ADVERTISEMENT

OT: things to do in wildwood/wildwood crest

psulion11

Jul 25, 2014
I'll be vacationing in Wildwood Crest with my girlfriend and her family in wildwood crest from Wednesday till next Tuesday.

For those who have been there before, any suggestions of things to do. Any bars, restaurants, activities you're a fan of?

I'll also be wearing Psu gear all week so if your there give me a We Are!

Spend some time in Cape May. Stone's throw from Wildwood Crest and it's both beautiful and historic! Multiple outstanding restaurants as well!

Enjoy Cape May County's most spectacular sunset at Harpoon
Henry's (On the Delaware Bay beach close to the Cape May/Lewes Ferry)

Select a day and take the CM/Lewes Ferry as a foot passenger (very cheap) to
Lewes DE. One of the ferry crossing options includes a quick trolley into Lewes where you will find
a wonderful, historic fishing village to explore - having awesome shops and restaurants. While there, be sure to try either Jerry's Seafood and/or Gilligans Restaurant located on the canal!

Last edited:
I'll be vacationing in Wildwood Crest with my girlfriend and her family in wildwood crest from Wednesday till next Tuesday.

For those who have been there before, any suggestions of things to do. Any bars, restaurants, activities you're a fan of?

The Crest is actually 'dry'. No bars, liquor stores, or alcohol in restaurants. I agree that Cape May is a good place to go hang out, as well as Wildwood.

Check out good night Irene's. Great craft beer bar and decent food. Alfie's is a decent Italian food place. It's got a really odd atmosphere but me and the wife have always enjoyed the food. If you are into craft beer, take a quick drive up to Cape May brewery. They are actually located about 10 mins outside of wildwood (not in cape may as the name would imply) and if your wife is into wine there is a winery right near the brewery. Can make for a really good drinking day.

There is a speed boat called the Silver Bullet that will take you on a pretty cool boat ride down to the cape may light house. You normally see some dolphins and also will get pretty wet on an exciting boat ride.

If you want to just hang out head into north wildwood and hit Keenan's and flip flops. Not my favorite places but that's a pretty good spot to bar hop.

I'll be there from Tuesday till Saturday! Maybe I'll give you a WE ARE if I see you.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jjsocrates
Go buy yourself a white wife beater tank top, some fake gold Italian knock off jewelry, long baggy shorts, die your hair jet black, un-tie your sneakers and go walk around the boardwalk.

Reactions: psuguy04
Agree that Good Night Irene's is a must for a couple craft beers, but also check out Tuckers Pub on the corner of Atlantic and Wildwood Avenues. Good selection of beers, very good Irish pub food (bangers & mash, fish & chips, shepherds pie, etc) and most nights they have a one or two person band with great sing-along tunes. The owner and staff are very nice.

Been going there with the family for 20+ years. Wildwood has changed drastically since the '80's. No longer a "teen town." Geared more to family. You need to head out the Crab House on Two Mile Landing. Nice raw bar and great seafood selection. Fish tacos are pretty good. Of course we always get Tony Luke's for a poolside lunch one day. Gotta get the pork sandwich with broccoli rabe. There's an awesome breakfast place out on route 9 in Cape May Courthouse. Clary's Country Corner restaurant. Better than the commercial places in Wildwood (Uncle Bill's, Marvis). A great variety. I usually get the crab cake eggs benedict.
When you're on the boardwalk make sure to get a slice of Mack's pizza. Joe's and Jumbo's are neat places too that sell beer and mixed drinks. Enjoy yourself and have a great trip. One of my favorite places.

Reactions: jjsocrates
I've got nothing for you, but thanks for the trip down memory lane. I worked in Wildwood during the summer between my Junior and Senior years at PSU. Man! What a summer. If there was ever 8 weeks I could live again, it just might be this. Elvin Bishop wrote a song about that summer in 1976.

I've got nothing for you, but thanks for the trip down memory lane. I worked in Wildwood during the summer between my Junior and Senior years at PSU. Man! What a summer. If there was ever 8 weeks I could live again, it just might be this. Elvin Bishop wrote a song about that summer in 1976.
I always love 'Elvin Bishop sitting on a bale of hay, he aint good lookin' but he sure can play'
Charlie changed it for him here (2:24)
BTW may not be PC, Charlie uses the word Rebel.

Reactions: PSU73
Spend some time in Cape May. Stone's throw from Wildwood Crest and it's both beautiful and historic! Multiple outstanding restaurants as well!

Enjoy Cape May County's most spectacular sunset at Harpoon
Henry's (On the Delaware Bay beach close to the Cape May/Lewes Ferry)

Select a day and take the CM/Lewes Ferry as a foot passenger (very cheap) to
Lewes DE. One of the ferry crossing options includes a quick trolley into Lewes where you will find
a wonderful, historic fishing village to explore - having awesome shops and restaurants. While there, be sure to try either Jerry's Seafood and/or Gilligans Restaurant located on the canal!

You might be able to help me out with a problem I've been trying to tackle for a little while now. My GF and I will be taking a four day weekend in Cape May near the end of August. We'd like to take the ferry over to Lewes but while over there I'd like to get to a decent blue-crab crab house. My girlfriend absolutely loves the things. Preferably all U can eat. The ferry is sort of a bucket list item for me...plus who doesn't love all u can eat blue crabs? I'd prefer to take the ferry by foot both because it's cheaper and also more convenient but then it seems difficult to get to a decent crab house on the DE side of the bay without a car. The ferry shuttle bus gets you kinda near a place or two on Rte 1 (I think it is) but that means a bit of a walk (on Rte 1 no less) and those places don't look all that great. Catching a DART bus would get us pretty near to some decent looking places on the shore points but those buses run every two hours so that could be pretty schedule constricting. To get over there by car means greater expense and hassle. Since we're doing this on a Saturday in season I think I'd almost have to book a spot on the ferry in both directions and I'm not all that comfortable being locked in like that. You have any suggestions?

Edit: While we're at it, can you a recommend a crab house in DE?

Last edited:
I have a condo in Wildwood Crest - while the other poster is correct it is a "dry" town Lower Township in a strange quirk of zoning is not dry so there in fact bars in what you would think would be Wildwood Crest - The Bayview has nice views if Sunset Lake which is actually part of the bay and the Crest Tavern has some good beers on tap. If it's a nice day the Warf Restaurant of the left as you cross the bridge into Wildwood from Rio Grand has a nice "Back Bar" which is all the way out the end of their deck and you can watch the boats and waverunners go by. I like Little Italy for food - it is BYOD but like most places down there doesn't take reservations so you need to go early if you don't want to wait. I always have my PSU gear on down there - tons of PSU people all around.

Check out good night Irene's. Great craft beer bar and decent food. Alfie's is a decent Italian food place. It's got a really odd atmosphere but me and the wife have always enjoyed the food. If you are into craft beer, take a quick drive up to Cape May brewery. They are actually located about 10 mins outside of wildwood (not in cape may as the name would imply) and if your wife is into wine there is a winery right near the brewery. Can make for a really good drinking day.

There is a speed boat called the Silver Bullet that will take you on a pretty cool boat ride down to the cape may light house. You normally see some dolphins and also will get pretty wet on an exciting boat ride.

If you want to just hang out head into north wildwood and hit Keenan's and flip flops. Not my favorite places but that's a pretty good spot to bar hop.

I'll be there from Tuesday till Saturday! Maybe I'll give you a WE ARE if I see you.

Enjoy!!

I'll be at Goodnight Irene's Thursday night for the weekly tap takeover and defending my Quizzo title! (Bazinga! Three straight weeks finishing in the Top Two!)
Best craft beer selection on the island!

My parents have a house in North Wildwood, so I take full advantage of the grandparents. Wildwood has started to morph into a family-friendly spot (on most weekends - and avoid the Boardwalk on weekend nights!)

Here's a short list of stuff to do (grab a bunch of those FREE papers like Shore Time that are available everywhere or check http://dotheshore.com/events):
Cape May Brewery - located at the airport, it will likely be packed considering how hard it is to find, but the beer is great! (There are a few vineyards, but c',mon - its still Jersey. But the wines aren't too bad.)
Sunset Beach/Cape May Lighthouse - 199 steps to a great view, then a mile drive to pick out cape may diamonds (little clear quartz droplets. Very cool!)
Besides Irene's, there's a few good restaurants - Dogtooth, Cattle & Clover, Pasta Pesto, The Establishment. Not sure about the Crest, although I've heard Fitzpatrick's is good (technically not in the Crest by some weird geographic reason)
Crab Cake Hotline!! Maui Dogs.
Fireworks on Friday nights!
Free Concerts!
Rent bikes on the boardwalk, or just bring your own. Ok to ride until noon.

There's a lot to do...we usually run out of days before we get to finish the Summer Bucket List.

You might be able to help me out with a problem I've been trying to tackle for a little while now. My GF and I will be taking a four day weekend in Cape May near the end of August. We'd like to take the ferry over to Lewes but while over there I'd like to get to a decent blue-crab crab house. My girlfriend absolutely loves the things. Preferably all U can eat. The ferry is sort of a bucket list item for me...plus who doesn't love all u can eat blue crabs? I'd prefer to take the ferry by foot both because it's cheaper and also more convenient but then it seems difficult to get to a decent crab house on the DE side of the bay without a car. The ferry shuttle bus gets you kinda near a place or two on Rte 1 (I think it is) but that means a bit of a walk (on Rte 1 no less) and those places don't look all that great. Catching a DART bus would get us pretty near to some decent looking places on the shore points but those buses run every two hours so that could be pretty schedule constricting. To get over there by car means greater expense and hassle. Since we're doing this on a Saturday in season I think I'd almost have to book a spot on the ferry in both directions and I'm not all that comfortable being locked in like that. You have any suggestions?

Edit: While we're at it, can you a recommend a crab house in DE?

There are shuttle buses between Lewes Ferry to Rehoboth and other shore points. You've just gotta research them on your own, I'm afraid. Besides, I'd just tell you to give all your money to Sam Calagione.

if you're not driving a car, I think you're ok for the ferry in terms of finding a spot. You really only need to reserve room if you have a car.

ADVERTISEMENT