ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone else think that a "Happy Memorial Day" greeting is inappropriate?

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
After all, the purpose of the day is to honor our war dead. (Veteran's Day is devoted to all who have served. )

It drives me nuts when I hear someone say, "Be sure to wish all veterans a happy Memorial Day." I have all the respect in the world for our veterans but as you say the day is meant to to honor those who are no longer here.

"and the pursuit of happiness." Right there in our constitution. Our soldiers, alive and dead, are supposed to fight for that. I'd like to think they would be pleased with the Holiday greeting. Seems you want a more glum affair.

"and the pursuit of happiness." Right there in our constitution.

Shame, shame, shame.

Your comment is a mistake that many make, and it drives historians crazy.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" (bold added by me). That is the 2nd sentence in the Declaration of Independence, not a phrase or sentence that is contained in the Constitution. Neither "pursuit" nor "happiness" are found anywhere in the US Constitution.

Shame, shame, shame.

Your comment is a mistake that many make, and it drives historians crazy.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" (bold added by me). That is the 2nd sentence in the Declaration of Independence, not a phrase or sentence that is contained in the Constitution. Neither "pursuit" nor "happiness" are found anywhere in the US Constitution.
I'm banished from American history as of now!

I had this very conversation a week or so ago. Colleague was getting married. Everyone exclaimed, "Congratulations!"

Well, it's not like winning the lottery, graduating med school, or buying a home. All are "congratulations."

Getting married isn't a congratulations UNLESS you've been trying for 20 years and FINALLY achieved it. lol.

So, I think our vocabulary just lacks an appropriate word for marriage.

And, to your point, I think we lack a word to celebrate Memorial Day, too.

I had this very conversation a week or so ago. Colleague was getting married. Everyone exclaimed, "Congratulations!"

Well, it's not like winning the lottery, graduating med school, or buying a home. All are "congratulations."

Getting married isn't a congratulations UNLESS you've been trying for 20 years and FINALLY achieved it. lol.

So, I think our vocabulary just lacks an appropriate word for marriage.

And, to your point, I think we lack a word to celebrate Memorial Day, too.

Technically, the definition of congratulations is "good wishes on a special occasion" so I'd say its correct.

I'm a veteran and "happy" is just fine with me. The label or how you say it isn't the point....it's how you celebrate it that matters to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT