ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone seen movie "Love and Mercy" about Brian Wilson?

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
Getting great reviews. Beach Boys music is very nostalgic for me. Also, I recently heard a replay on NPR's "Fresh Air" of the host Terry Gross's interview with Brian Wilson many years ago. He's an interesting character. I want to see the movie and am interested in the thoughts from anyone who has seen it.

Last edited:
have tried 2 times -- once it was sold out, and the other time I couldn't fit it into my schedule. I'll get to it in the next week or so, and post a review.

Saw it and loved it. Thought Paul Dano who played Brian as younger man was excellent. John Cusack as older Brian was good, but I had harder time not seeing John Cusack acting as Brian.

Reactions: jjsocrates
Getting great reviews. Beach Boys music is very nostalgic for me. Also, I recently heard a replay on NPR's "Fresh Air" of the host Terry Gross's interview with Brian Wilson many years ago. He's an interesting character. I want to see the movie and am interested in the thoughts from anyone who has seen it.
Outstanding story and recreation of the creative process. Should be in line for some academy awards.

Looking forward to seeing it. On a related note, someone posted some clips on YouTube of Phil Spector's studio sessions with Tina Tuner recording "River Deep, Mountain High." Some good stuff. Supposedly, Spector paid Ike to stay away from the studio.

I saw it last Friday and I really, really loved it. Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of the Beach Boys, specifically Pet Sounds, so that didn't hurt.

Paul Dano was short of amazing. Looked, sounded the part and was completely believable, likable and sympathetic.

John Cusack didn't LOOK the part, but it didn't matter - he was great as well.

Paul Giamatti - well, if you need him to play someone to loathe, he delivers.

Elizabeth Banks - um, this woman is 40??? She was great. Just beautiful, but probably one of her best dramatic roles I've seen since Seabiscuit.

The MUSIC was great. Lots of Beach Boys songs - both actual and sung by Paul Dano.

You really come out of this movie with so much sympathy (love/mercy) and respect for Brian Wilson. And you realize what a dick that Mike Love is.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
Saw it 2nite. I could give a long review, but NovaPSULuvr and jjsocrates did a pretty good job.

It's a little confusing at first, in that it bounces back and forth between two stories: Brian's issues with his dad and his band mates in his early days, and Brian's issues with Dr. Eugene Landy in his later years. It takes a little bit of time to get comfortable with the story technique, but once you do the constant juxtapositions make sense.

Paul Dano absolutely nails the young Brian. John Cusack does a nice job as the older Brian, but the movie would have been better served with an actor that you wouldn't recognize.

Jake Abel looks very much like Mike Love, and plays him to a T. Paul Giamatti does a great job as Dr. Eugene Landy.

Elizabeth Banks deserves special mention for her performance as Melinda Ledbetter. To answer the earlier post, she's 41, and is absolutely smoking. (What would you expect from a lady that was a Tri Delt in college?) She's super easy on the eyes, and very convincing in her role.

I think it helps if you have some knowledge about Brian Wilson, or about the Beach Boys, before entering the theatre.

And I'd concur with a couple of folks that mentioned the recording scenes from the Pet Sounds record -- they were excellent.

And to avoid the flag, below is a pic of Elizabeth Banks.

I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars, meaning it's a movie I would recommend to family and friends.

182376.jpg

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT