ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mirror TV in bathroom?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
We are doing a master bathroom at our house, and we have a spot where it would be perfect for a TV. My wife hasn't been thrilled with the idea, but she'd cooperative considering that we weren't putting a 65 inch monster in there. While doing some product research on line, I came across the mirror TV option. This is where the TV is placed behind the mirror and is virtually invisible until you turn on the TV. I've seen this done on various remodeling shows, but have never seen them in person. Depending on the size, they are not cheap.

My question is whether anyone has one of these or have seen them in other people's homes? Is it worth the extra money to hide the TV and is it really as seamless as they make it seem?

I've bookmarked several different manufacturers:
Hidden television
Electric Mirror
Frame my TV
MirrorVue

Do you recommend any of these or maybe others?

Also, some of them will just sell you the mirror and you can attach the TV and frame them yourself. Is this a relatively simple DIY project?

I've seen this done before....but I must ask:

Why would you want a TV in the bathroom?

We are doing a master bathroom at our house, and we have a spot where it would be perfect for a TV. My wife hasn't been thrilled with the idea, but she'd cooperative considering that we weren't putting a 65 inch monster in there. While doing some product research on line, I came across the mirror TV option. This is where the TV is placed behind the mirror and is virtually invisible until you turn on the TV. I've seen this done on various remodeling shows, but have never seen them in person. Depending on the size, they are not cheap.

My question is whether anyone has one of these or have seen them in other people's homes? Is it worth the extra money to hide the TV and is it really as seamless as they make it seem?

Hidden television
Electric Mirror
Frame my TV
MirrorVue

Also, some of them will just sell you the mirror and you can attach the TV and frame them yourself. Is this a relatively simple DIY project?
I guess this means you aren't taking that new job?:)

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Well, the interview went extremely well. There was an offer waiting in my e-mail inbox on Monday morning with a 30% salary increase. The only catch was that I would have to move this summer and not next summer as we were hoping. It would be 50% travel, so my thought was I could work out of my home as easy as the main office. My wife and I discussed the logistics (getting an apartment there while she worked in PA another year, etc.) and then then Tuesday morning she wakes me up frantically saying that she is overwhelmed. I took that as a sign to turn down the job offer. One of the difficulties in moving is that we just put on a deck last year and are committed to a master bathroom this year. Also, my wife was looking to get a new vehicle. With all of this in mind, the timing of the move wasn't right.

The silver lining was that I had interviewed for a higher level position within my present company. This wouldn't require me to move. Unfortunately, I just learned that they are offering the position to someone else.

It's a relatively large bathroom, with a soaking tub (separate walk in shower, etc.) and a gas fireplace insert. The space above the fireplace is perfect for either artwork, a mirror, or a TV. In this scenario, you can do both the TV and the mirror (or the art)

I have seen it also, but in the men's room of a restaurant. Frankly, I thought it was really cool. Just like you said Dan, it was a TV behind a mirror, and when the TV was off, no one could tell it was there. I have seriously thought about doing that same thing in my house, so that it makes the room where the TV is a bit more appealing.

What they did was have the mirror flat against the wall, and the TV was placed in an alcove behind it - it was a cut out in the wall, so that helped.

Think about the Venn diagram of "TV activities" and "bathroom with soaking tub activities." The overlap is what you want to focus on.
Hint: The answer is probably NOT so he can watch "The Dog Whisperer" while he takes a soak with his wife.
Moreover, I am guessing he does not need to watch a "how to video" on washing himself, shaving or taking a dump. Keep puzzling on it, something will come up.

Hidden television
Electric Mirror
Frame my TV
MirrorVue

how long does it take for you to poop dude? waste of money IMO.

Reactions: massimoManca II
I've seen this several times in hotels. Definitely has the cool/wow factor, but I thought it compromised the picture quality.

What they did was have the mirror flat against the wall, and the TV was placed in an alcove behind it - it was a cut out in the wall, so that helped.

Most of the companies have instructions for mounting and sell both complete units (frame, mirror, tv) or just the mirror.

It seems the less costly option is a small (21") TV in the corner of a vanity mirror. I am considering a full TV behind the mirror. It may be cost prohibitive, however.

I've never seen one, but how would the heat and humidity from showering affect it?

I've never seen one, but how would the heat and humidity from showering affect it

A couple of companies I looked at offer a defogger as an option. Another DIY page I saw included sealing the mirror to the TV via silicone caulk. So, I think it's a consideration across the board, but maybe difference ways to resolve the problem.

I've seen this done before....but I must ask:

Speaking only for myself, I can't tell you how many times I've sat in pain, with my bladder about to burst, or my guts ready to explode, because I didn't want to miss part of a game, or a TV show. With this option, you have none of that crap....well, you may, but you know what I mean.

Speaking only for myself, I can't tell you how many times I've sat in pain, with my bladder about to burst, or my guts ready to explode, because I didn't want to miss part of a game, or a TV show. With this option, you have none of that crap....well, you may, but you know what I mean.
Right...that's why God made a DVR.

Right...that's why God made a DVR.
Now wait a minute 04. Penn State is playing Ohio State with a minute left. We're down 6 but driving and are at the OSU 23 with no time outs, but the meatballs I had an hour ago and making my guts feel like I'm in labor. My guts won't wait for the game to end. You want me to DVR? Sorry, but if I don't have one of these bathroom TV's, I'll be needing a new set of pants and maybe a new carpet.

Yes, hit pause on the DVR.

It'll take you longer to run to the bathroom, turn the TV on and pick up.....the action.....than it would to just hit pause on the DVR and simply resume when you're done doing your business.

To be honest, this isn't for bathroom breaks while watching sports or other TV. It's so I can have the news/weather/sportscenter on while getting ready for work, or for watching whatever while relaxing in the tub.

It's not a must have, but it will be a nice feature for our new master bath. The more I talk about it, the more excited I get. Maybe this will convince me to take more baths...

A TV in a master bathroom is a must. I've had one mounted on my wall with a swivel for 12 years. Can't imagine getting ready for work without it. The wife loves it too.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Yes, hit pause on the DVR.

It'll take you longer to run to the bathroom, turn the TV on and pick up.....the action.....than it would to just hit pause on the DVR and simply resume when you're done doing your business.
Maybe, but I like the idea of telling the wife, "honey, put the game on in the bathroom" and then sitting on the throne and watching the ending live.

I think you should hook up this mirror TV to the internet so you can watch the PSU game, get on BWI and post about it while sitting on the toilet..

Clearly, an opportunity for multi tasking

Just think of how amazing topic view in this format would look on a 32" 1080p LED HDTV screen you sit on the crapper.

Reactions: TPSU_Lion
I think you should hook up this mirror TV to the internet

One company does offer art as an alternative to a mirror. It seems to be almost like a screen saver that disappears when you turn on the TV. I guess the pictures of the girl on the couch would count as art in my book...

A TV in a master bathroom is a must. I've had one mounted on my wall with a swivel for 12 years. Can't imagine getting ready for work without it. The wife loves it too.

yeah, it must take a while to put on all that makeup..

I suspect with some appropriate 2-way mirror glass this wouldn't be to too difficult to do - if you think you're handy enough to do some framing. The issue would be if you wanted to inset the TV into the wall, also generally the TVs need some air circulation for cooling - you'd want to take into consideration where the vents and the speakers on the TV are.

For a small TV, I don't think this would be too difficult of a project and the glass itself shouldn't cost much.

We did it in a couple houses that we did. Basically, frame and rock a box for the tv to sit in allowing for a little extra space for airflow. Then hang a mirror with two way glass over the front of the box. The box needs to contain power and cable access. Customers loved it in front of a soaking tub.

ADVERTISEMENT