ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Qualifier in Istanbul, 5/9-12

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
@zzs006 Here's a head start for you -- a list of the likely competition for Zain and Spencer:

It's just a list with some credentials, but not an analysis of who the biggest obstacles will be. (Zain and Spencer might be the biggest obstacles to everyone else.)

984fe792d9e55f7b8eaf0fc64d1da9a20036a3bd285fc88cf22d90573ab0fd3c_1.jpg

In the interest of reducing posts asking for this information, can the OP include session times and TV/listening information. It would also be helpful to include bracket info now rather than wait until the event is only a couple days out. Blaming a lack of bracket info today on the organizer is lame. Be better. Also, and since this is in Turkey, there may be some final results prior to the tournament if you know what I mean, and you do know what I mean. So please post them here too.

Sorry - a little Mudflap humor there.

Some obvious sarc in there, so beware.

• Haha
Reactions: bourbon n blues
He ain't beating the version of Spencer at OTTs, especially in freestyle.
One good roll through and we will learn Spencer was injured.

Which does raise a question. If Ramos were to hit the magic roll through in the semis, does Spencer lower himself to wrestling in the conscis for 3rd?

Reactions: ccdiver
He ain't beating the version of Spencer at OTTs, especially in freestyle.
I'd pick Lee but their history says it's not that automatic.

In the dual, Ramos got a takedown on a go behind, and later threw Lee to his back with double overs -- that might have been a pin in free.

In the NCAA semis, he doubled Lee to his back, and hit a head pinch earlier at the end of the 1st that Lee rolled thru for no score in folk, would've been 4 in free. (And then the famous 3rd period head pinch.)

OTOH, we don't know if Ramos can defend Lee's laces and guts.

Also, Ramos is just as likely to lose before facing Lee. He's a wild card.

In the dual, Ramos got a takedown on a go behind, and later threw Lee to his back with double overs -- that might have been a pin in free.

In the NCAA semis, he doubled Lee to his back, and hit a head pinch earlier at the end of the 1st that Lee rolled thru for no score in folk, would've been 4 in free. (And then the famous 3rd period head pinch.)

I'm now seeing a report that Ramos is NOT registered for the last chance qualifier and the deadline was 4-22.

Im going to Ireland with my girlfriend and will miss the entire thing. She's put up with me and Penn State wrestling so, I owe her that much lol
My wife and I were there at this time last year. Lately I've been thinking about a trip over soon, perhaps late September or October.

Reactions: Delcolion915
My wife and I were there at this time last year. Lately I've been thinking about a trip over soon, perhaps late September or October.
I can't wait. My ancestors are from County Down, I think it's on the coast. Did you see the coast or stick to the country side?

from Mitch Finesilver (picked off the Facebook group "The Wrestling Room"):
"Today I received the unfortunate news that I am not able to compete in the World Olympic Games qualifier in Istanbul, Turkey. As a result of safety concerns, the Israeli team has been prohibited from travel. While unfortunate, I understand the precautions necessary to ensure our safety as athletes.
I have trained for the past 5 years to qualify for the 2024 Paris Olympics, however, that dream will officially come to a close. I want to sincerely thank all the people who have been along with me for this crazy ride. Thank you to my coaches and teammates @cliffkeenwc and @umichwrestling for preparing me on this journey. I’m going to do my part to help my teammates win gold medals in Paris!
I never expected my Olympic run to end like this. However, when life throws you curveballs, the best you can do is be grateful for the people in your life and a life well lived.
I don’t know what’s next for me. I’m going to take some time to reflect. Regardless, I’m extremely thankful for the amazing sport of wrestling!"

How in HEDOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS can you remember all this stuff, or did you rewatch, read up on this. Are you part elephant?

from Mitch Finesilver (picked off the Facebook group "The Wrestling Room"):
"Today I received the unfortunate news that I am not able to compete in the World Olympic Games qualifier in Istanbul, Turkey. As a result of safety concerns, the Israeli team has been prohibited from travel. While unfortunate, I understand the precautions necessary to ensure our safety as athletes.
I have trained for the past 5 years to qualify for the 2024 Paris Olympics, however, that dream will officially come to a close. I want to sincerely thank all the people who have been along with me for this crazy ride. Thank you to my coaches and teammates @cliffkeenwc and @umichwrestling for preparing me on this journey. I’m going to do my part to help my teammates win gold medals in Paris!
I never expected my Olympic run to end like this. However, when life throws you curveballs, the best you can do is be grateful for the people in your life and a life well lived.
I don’t know what’s next for me. I’m going to take some time to reflect. Regardless, I’m extremely thankful for the amazing sport of wrestling!"
How sad for him and the other Israeli athletes. I'm reminded of 1972 Munich. 52 years later and we sadly still live in a world where we have to be concerned for Israeli athletes' safety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT