ADVERTISEMENT

OT/FC: Game of Thrones S5E7 Discussion - ***SPOILERS***

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Not as much time as I'd like to do a deep dive on this most recent episode (which as a big step up from the Ramsay awfulness the week before), but wanted to highlight a few developments and see what everyone else thinks or is thinking....SPOILERS follow:

The Wall - Jon Snow makes good on his word to travel with Giantsbane to the wildling holdout to help persuade them to travel south of the Wall for winter (this seems like a pretty bad idea). Sam is getting nervous because with Jon's departure and the (shocking!) death of Maester Aemon (anyone else on this show died of old age??), as noted, he doesn't have many friends left at the Wall. Thankfully, one of them is Ghost and he helps Sam fend off a couple of rape-minded Nightswatchmen who had their sights set on Gilly. Gilly shows her appreciation by popping Sam's cherry, so good for Sam! Also, getting more and more obvious that Sam and Gilly need to get the hell out of dodge and soon.

Ghost_5x07.png

Winterfell - Things seem to be worse for Sansa (as if that's possible) as she's looking beaten and bruised while being kept locked up all day by Ramsey (what a liar that guy is!). Reek brings her food and she tries to get him to help her by having him light a candle in the tower (the Brienne Batsignal as it were). Some clever misdirection here by the directors have us think he's going to do it, only to have him spill her secret to Ramsay. Ramsay responds by having Sansa join him on a nice little walk where she gets in a dig about Ramsay's bastard lineage and soon to be highborn little brother and how that could mess up Ramsay's Warden of the North dreams before he shows Sansa the flayed body of her kind old lady friend. Sansa's tune changes pretty quick here. Thankfully, the old lady held out and Ramsay is unaware that Brienne sits but miles away...

tumblr_np1nxcIB4Y1rlitzfo1_1280.jpg

Stannis' Camp - Stannis and his army march south to Winterfell but, WINTER IS COMING! FOR REALS!, and the weather is making for a bad situation - horses are dying and sellswords are deserting. Ser Davos suggests returning to The Wall to wait things out, but given winters in Westeros last for years, Stannis is having none of that - he's moving forward win or lose. Davos takes off and Stannis goes to Melisandre for advice (and maybe some loving), but her plan isn't well received - she wants to sacrifice Stannis's daughter to the Lord of Light to ensure victory. He tells her to bugger off. Unfortunately, Melisandre is almost always right about things - will Stannis change his mind?

tumblr_nozcs6Y5fZ1r9pdiyo1_500.jpg

Dorne - Jaime Lannister is in the nicest prison ever and gets a visit from his niece/daughter Mrycella. She's in typical angsty teenager mode here, though is mostly right - she was shipped off and didn't want to be, and now that she's there and happy, they want to ship her off again. She says she's marrying Trystan and that is that. Jaime goes back to looking out the window. Meanwhile, we get to hear the rest of Bronn's Dornish Woman song (and it's awesome) while the Sand Snakes look on in an adjacent cell. Some snappy comments between the two happen and Tyenne Sand, the gorgeous short haired one, asks Bronn how he's feeling. He says fine, but it becomes obvious, and then super obvious, after Tyenne tells him her daggers were laced with poison and that he's in for a pretty slow death. She speeds things up by getting his blood to rush while showing off her, um, Dornish goods. Turns out she thinks he's pretty cute and a decent singer and offers him the antidote around her neck (after she forces him to admit she's the most beautiful woman in the world - and he probably wasn't lying). The Sand Snakes in this scene, especially Tyenne, more than make up for their somewhat sloppy first appearances. They seem funny and better developed. Maybe they have a future as Bronn's back up singers??

tumblr_nox44cbhlM1uryyzpo4_500.png

Mereen - Those wondering how long it would take Tyrion to get to Mereen to meet Danaerys found out this week - not very long! We see Jorah and Tyrion sold into slavery (Tyrion's beat down of the slaver was hilarious) and headed off to Mereen. Meanwhile, after some no nude (in her contract!) loving from Daario, Dany gets a bit of advice from him - kill all the remaining masters. She's shocked and isn't having any of it but like Melisandre, Daario is usually spot on with his recommendations. We next see Dany and her future husband to be taking in a pretty disorganized lower circuit pit fight. She's sort of disgusted and ready to go, when Jorah, upon hearing that she is there, joins the fight and cleans house (without actually killing anyone). Dany seems more disgusted by Jorah than by the bloody mess, and orders him out of her sight, until he proclaims he has a 'gift' for her. And he shows her when Tyrion walks out and introduces himself. And what a great scene - so awesome to see these two together.

khalessiplease.png

King's Landing - Tommen is pretty pissed that Margaery is locked up (I would be too!) and has a conversation with his mother about exactly how mad he is and what he's going to do about it. Cersei is great here and truly does love her children, and while Tommen doesn't exactly know that she really would burn cities to the ground for them, he buys into her offer to help Margaery. Of course, Cersei gets to Margaery's cell and torments her a bit before leaving, smug knowing she's going to take the Tyrell's down (another questionable move given they provide a good bit of finance and food for the King's army). This backfires a bit though since Littlefinger passed on a bit of knowledge about Lancel Lannister to the Queen of Thornes, Olenna Tyrell, which she used to turn the tables on Cersei. Thus, Cersei is locked up for her own various crimes (incest, regicide, etc.) and we now see why Olenna is so feared. My big gripe here though is this - if Lancel has been with the Sparrow's cult for some time, wouldn't the High Sparrow know of Cersei's misgivings a while ago? Why would what Olenna told him be a shock? In any case, I think things for Cersei just got seriously bad.

game-fo-thrones-cersei.jpg

Okay, what did everyone else think? Three episodes left, and we typically get our 'biggie' in episode nine. Where are we going from here? War in Winterfell? Jon's trip to Hardhome? Arya finishes her training? Tyrion and Dany have a meeting of minds? What happens to Jaime? Will Brienne save Sansa? Lots of plotlines to tie up in three episodes. Looking forward to them though!

Reactions: WeR0206
I'm not 100% sure the boy Littlefinger promised Olenna is Lancel. This may also be misdirection since the scenes were so close together. I think the High Sparrow knew before and was waiting for the right time for Cersei (ie. after she armed him and let her guard down thinking he would do her bidding, when as you see from his interaction with the Queen of Thorns, his motives are different than most). Also, the show is usually pretty careful about keeping info between parties or at least indicating how others found information out. I know LF has little birdies everywhere, but I thought only Tyrion and Bronn knew about Cersei/Lancel. Littlefinger's gift of a boy to Olenna may be (the removal of) the witness in the trial against Loras/Margaery who used to work in Littlefinger's brothel.

Reactions: wbcincy and cronk
I'm not 100% sure the boy Littlefinger promised Olenna is Lancel. This may also be misdirection since the scenes were so close together. I think the High Sparrow knew before and was waiting for the right time for Cersei (ie. after she armed him and let her guard down thinking he would do her bidding, when as you see from his interaction with the Queen of Thorns, his motives are different than most). Also, the show is usually pretty careful about keeping info between parties or at least indicating how others found information out. I know LF has little birdies everywhere, but I thought only Tyrion and Bronn knew about Cersei/Lancel. Littlefinger's gift of a boy to Olenna may be (the removal of) the witness in the trial against Loras/Margaery who used to work in Littlefinger's brothel.

Good point about Littlefinger offing the one witness; that would get Loras and Margaery off the hook. Also, I am 100% sure that Lancel is the boy trotted out by the High Sparrow, and it's been confirmed by every re-cap I've read. He has two big things on Cersei - incest (with him and Jaime) and regicide (they plotted together to kill Robert).

Midnighter: Can't recall. Was Lancel in on the plotting to kill Robert?

Yes, though I didn't realize it until this season when they showed the scene of him in the woods accompanying Robert on his hunting trip. I believe Cersei slept with Lancel in exchange for him poisoning Robert's wine while on the hunt.

Good point about Littlefinger offing the one witness; that would get Loras and Margaery off the hook. Also, I am 100% sure that Lancel is the boy trotted out by the High Sparrow, and it's been confirmed by every re-cap I've read. He has two big things on Cersei - incest (with him and Jaime) and regicide (they plotted together to kill Robert).

Yes, I know it was Lancel trotted out by the High Sparrow. I'm saying that I'm not sure that was related in any way to Littlefinger's conversation with Olenna.

LOL. Coin of the realm.
High sparrow told Cersei that Lancel had a lot to say about Cersei as he put himself back together in care of the sparrows. Seems High sparrow was just waiting for the right opportunity. I don't think it had anything to do with Littlefinger. It is funny that the sparrows have been given carte blanche in Kings Landing.

The premonition at the beginning was that Cersei would outlive her children. Do both die this season?

Should be interesting what Tyrion will say to Klaheesi. Where is Varys?

I know the next episode will be a lot of Jon at Hardhome and probably some surprise visitors but I would pay extra for an entire 60 minutes of just Dany and Tyrion. Tyrion advising Dany is too perfect bit I'm interested to see how it plays out. She usually hears people out but she has to have a deep hatred of that Lannister name. Pumped for some dragon in episode 9.

High sparrow told Cersei that Lancel had a lot to say about Cersei as he put himself back together in care of the sparrows. Seems High sparrow was just waiting for the right opportunity. I don't think it had anything to do with Littlefinger. It is funny that the sparrows have been given carte blanche in Kings Landing.

The premonition at the beginning was that Cersei would outlive her children. Do both die this season?

Should be interesting what Tyrion will say to Klaheesi. Where is Varys?

My guess is Varys will show up at Mereen without any issue or fuss - like he's always been there. Cersei seems to finally have outsmarted herself though - she put the Sparrows in power, and even she's not above their law. I wonder how long before Tommen destroys them? He may want to wait until they're finished with Cersei though...

I've loved every minute of Jerah and Tyrion together, and I'm hopeful we get plenty of time w/ Tyrion, Jerah and Dany. Just no way for every scene not to be great. I'd watch a spinoff of the 3 of them governing Mereen.

Glad to Cersei getting hers. If this doesn't cause Tommen to send in the Lannister army to rescue them and slaughter these guys, then its inconceivable that someone wouldnt just kill Tommen and take the throne. If that's his level of weakness and timidity, he wouldn't last 15 minutes w/o Cersei around.

Finally, I hate to go negative again this week on a show I love so much, but my thoughts on what Stannis will do, and what will become of Jon Snow go hand-in-hand with the Sansa storyline. This show has gone from "wow you never know what to expect, even the biggest characters aren't safe!" to "of course the worst possible thing will happen to the best people, because that's all it ever does." So I never had the slightest belief Reek was going to send the signal for Brienne. And I have no doubt things will go horribly for Jon Snow with the Wildlings and he'll likely die. And Stannis will end up sacrificing daughter. Because of course. It seems to me that what felt like complete unpredictability from this show early on has now become entirely predictable. The worst will happen. For the plot is dark and full of terrors.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
My guess is Varys will show up at Mereen without any issue or fuss - like he's always been there.

I hope so, he brings a lot to the show. He certainly isn't going back to King's Landing anytime soon. Although he said he works for the greater good of the realm, I think he's a pro-Targ supporter deep down. He warned the Mad King not to let Tywin into King's Landing at the end of the Robert's Rebellion and I think he still has allegiance to that regime.

I hope the hell they don't kill off Jon Snow. There are so many theories about his "real" mother and father and pretty much everybody has narrowed it down to who they think they are, but I hope he lives on and that is eventually cleared up. He deserves so much more when you account for how poorly he was treated by Catelyn for much of his life. Having said all of that, he will be killed off by seasons end just to piss me off.

I hope the hell they don't kill off Jon Snow. There are so many theories about his "real" mother and father and pretty much everybody has narrowed it down to who they think they are, but I hope he lives on and that is eventually cleared up. He deserves so much more when you account for how poorly he was treated by Catelyn for much of his life. Having said all of that, he will be killed off by seasons end just to piss me off.

:rolleyes:

That's all I'm saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT