2. Michigan State

Slightly below OSU

Big Gulf between MSU and the next four, which are clustered together:

3. Rutgers

4. Maryland

5. Penn State

6. Michigan

7. Indiana

Too funny. What- you didn't pick Rutgers over Ohio State? ;)

Oh Al,

You're the poster child for RU graduates --- incapable of seeing the bigger picture. There are two rankings when it comes to B1G standings: overall record and B1G record. The two are not the same and the ordering of teams changes accordingly.

In the future, please be more specific as to your criteria before posting laughable crap.

I give you a "like" for this post RutgersAl, because I read it and I started laughing and have not stopped. Thanks for lightening the mood.:D

rutgres.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Al,

You're the poster child for RU graduates --- incapable of seeing the bigger picture. There are two rankings when it comes to B1G standings: overall record and B1G record. The two are not the same and the ordering of teams changes accordingly.

In the future, please be more specific as to your criteria before posting laughable crap.

This is a simple projection, which isn't much different from final The B1G East standings, both conference record and overall record, so not sure why you'd have a problem with this.

Guys ur missing the point here. Al I'm interested in how you came up with rankings 3,4,5.... Maryland and Rutgers both lose at least 14 starters a piece including both starting qb's. We return guys like Hack, Zettle, Hamilton, Lynch, etc and lose only 6 starters from last years squad. I'm really wondering where u are coming from with this especially since we play RU at home and MD in a neutral site

Reactions: Hotshoe
1. Ohio State

The class of the B1G

2. Michigan State

Slightly below OSU

3. Rutgers

4. Maryland

5. Penn State

6. Michigan

7. Indiana
You are truly a delight.

Guys ur missing the point here. Al I'm interested in how you came up with rankings 3,4,5.... Maryland and Rutgers both lose at least 14 starters a piece including both starting qb's. We return guys like Hack, Zettle, Hamilton, Lynch, etc and lose only 6 starters from last years squad. I'm really wondering where u are coming from with this especially since we play RU at home and MD in a neutral site
He's not serious. He's trolling in a joking way. It's all in good fun.

Rutgers 3rd?!?!!?? I thought they had USC level talent and we're going to the rose bowl again???

Reactions: psu00

Where is he coming from? New Jersey, the land of delusional sports fans

Al !!! Great to see you again. Still Carrying the Rutgers torch I see...

We'll even give you Maryland, and maybe between the two of you you can do better than....

57-3-1: Penn State's record against Maryland and Rutgers all-time

You caught us at our LOW point last year, at your home.

That ain't happenin' again

Forever is now, think about it

Reactions: Hotshoe
Hi Al,

Were you at the scrimmage Friday evening? Would like to hear your thoughts on the strengths/weaknesses of this years squad. How do you see your other school doing this year?

Looking forward to seeing you again come September. Maybe even sooner.

Quarterback play is going to be the biggest constraint on our success. Our guys are good enough to manage the game, but not sure that they're good enough to win the game yet. We also need more depth at linebacker, where we have decent starters but need to add more depth.

Our offensive and defensive lines should be among the best in the conference. The OLine is anchored by All American candidate Keith Lumpkin, who shut down Joey Bosa and Randy Gregory. Our Defensive Line is bolstered by the addition of 290+ LB Nose Tackle Kevin Wilkins, who is exceptionally quick for a guy his size, and one of the best wrestlers in NJ two years ago. I expect him to develop into a Vince Wilfork caliber tackle. The secondary is similarly bolstered with Kiy Hester, Davon Jacobs, Patrick Cioffi, and Delon Stephenson upgrading our safety positions, while Blessaun Austin and others upgrade our corner spots. I expect Rutgers to be more aggressive defensively, playing more man coverage.

Bruce Feldman says Al Golden needs to win 9 games to keep his job, so I think he gets the 9 wins, thx in large part to an easy schedule.

If PSUs OL turns out to be better than expected, PSU can be as good as #3.
Slots 3-6 are interchangeable, and will be largely influenced by how the offensive lines perform. Notice that of the guys you named that return, you didn't name any OL. It is difficult to win in the B1G without a good OL, and I'm not quite sure that PSU has one. You go from NFL draft pick Donovan Smith to a newcomer, who might need time to acclimate. We all know that spring games are bs, but how is it even possible for an OL to give up 5 first half sacks, even if they are of the two hand touch variety.

Slots 3-6 are interchangeable, and will be largely influenced by how the offensive lines perform. Notice that of the guys you named that return, you didn't name any OL. It is difficult to win in the B1G without a good OL, and I'm not quite sure that PSU has one. You go from NFL draft pick Donovan Smith to a newcomer, who might need time to acclimate. We all know that spring games are bs, but how is it even possible for an OL to give up 5 first half sacks, even if they are of the two hand touch variety.

Al, in all seriousness, I think this is one of the most level-headed posts I've ever seen from you. OSU is clearly the class of the league and MSU is a step behind them. And I agree that numbers 3-6 in the East are interchangeable. I'd probably have Michigan at #3, because I think they have more talent than the other 3 schools and I think they'll get a real boos from Harbaugh. I would put PSU #4 because of 1) blind homerism and 2) I think we have more pieces in place, i.e., the QB position. Rutgers and Maryland have a lot of pieces to replace. But all in all, a solid post.

Fair enough, however PSU was starting sophomores and Fresman last year on the line. Smith leaves as well as Diefenbach (who was hurt last year) but that's it, everyone's back, new recruits are here including jersey's Stephen Gonzalez. The line is bigger, faster, plus we have the #1 junco tackle in the country already practicing with us and a transfer from Stanford who was stuck behind an all American the last 4 years and can finally show what he can do.

doesn't Rutgers lose 3 starters from their line plus two 4 year starters in Nova and Burton, plus Kroft, plus Turzelli plus the fridge on offense alone? I'm also not sure where you're getting Keith Lumpkin shutting down Joey Bosa and Randy Gregory, both of those guys had good games against you and that was with Gary Nova as ur QB.

Also Al, not saying the guy won't be good, but don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to compare a guy whose not been a starter as the next Vince Wilfork? Esp when he's only 290 lbs and Wilfork's closer to 370

Last edited:
I can assure you that he is serious.

There is only one explanation when Rutgres (I think we should always spell it that way now) tries to come to our board with such ridiculous claims and the board BOT advocate says he's serious. The B1G is trying to make a rivalry where there is none.

There is only one explanation when Rutgres (I think we should always spell it that way now) What a juvenile suggestion. Then I guess you must be in the camp that says its OK for other program's fans to spell Penn State as PED State? Are you? tries to come to our board with such ridiculous claims and the board BOT advocate says he's serious. No more ridiculous than some PSU fans who predicted PSU to go 10-2 or better last year. He and I have socialized at length face to face and I can authoritatively tell you he has firm conviction to what he says. The B1G is trying to make a rivalry where there is none.

Al, in all seriousness, I think this is one of the most level-headed posts I've ever seen from you. OSU is clearly the class of the league and MSU is a step behind them. And I agree that numbers 3-6 in the East are interchangeable. I'd probably have Michigan at #3, because I think they have more talent than the other 3 schools and I think they'll get a real boos from Harbaugh. I would put PSU #4 because of 1) blind homerism and 2) I think we have more pieces in place, i.e., the QB position. Rutgers and Maryland have a lot of pieces to replace. But all in all, a solid post.

Thanks. Michigan and PSU are largely facing the same circumstance. If the OL is good, they have a chance to be good. But from what I've seen, this is going to be somewhat of a transition year for Michigan. Don't think they have the OL that Harbaugh wants. Harbaugh just doesn't have the horses, but I think he will get them in a matter of time. Shane Morris, can be very good, but like for every new qb, there will likely be a learning curve. I was surprised at the lack of talent in their secondary last year, which should be better with Peppers addition.

1. Ohio State

The class of the B1G

2. Michigan State

Slightly below OSU

3. Rutgers

4. Maryland

5. Penn State

6. Michigan

7. Indiana
Al, what do you see as Rutgers' conference and overall record for the coming season?

Quarterback play is going to be the biggest constraint on our success. Our guys are good enough to manage the game, but not sure that they're good enough to win the game yet. We also need more depth at linebacker, where we have decent starters but need to add more depth.

Our offensive and defensive lines should be among the best in the conference. The OLine is anchored by All American candidate Keith Lumpkin, who shut down Joey Bosa and Randy Gregory. Our Defensive Line is bolstered by the addition of 290+ LB Nose Tackle Kevin Wilkins, who is exceptionally quick for a guy his size, and one of the best wrestlers in NJ two years ago. I expect him to develop into a Vince Wilfork caliber tackle. The secondary is similarly bolstered with Kiy Hester, Davon Jacobs, Patrick Cioffi, and Delon Stephenson upgrading our safety positions, while Blessaun Austin and others upgrade our corner spots. I expect Rutgers to be more aggressive defensively, playing more man coverage.

Bruce Feldman says Al Golden needs to win 9 games to keep his job, so I think he gets the 9 wins, thx in large part to an easy schedule.

I think you're right about Al having to win 9 this year. I watched your spring game and one guy caught my eye. He caught the first TD pass. Big tall kid. He looks to be pretty fast with good hands. Who is he?

Fair enough, however PSU was starting sophomores and Fresman last year on the line. Smith leaves as well as Diefenbach (who was hurt last year) but that's it, everyone's back, new recruits are here including jersey's Stephen Gonzalez. The line is bigger, faster, plus we have the #1 junco tackle in the country already practicing with us and a transfer from Stanford who was stuck behind an all American the last 4 years and can finally show what he can do.

doesn't Rutgers lose 3 starters from their line plus two 4 year starters in Nova and Burton, plus Kroft, plus Turzelli plus the fridge on offense alone? I'm also not sure where you're getting Keith Lumpkin shutting down Joey Bosa and Randy Gregory, both of those guys had good games against you and that was with Gary Nova as ur QB.

Also Al, not saying the guy won't be good, but don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to compare a guy whose not been a starter as the next Vince Wilfork? Esp when he's only 290 lbs and Wilfork's closer to 370

If PSUs OL pans out, as you suggest, then it will be a great season for you, no doubt about it. But for me, PSUs OL performance right now is somewhat of an X factor, an unknown.

Didn't mean to suggest that Wilkins was the next Wilfork. Meant to say that Wilkins was Wilfork LIKE, in that he is good enough to occupy two blockers, freeing up the others to make plays. Lumpkin stoned both Bosa and Gregory, but Bosa and Gregory did have some success when they moved to the other side of the line.

Just like PSUs DL, Rutgers OL reloads with talented players who have played, so I don't expect to see any drop off in performance. Two of our three best WRs, Peele and Patton didn't play much of last year, as Peele was suspended the full year due to an off field transgression, and Patton missed much of last year due to a kidney injury. With their return, our WR corp is in a much stronger position. Furthermore, we add a 6'6" WR, Carlton Agudosi, who had a great camp, and should terrorize opposing defenses as long as he can catch the ball. He reminds me of USCs Dwayne Jarrett.

QB will likely see a productivity reduction, as our first year starter will go through a learning curve, but I'm expecting that to be offset by an effective running game. We've got three guys capable of running for 1,000 yards, Paul James, who will be back from injury, Robert Martin, and Josh Hicks. Our qb doesn't have to be good, he just has to be good enough to keep the defense honest.

Al, you make no mention of the incoming 2015 freshman classes of any teams. Do you consider them all equal? You just may be overlooking a few real impact players. Does Kyle Flood refuse to play Freshman? Doubt that will be the case with other B1G east teams.

For RU's sake., Wilkins better be a better football player than he was a wrestler. Two of the wresstlers who placed head of him are playing football at Monmouth and East Strousdburg and one is wrestling at Gannon. And who is Patrick Cioffi? Are you talking about Anthony Cioffi who for two years has been doing an award-winning impersonation of Powdered Toastman?

Reactions: NapaNit
ADVERTISEMENT