shot', and not necessarily 'killed'), he's going to be hurting for a good while.

Getting back to the 'who done it?', I've ready some pretty good theories out there. This one is my favorite, and draws on more Lovecraftian influence:

Much like last season was the King in Yellow, our Lovecraftian companion this season is Nylarthotep. Everyone has two faces. There are masks and egyptian symbols everywhere. And that little comment about Paul having "something happening to him in the desert" reeks of Nylarthotep's touch. Even the "convocation of influential men" and the creepy clinic of heightened awareness all speak of the messenger of the Great Old Ones. The fact that Ben Caspere's corpse faces west over the ocean is huge, too.

All that being said, I think there are three possibilities for the killer.

1) Paul Woodrugh: This is an awesome idea except for the fact that he likes to ride motorcycles too much. This guy would never drive a body in a car anywhere if he owned a motorcycle. The same thing that makes him an awesome suspect also eliminates him.

2) Ani's Dad: This is precisely the sort of guy who runs a cult of Nylarthotep. A guy who murders people because of what he knows about them not to expose their shame, but simply to create chaos and watch the chips fall out. When a guy says "We are living in the last age of man" he doesn't mean that he's trying to prevent this.

3) The rapist of Ray Velcoro's Wife: We have here a situation where two guys hit a guy over the head a bunch of times and left him in a ditch. Add this to plastic surgery to repair a face, a bunch of mystical weirdoes in a clinic, and you have a recipe for a serial killer. Now we haven't seen this guy yet, but it's possible that he could be Woodrugh (Conceivable, but unlikely) or the Judge's son. (Not mentioned by name.)

Anyway, things got super serious this week - looking forward to the next episode!
Nah, it's the green-eared spaghetti monster!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT