ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lemon Law question

bplionfan

Jul 1, 2014
I received an offer from my attorney to settle my Lemon Law case for basically what I paid for my vehicle minus a small mileage deduction and the balance on my loan. My attorney says that is standard. I think for all of the trouble I have been put thru, there should be something offered to me over that amount. The attorney said that is not the case in Lemon Law cases. The attorney fees are paid for by the auto company. I have no idea what those fees are. I am wondering if the attorney receives a certain amount as an offer and instead of possibly passing additional onto me, they take that amount for themselves?

I received an offer from my attorney to settle my Lemon Law case for basically what I paid for my vehicle minus a small mileage deduction and the balance on my loan. My attorney says that is standard. I think for all of the trouble I have been put thru, there should be something offered to me over that amount. The attorney said that is not the case in Lemon Law cases. The attorney fees are paid for by the auto company. I have no idea what those fees are. I am wondering if the attorney receives a certain amount as an offer and instead of possibly passing additional onto me, they take that amount for themselves?
Not if they want to continue practicing law.

First off, what state? Do you have a copy of the lemon law? If not, get one asap. Then you can make a more informed decision. Lemon laws vary widely by state.

First off, what state? Do you have a copy of the lemon law? If not, get one asap. Then you can make a more informed decision. Lemon laws vary widely by state.

I am in PA http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/automotive-law/lemon-law.php I essentially won my Lemon Law case by Chrysler offering to buy back my jeep and not take it to court. So what I am asking is related to the award Chrysler is offering to pay to the me and the attorney. I haven't been able to find much relating to how dividing the award goes for settlement. The attorney is figuring out how much I have into the jeep at purchase minus mileage deduction and what I owe on the loan as my award. For example. say the award/offer is 30k from Chrysler. Out of that 30K, the attorney in paying me all of my purchase costs of say $23K, then they get the left over 7K. I can tell you the attorney didn't need to do a whole lot of work, so I just want to make sure that the attorney is only getting what they have put into this with their time. Should the attorney provide me with all of the paperwork regarding settlement offer from Chrysler?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT