ADVERTISEMENT

OT...more soccer tonight. US Mens team takes on Honduras

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
in the group round of the Gold Cup. Great ride lately for soccer in the US with the mens team being the Dutch and Germany back to back across the pond. Then the WC win by the women's team. Hopefully the US can take this competition and earn a spot in the Confederations Cup.

8:30 tonight on Fox Sports 1.

Even if they do not win the 2015 Gold Cup they will be in a playoff with this year's winner for a spot in the 2017 Confederations Cup (in Russia). Since the U.S. won the '13 Gold Cup they are guaranteed to at least be in a playoff for the Confederations Cup spot in two years. Like you said though, if they win this year's tournament then they are automatically bound for Russia.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I still say by 2018 the USA will be boycotting the WC in Russia.

Sad how few care about soccer now.

I still say by 2018 the USA will be boycotting the WC in Russia.

Sad how few care about soccer now.

Anything is possible, but the numbers in terms of ratings are not going down for the sport. In fact more and more networks are carrying the sport and various professional leagues so I'm not sure where you get the few care about the sport. I understand it's not for everyone, but the popularity isn't trending down as far as I can tell.

Reactions: LHavenlion
They should win this going away. They should be the second pick behind Germany at the Confederations cup in 2017. They have some great young talent that by 2018 should be a real contender for the WC. I know that sounds bold but Dempsey will be the old man of the group with Altidore and Bradley in their prime with rising youngsters: Brooks, Yedlin, Zardes, Morris, Wood, Garza, and Alvarado. Add in uber prospects like Zelalem. I like our chances moving forward.

Reactions: jdog1124
They should win this going away. They should be the second pick behind Germany at the Confederations cup in 2017. They have some great young talent that by 2018 should be a real contender for the WC. I know that sounds bold but Dempsey will be the old man of the group with Altidore and Bradley in their prime with rising youngsters: Brooks, Yedlin, Zardes, Morris, Wood, Garza, and Alvarado. Add in uber prospects like Zelalem. I like our chances moving forward.

What you just said above has been said for the past 12+ years in American soccer just substituting in different names. Remember Freddy Adu the wunderkid at 14 years old (of course he was probably actually more like 18 at the time but that is besides the point). Until the US soccer actually meets and exceeds expectations in the World Cup, I think most casual soccer fans have taken and wait and see, show me approach to US men's soccer.

What you just said above has been said for the past 12+ years in American soccer just substituting in different names. Remember Freddy Adu the wunderkid at 14 years old (of course he was probably actually more like 18 at the time but that is besides the point). Until the US soccer actually meets and exceeds expectations in the World Cup, I think most casual soccer fans have taken and wait and see, show me approach to US men's soccer.
I mean the guys I mentioned just help them beat stout Dutch and German sides who weren't missing many players from their "A" teams (in fact the only player the Dutch were missing was Robben). Of course if they come out and fall flat on their face in this tournament then yes it will be the same old story.

PS. Zelalem is quite a different story than Adu. He's 18 and already logged minutes with Arsenal.

I mean the guys I mentioned just help them beat stout Dutch and German sides who weren't missing many players from their "A" teams (in fact the only player the Dutch were missing was Robben). Of course if they come out and fall flat on their face in this tournament then yes it will be the same old story.

PS. Zelalem is quite a different story than Adu. He's 18 and already logged minutes with Arsenal.

I think everybody is hoping this time is different. And I think from a competition standpoint, the US appears to be playing it's best soccer ever. And if you look at their roster, it is legit with players that do compete at the highest level. All that said, until the US starts winning more consistently at the larger stage events against the world's best teams, it is all talk.

also I believe the USA is hosting the Copa America in 2016.

also I believe the USA is hosting the Copa America in 2016.
It is a centennial celebration tournament, not the confederations cup qualifying version that Chile just won. We will see if South America's best players actually play. I hope they do, would be nice to have attention on US soccer at the same time the Euros are going on.

Last edited:

Adu was overblown from the start. One footed, did not defend, and was awful in the air. This current U.S. team is pretty legit, but certainly not a top 10 team. I'm just enjoying the growth of this team and sport. The U.S. is no longer a joke in the sport which is huge compared to 20-30 years ago.

It is a centennial celebration tournament, not the confederations cup qualifying version that Chile just won. We will see if South America's best players actually play. I hope they do, would be nice to have attention on US soccer at the same time the Euros are going on.

Thanks for the clarification. I am expecting everyone to send their best as this will be the biggest stage next summer. Hoping for games in Philly, The Burgh, anywhere nearby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT