ADVERTISEMENT

OT: a very detailed look at the Battle of Trafalgar

I was thinking about this just the other day
I mean one of the first things on my mind every morning is ol' Horatio! I actually love the study of history, just not enough to post something about it on a football board.

I mean one of the first things on my mind every morning is ol' Horatio! I actually love the study of history, just not enough to post something about it on a football board.
The OP appropriately utilized the notation that it was "OT" or "off topic" so that is all cool. I just had to laugh because it was so random. I love history and will look it over when I get a chance but, again, was so random.

People are complaining there is very little activity on the board. Try to add something interesting during the boring off season and people complain.

What a terrible world we live in 😿

Of the 40+ threads on the first page only fifteen are about football. And only six of the top twenty six are about football and were started in the last week.

So would you happy having one new thread per day?

Of the 40+ threads on the first page only fifteen are about football. And only six of the top twenty six are about football and were started in the last week.

So would you happy having one new thread per day?
You keep posting interesting stuff. There is a reason why they don't build statues of critics.

tumblr_nyk9lydsVz1u8fhqgo1_500.gif

Some amazing and gory details…

As they were preparing for battle the captain of one ship ordered bags of sand brought up from below. A sailor that had never been in battle asked an old salt why the sand was brought up. The old guy told him that the decks get very slippery when covered with all the blood and the sand is for traction.

Things they don’t teach in high school history classes….🤢

As they were preparing for battle the captain of one ship ordered bags of sand brought up from below. A sailor that had never been in battle asked an old salt why the sand was brought up. The old guy told him that the decks get very slippery when covered with all the blood and the sand is for traction.

At Gettysburg, they drilled holes in the wood floor so the blood would drain to the area below and it wasn't as slippery. This was before scientists discovered the idea of germs and viruses so they just plopped a poor soldier on the table, had him bite on a piece of leather and cut off his wounded appendage. They also threw the appendage out the window to keep it out of the way.

Crazy stuff.

At Gettysburg, they drilled holes in the wood floor so the blood would drain to the area below and it wasn't as slippery. This was before scientists discovered the idea of germs and viruses so they just plopped a poor soldier on the table, had him bite on a piece of leather and cut off his wounded appendage. They also threw the appendage out the window to keep it out of the way.

Crazy stuff.
And that was just the surgical room. This was each and every ship!

People are complaining there is very little activity on the board. Try to add something interesting during the boring off season and people complain.

What a terrible world we live in 😿

I'm game, Spin. Love military history. We used to have some lively debates here back in the day on Civil War battles and the Civil War in general. As for Trafalgar, it was a monumental Brit victory and ranks as one of the most important naval battles in history.

You know, being of Irish heritage, there's a part of me that has a hard time forgiving the Brits for the brutality they inflicted on my people. Yet I have to hand it to them: the military they employed to establish and maintain a global empire was tough...and their Navy was its most formidable component, ruling the waves for over 300 years.

Moreover, rumor has it that most of the Founders of our nation traced their lineage in Brit direction. In any case, it's amazing that we ended up defeating superior Brit forces with an outclassed rag-tag colonial army (and navy), but honestly, I don't think the Royal heart was ever really in the fight.

For the best cinematic (if distinctly propagandistic) insights on how and why our victory happened, I would recommend Mel Gibson's The Patriot and Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans. Both are fantastic movies that feature Brit armies getting their asses kicked.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Well, this is way more interesting than A’s vs Pirates.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
A sea battle that changed the course of history two centuries ago. Over sixty ships engaged. Half eventually sunk. 5,000 men killed. And the death of Admiral Horatio Nelson.

The details are amazing for such a chaotic battle from so long ago.

I really like Drachnifel videos. Battleship New Jersey also puts together some interesting videos. Don't know too much about this guy, but I found his video on the 77th infantry division from WW2 to be highly entertaining.

Reactions: Ward Hog
Trafalgar prevented the invasion of England but Copenhagen and definitely Alexandra(Aboukir Bay) were just as important. Alexandra stranded an entire French army in Egypt and prevented a threat to India. That a time when Napoleon was at his height. Nelson did a lot in a short time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT