ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anybody use a VPN to bypass MLB blackout rules?

Husky

May 29, 2001
I live in the Jacksonville, Florida area and subscribe to MLB to watch the Yankees and Mets games. Annual cost is well over $100. Most of the times, this works out great. However, due to MLB blackout rules, whenever the Yanks or Mets are playing the Rays or the Marlins, the games are blacked out in my area by MLB. Both the Rays and the Marlins claim Jacksonville -- and indeed, perhaps the whole State, I believe -- as their market, thus allowing them to set the blackout rules. The Yanks are playing the Rays in a 4 games series beginning tomorrow, and much to my chagrin, I will be unable to watch any of the games on MLB.

Someone suggested a workaround is to subscribe to a VPN, then choose and out of state address. Thoughts? Does this work? Are there other workarounds? Thanks.

I don't know if MLB (or their media partner) does it but services like Netflix block most/all of the common VPN providers so that you cannot place shift with them to bypass geographical restrictions.

Perhaps Google has some answers on that?

Thanks, Delco. Google is your friend. Historically, when reading some of these posts, I used to say to myself "paragraphs are your friend." I need to amend that to "Google and paragraphs are your friends."

Thanks, all.
I don't know if MLB (or their media partner) does it but services like Netflix block most/all of the common VPN providers so that you cannot place shift with them to bypass geographical restrictions.

Perhaps Google has some answers on that?
Thanks, Slykens. Looks like Delco with the answer.

I live in the Jacksonville, Florida area and subscribe to MLB to watch the Yankees and Mets games. Annual cost is well over $100. Most of the times, this works out great. However, due to MLB blackout rules, whenever the Yanks or Mets are playing the Rays or the Marlins, the games are blacked out in my area by MLB. Both the Rays and the Marlins claim Jacksonville -- and indeed, perhaps the whole State, I believe -- as their market, thus allowing them to set the blackout rules. The Yanks are playing the Rays in a 4 games series beginning tomorrow, and much to my chagrin, I will be unable to watch any of the games on MLB.

Someone suggested a workaround is to subscribe to a VPN, then choose and out of state address. Thoughts? Does this work? Are there other workarounds? Thanks.
I buy the Padres package and in Williamsport I get blacked out by Phillies, Pirates, Yankees and Mets. The o ly good news is usually the philles and pirates air the games....the two NY teams not so much.

Buffalo is 375 miles from NYC but if you live there you can't watch the Yankees with a MLB subscription. The whole state is blacked out.

I've used a VPN and watched on my phone but I'm not sure if you can do that on a TV.

Buffalo is 375 miles from NYC but if you live there you can't watch the Yankees with a MLB subscription. The whole state is blacked out.

I've used a VPN and watched on my phone but I'm not sure if you can do that on a TV.
bdgan, if you don't mind, which VPN service are you using. thanks.

That’s crazy. I thought blackout rules were established to drive attendance to games. How many people are hopping in their car in Buffalo to drive to the Bronx for a game???
Exactly, I think it impacts attendance at the margin. Although I believe some teams like the Cardinals draw from all over their geographic area, If they need to have it, it should be 50 miles max.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT