ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "The Sheik" documentary

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
wow, just finished watching this on Netflix. If you're a wrestling child of the 80s like me, you remember the classic battles with The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff against the likes of Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Sgt Slaughter, etc . . .

This documentary will blow your mind. It follows Hossein Koshrow Ali Vaziri from his time growing up in Iran to becoming a world class wrestler, bodyguard for the Shah, and ultimately finding his way to Minnesota where he coached wrestling. He was even an assistant coach for the 1968 and 1972 US Olympic wrestling teams

His emergence as the Iron Sheik played off a lot of anti-Iranian sentiments (oh how the times have changed!) during the Hostage Crisis and the rise of the Ayatollah. But he was as American as apple pie, loved this country, and served as a mentor for many young wrestlers (most notably The Rock, who gives some very touching interviews)

I also learned about the murder of his oldest daughter, and how a drug addiction sent him into a tailspin in his professional career and personal life. The story of how he was banned from the WWF for sharing a ride with Hacksaw Jim Duggan is very weird. And the doc also follows his late career rise as a social media giant (his twitter feed is both disturbing and hilarious)

Definitely a must see for anyone who tried to put a friend or relative in the Camel Clutch when they were young . . .

Reactions: JimNazium
Just watched it the other day. Really entertaining.

I also did not realize he was responsible for the careers of 2 of the most popular wrestlers in history: Hulkamania, and The Rock. and he did coin the term "jabroni"

I also did not realize he was responsible for the careers of 2 of the most popular wrestlers in history: Hulkamania, and The Rock. and he did coin the term "jabroni"
"The Rock" sure has gotten some mileage out of "jabroni."

"The Rock" sure has gotten some mileage out of "jabroni."

at least in the documentary he is very forthcoming in giving credit to The Sheik for the term, and acknowledges how it has become associated with him. The Rock tells some funny stories, apparently Vaziri and his dad were good friends. And Vaziri's career making advice to The Rock boiled down to 2 things:

"Shut your mouth and listen, and don't be a jabroni" LOL

at least in the documentary he is very forthcoming in giving credit to The Sheik for the term, and acknowledges how it has become associated with him. The Rock tells some funny stories, apparently Vaziri and his dad were good friends. And Vaziri's career making advice to The Rock boiled down to 2 things:

"Shut your mouth and listen, and don't be a jabroni" LOL
Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to watch it.

Reactions: simons96
Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to watch it.

probably the most jolting thing (to me) about the doc is seeing "older" wrestlers being interviewed. Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Jake The Snake, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, Bret Hart, King Kong Bundy . . . they barely resemble the men we saw in the ring decades ago.

probably the most jolting thing (to me) about the doc is seeing "older" wrestlers being interviewed. Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Jake The Snake, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, Bret Hart, King Kong Bundy . . . they barely resemble the men we saw in the ring decades ago.

I will definitely check this out. I've heard The Sheik interviewed on Stern Show a couple times. He is definitely entertaining. *

I used to get the biggest kick out of "Superfly. Always looked forward to this matches. I think I'm just a little older than you are and I first watched wrestling in the heyday of Bruno (I was in elementary school and I'd watch it on channels 17 & 29 in the late 60s and early 70s). I had at least a ten year period where I didn't watch at all. I really got back into it because of Rowdy Roddy, The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff, Mr. Wonderful, Big John Stud etc... Hulk was never really my guy, but he became the sport. Of course, Andre was a superhero wrestling god. As far as villains go, Rowdy Roddy and Classy Freddy Blassie are my two favorite of all time. Piper's Pit was really entertaining and I actually looked forward to it.

Wasted a lot of Saturdays watching guys like Sheik. All my idiot buddies were into it too. I remember when Hillbilly Jim came out of the crowd and started wrestling. We talked about it for days. "That's the guy that was always in the front row at the Hamburg Field House!" No, "No way! He was at the Spectrum all the time!" Arguing about all this stuff like it mattered. But it was entertaining as hell, that's for sure.

They held a lot of matches in PA, and I recall stuff like "Dr. George Zahorian" in attendance at ringside...and "Sanctioned by the State Athletic Commission," well right there we all should have known it was crooked.

Carried The Sheik's bags to a car outside the Spectrum along w Hulkster and Ken Patera. Nice guys. Superfly killed a woman near Allentown but McMahon was able to pay off authorities to quash the investigation.....allegedly, of course.

Featured9.png
Toru.jpg

I remember many a sweaty night upstairs at the Scranton CYC watching the superstars & "ham & eggers" wrestle. It was always a hoot to see the folks who really believed that the bad guys were using hidden "weapons" to maim their opponents. The favorite "weapon" of the bad guys at the CYC was compressed orange aid cartons that were randomly tossed into the ring by irate fans! I always enjoyed Professor Toru Tanaka, especially when he would throw that " dust" into an opponents eyes, The biggest hit in Scranton was Ivan Putski with his "Polish Power" chant! And, of course, Sgt. Slaughter!

ADVERTISEMENT