ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hinkie's trade w/ the Kings is criminal

wbcincy

Apr 4, 2003
Columbus
So the 76ers take on a couple contracts for a couple years, and in return they get: (1) last year's #8 overall pick, who definitely struggled, but still has plenty of potential, (2) a future protected 1st round pick, and (3) the right to swap 1st rounders in two future drafts, likely around the time the 76ers are finally really good and picking late while the Kings of course are still terrible and pick early.

So much for the rest of the league having caught up to Hinkie.

Hinkie is a wizard. I am excited to see this team this year, they will still be a lottery team and likely still a high lottery team, but they probably have the brightest future of any team in the NBA save for the Timberwolves.

With all of the first round picks they now have, it gives them a lot of ammunition to trade up the next few drafts.

So the 76ers take on a couple contracts for a couple years, and in return they get: (1) last year's #8 overall pick, who definitely struggled, but still has plenty of potential, (2) a future protected 1st round pick, and (3) the right to swap 1st rounders in two future drafts, likely around the time the 76ers are finally really good and picking late while the Kings of course are still terrible and pick early.

So much for the rest of the league having caught up to Hinkie.

The 76ers gave up remarkably little, two Euros who were picked 47th and 60th. I'm not a huge Stauskas fan, but this still looks like a steal for the 76ers and a puzzler for Sacramento.

Now I'm seeing some reports that the Kings may bounce George Karl and go for John Calipari.

Very strange. Makes no sense on the surface other than a pure salary dump at any costs. Basically Sacramento giving up two first round picks (Stauskas and the protected pick) and the right to swap picks for two second round guys and taking on some salary.

Hinkie is a wizard. I am excited to see this team this year, they will still be a lottery team and likely still a high lottery team, but they probably have the brightest future of any team in the NBA save for the Timberwolves.

With all of the first round picks they now have, it gives them a lot of ammunition to trade up the next few drafts.

My question is with 3-4 first rounders next year, the right to swap places with the Kings in the next 2 drafts and some additional young pieces set to come online (Embiid, Stauskas, Saric), at what point do people see the Sixers as having THE MOST future potential in the NBA?

The sheer number of incoming picks and promising young players is kind of mind boggling. If half of them work out, then the Sixers are on a great path.

Stauskas shot 42% from 3 after the all star break last season. Great guy to take a flyer on. Took someone like Kyle Korver some time before he figured out how to hit his shots in the NBA.

Very strange. Makes no sense on the surface other than a pure salary dump at any costs. Basically Sacramento giving up two first round picks (Stauskas and the protected pick) and the right to swap picks for two second round guys and taking on some salary.
Salary dump for sure. Hinkie has been using this tactic for the last few years. The Kings are trying to clear space to sign a FA like Rondo.
This is one of the more ridiculous trades Hinkie has made. Now I'll be rooting against LA, OKC, and Sac next year.

Reactions: bwifan
Salary dump for sure. Hinkie has been using this tactic for the last few years. The Kings are trying to clear space to sign a FA like Rondo.
This is one of the more ridiculous trades Hinkie has made. Now I'll be rooting against LA, OKC, and Sac next year.

I was laughing with a friend today that the BEST CASE scenario for the Kings is they end up as last year's Mavs playoff team.... That's best case, if they somehow signed Ellis and Rondo. I'd just give up on hoops if I were Kings fan. Move 'em back to the 'Nati!

ADVERTISEMENT