ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Like clockwork in DMV, first high school graduation and then a deadly car crash.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
It happens every damn year. This year it's two dead (one was going to Penn State) and the star quarterback in critical condition, drinking party, drunk driving, not belted in, three lives ruined, their families devastated. It happens very damn year in Montgomery County.

There's no real need to click the link as this is a familiar story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...33443a-1be3-11e5-ab92-c75ae6ab94b5_story.html

Last edited:
It happens every damn year. This year it's two dead (one was going to Penn State) and the star quarterback in critical condition, drinking party, drunk driving, not belted in, three lives ruined, their families devastated. It happens very damn year in Montgomery County.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...33443a-1be3-11e5-ab92-c75ae6ab94b5_story.html

If this is the same incident that I read about a few days ago, parents were present in the home of the party.

One of the biggest fears of most parents is drinking and driving. In general, most 18-year-olds are terrible drivers even when sober. You add alcohol to the picture, and their poor driving technique becomes even worse.

Reactions: TheGLOV
One of the biggest fears of most parents is drinking and driving. In general, most 18-year-olds are terrible drivers even when sober. You add alcohol to the picture, and their poor driving technique becomes even worse.
Tom, you have no idea how much comfort I get from the fact that my 20 and 21 yo daughters do not drink (their own decisions, I had nothing to do with it). Really. I worry about them enough as it is.

Reactions: PSJimbo
Awful story. Kids could have been sober and great drivers and just the pace and craziness of the DC traffic could lead to this. Awful drivers all around the area.

In our area, I was appalled at how loosely the alcohol was controlled at high school graduation parties, and every year there is a bad accident around here, as well. Some parents are just plain stupid.

Tom, you have no idea how much comfort I get from the fact that my 20 and 21 yo daughters do not drink (their own decisions, I had nothing to do with it). Really. I worry about them enough as it is.

Your fear should be who's driving. Instill in them the role of designated driver. Make sure they realize it's COOL to be the DD....Designated Driver

This is a snapshot why I advocate MANDATORY community service in order to obtain a high school diploma. Kids must see 1) jails; 2) hospitals; 3) nursing homes.

It must be instilled early on in their life. At my age and what I've seen, I wONT even get on a ladder without necessary safety precautions.

Due to HIPAA, I can't share stories. Just know, if you can imagine it, I've seen it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/two-people-died-in-a-car-crash-2-others-suffer-serious-injury-in-montgomery-county/2015/06/26/ea33443a-1be3-11e5-ab92-c75ae6ab94b5_story.html

It happens here in Denver also. Post prom, graduations, etc. The speed limit on I-25 here in the region is 75 mph, so cars go 85 mph or faster. You have split seconds to make decisions in reaction to other motorists. I leave room between me and the car in front which is an invitation for other motorists to fill the gap to get one more car length ahead. Teen drivers seldom have the experience to anticipate other motorists behavior. I can sense when a vehicle in the left lane of a two lane highway is looking for the opportunity to cut in. Teen drivers may not have that experience. or they are the ones looking to cut in. It is sad to see lives so short lived when the future is in front of them. It is even sadder to hear of adults doing nothing when teens are drinking and driving.

Any adult that holds, or is aware of, a party with underage drinking on their premises is putting their own future, and the lives of others, in the hands of intoxicated teenagers. That is a risk I would never take.

Kids just think they're invincible--it's so sad.

Not drinking related, but there was just a case in Benton, PA that a senior to be was killed in a horrific crash. She was driving too fast to meet her mom for dinner on a rural country road. She lost control and hit a tree--the impact was so strong that it literally broke the minivan she was driving into two pieces.

It's such a tragic situation to see someone lose their life when in fact they have their whole life in front of them.

I am appalled at the number of parents who take a poor attitude towards their kids drinking and recreational drug use and driving.
Same here.

When I was young, a friend's mother used to let us drink (and stuff) at her house. Looking back, it probably wasn't smart on her part. But, every time we did, even if it was just one beer, she'd take our keys and make us stay the night.

ADVERTISEMENT